Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2016, 11:13   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Overlooked or Obscure Tasks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Hudson Force, there is NEVER a reason to accept an electrical irregularity of any kind on a boat. Electricity is one of your best friends at sea, but is an unforgiving b#tch at the same time when things ain't right.

Now, you found a problem with you shore power cable. What was the cause of the failure? .................

Maybe you didn't read to the end of my post saying, "My mistake, of course, was to accept the deformity of my cord as a minor flaw. There is no excuse for me. It is not wise to accept any irregularity with a shore power cord. Thanks, Teknishin, your advise is well taken."

As you ask about the cause of the failure, I can not identify the event that caused the cord to be deformed at the juncture of the splitter. Possibly there was some excessive movement of my boat at the dock on some earlier occasion when the cord was not provided with enough slack. Regardless, the secure connection of the wiring within the splitter had been compromised.

Old 28-05-2016, 13:26   #32

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Hudson Force, Yes, I did read and understand your reply. I work in the boat and yacht repair industry (Hence my name here, "Teknishn". I am admittedly a bit anal about technical systems on boats. I apologize to you Sir if you misunderstood the intent of my previous post.

Installing technical systems on boats and yachts is what I do (electrical engineer, piping systems, pumps and motors, one-time boiler maker in the great age of steam powered ships in the US Navy).

Old 28-05-2016, 14:29   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hey Teknishin, no worries, I misunderstand people so often that I assume it's my issue, but I just wanted to point out that I was already in your camp.
Thanks again for your sage advice!
Old 28-05-2016, 15:18   #34

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

LOL Hudson Force,
There is no "camp" per se. This is a forum, a more relevant term would be a "campground" where we all come together to share advice, experiences, and mistakes. Some sage advice, some maybe not-so-much. Or maybe the opportunity to discuss new ways of doing things and helping others out (Including old, over the hill sailors like me!). Best....

But we've gone a bit off-topic here, haven't we?

OK back to business....how about checking to make sure you always have a left-handed crescent wrench onboard? ;-)
Old 28-05-2016, 22:04   #35

Boat: islandpacket

I have read several times about decarbonizing a deisel. I finely asked a mechanic friend about it. He said we do that when we rebuild it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: