Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 00:37   #1

Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Having read about these pretty gaff cutters I decided I would like one for my next boat.

Everything I have read about the specification indicates they are ballasted with 2.5 tons encapsulated lead. I met with one owner who has one for sale (advertised as lood ballast, in Holland) and he advised the broker made a mistake and he is almost sure the ballast is steel.

Last week I viewed another Oysterman 22 and took with me a hand bearing compass. The boat was in the water. I removed the floor in the fore peak which I believe gave access to the top of the encapsulated ballast in the keel and placed my compass on the GRP surface. When I slid the compass to port the needle pointed to starboard, when I slip the compass to starboard the needle pointed to port. I was hoping the needle would not be affected. I am fairly sure the owner of this vessel thinks she is ballasted with lead but the results obtained using the compass take a bit of explaining.

Perhaps there is an alternative specification for the Oysterman 22 that I have not come across? Perhaps there were several different builders?

I would be pleased to receive info about these vessels, particularly with regard to their ballast.

Thanks

Mike
Mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 00:04   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
Having read about these pretty gaff cutters I decided I would like one for my next boat.

Everything I have read about the specification indicates they are ballasted with 2.5 tons encapsulated lead. I met with one owner who has one for sale (advertised as lood ballast, in Holland) and he advised the broker made a mistake and he is almost sure the ballast is steel.

Last week I viewed another Oysterman 22 and took with me a hand bearing compass. The boat was in the water. I removed the floor in the fore peak which I believe gave access to the top of the encapsulated ballast in the keel and placed my compass on the GRP surface. When I slid the compass to port the needle pointed to starboard, when I slip the compass to starboard the needle pointed to port. I was hoping the needle would not be affected. I am fairly sure the owner of this vessel thinks she is ballasted with lead but the results obtained using the compass take a bit of explaining.

Perhaps there is an alternative specification for the Oysterman 22 that I have not come across? Perhaps there were several different builders?

I would be pleased to receive info about these vessels, particularly with regard to their ballast.

Thanks

Mike

Many internally ballasted vessels are ballasted with pig iron, which is a mixture of iron and lead. Could be. Have run across a number of vessels described as lead ballasted which were actually pig iron.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 02:07   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Many internally ballasted vessels are ballasted with pig iron, which is a mixture of iron and lead. Could be. Have run across a number of vessels described as lead ballasted which were actually pig iron.
G'Day minaret,

Are you sure about this? I think that the term pig iron refers to the product coming from the first stage of the blast furnace which converts iron ore to, well, pig iron. In turn, pig iron goes through various processes which convert it to steel in its different forms. No lead is involved in this process AFAIK.

Cheers,

JIm
Old 20-04-2016, 03:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...I think that the term pig iron refers to the product coming from the first stage of the blast furnace which converts iron ore to, well, pig iron. In turn, pig iron goes through various processes which convert it to steel in its different forms. No lead is involved in this process AFAIK.
Cheers,
JIm
Right ➥ Pig Iron | International Iron Metallics Association | IIMA

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster