Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2013, 09:12   #16

Re: Oxidized Gelcoat . . . What's Next ? Paint or Polish ?

OK folks -- time to update this old thread. I bit the bullet and painted using Awlcraft 2000 in Navy Blue. I chose Awlcraft over Awlgrip because of repairability. I considered other brands, but the contractor I hired uses Awlgrip products and I went with their choice.

After the last series of posts I went back to using compounding and wax for a few years.

I had to start each Spring with this porous faded gelcoat surface before bringing the shine back to the gelcoat. The gelcoat was shot, and even the top-rated waxes wouldn't last the whole year. I keep the boat on a mooring, and mid-season topsides waxing isn't practical:

Compounding would bring it back, though. When I was through compounding it would look like this.

But that wouldn't last.

So I bit the bullet and hired Cooley Marine Management to paint the boat. Cooley Marine Management LLC - Home Their quality is excellent and they kept every commitment. Very nice to work with, and I would recommend them.

Here are a few images to show the results:

Old 23-02-2013, 09:25   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

buffing it keeps your resale value--painted gelcoat is a pita and reduces value of an older boat, in my mind...is a detractor.

your hull looks great--i hope is an easily maintained finish--you should be sailing !!!

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
buffing it keeps your resale value--painted gelcoat is a pita and reduces value of an older boat, in my mind...is a detractor.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm quite sure this relatively care-free finish will only enhance the value. I speak with the voice of experience now, and I'd never buy another dark-colored gelcoat boat again. Put yourself in my shoes, having to compound and wax three (3) 39-foot hulls every year. That's about 240 linear feet (almost a football field). Much better to just wash it with soap and water, then wipe on some Awlcare and be done with it in one afternoon. Yes you're right, I should be sailing.

Paint is the way to go, IMHO, unless your gelcoat is some variation of white. All the newer production from this boat's maker are painted hulls, unless the owner chooses white.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: