Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 01:37   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 114
Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Having read about these pretty gaff cutters I decided I would like one for my next boat.

Everything I have read about the specification indicates they are ballasted with 2.5 tons encapsulated lead. I met with one owner who has one for sale (advertised as lood ballast, in Holland) and he advised the broker made a mistake and he is almost sure the ballast is steel.

Last week I viewed another Oysterman 22 and took with me a hand bearing compass. The boat was in the water. I removed the floor in the fore peak which I believe gave access to the top of the encapsulated ballast in the keel and placed my compass on the GRP surface. When I slid the compass to port the needle pointed to starboard, when I slip the compass to starboard the needle pointed to port. I was hoping the needle would not be affected. I am fairly sure the owner of this vessel thinks she is ballasted with lead but the results obtained using the compass take a bit of explaining.

Perhaps there is an alternative specification for the Oysterman 22 that I have not come across? Perhaps there were several different builders?

I would be pleased to receive info about these vessels, particularly with regard to their ballast.

Thanks

Mike
__________________

__________________
Mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 01:04   #2
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
Having read about these pretty gaff cutters I decided I would like one for my next boat.

Everything I have read about the specification indicates they are ballasted with 2.5 tons encapsulated lead. I met with one owner who has one for sale (advertised as lood ballast, in Holland) and he advised the broker made a mistake and he is almost sure the ballast is steel.

Last week I viewed another Oysterman 22 and took with me a hand bearing compass. The boat was in the water. I removed the floor in the fore peak which I believe gave access to the top of the encapsulated ballast in the keel and placed my compass on the GRP surface. When I slid the compass to port the needle pointed to starboard, when I slip the compass to starboard the needle pointed to port. I was hoping the needle would not be affected. I am fairly sure the owner of this vessel thinks she is ballasted with lead but the results obtained using the compass take a bit of explaining.

Perhaps there is an alternative specification for the Oysterman 22 that I have not come across? Perhaps there were several different builders?

I would be pleased to receive info about these vessels, particularly with regard to their ballast.

Thanks

Mike

Many internally ballasted vessels are ballasted with pig iron, which is a mixture of iron and lead. Could be. Have run across a number of vessels described as lead ballasted which were actually pig iron.
__________________

__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 03:07   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Many internally ballasted vessels are ballasted with pig iron, which is a mixture of iron and lead. Could be. Have run across a number of vessels described as lead ballasted which were actually pig iron.
G'Day minaret,

Are you sure about this? I think that the term pig iron refers to the product coming from the first stage of the blast furnace which converts iron ore to, well, pig iron. In turn, pig iron goes through various processes which convert it to steel in its different forms. No lead is involved in this process AFAIK.

Cheers,

JIm
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 04:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Re: Oysterman 22 Ballast? Lead or Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...I think that the term pig iron refers to the product coming from the first stage of the blast furnace which converts iron ore to, well, pig iron. In turn, pig iron goes through various processes which convert it to steel in its different forms. No lead is involved in this process AFAIK.
Cheers,
JIm
Right ➥ Pig Iron | International Iron Metallics Association | IIMA
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oyster

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iron or Lead Keel - 1974 Islander 30 MKII outdoorsman37 Monohull Sailboats 2 29-01-2015 14:36
Want To Buy: Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed! Oregon Waterman Classifieds Archive 10 19-11-2013 07:17
For Sale: LEAD BALLAST 5 TON Folksail Classifieds Archive 1 12-08-2012 22:28
Lead vs Iron Keel Sailcat Construction, Maintenance & Refit 21 03-10-2011 17:01
For Sale: 'Chimney Iron' (Deck Iron, for Stovepipe) rbridge Classifieds Archive 1 18-07-2010 16:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.