Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36   #1

Outward Opening Portlights?

So does anyone know of any?

I understand an outward opening design complicates having an insect screen, but I just like the conceptual design strength/security of an outward opening portlight.

I've been shopping portlights and all I'm finding are inward opening designs. Anyone know of an outward opening portlight in stainless?

Thanks.
Sailinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Outward Opening Portlights?

You do not want ports to open outward and catch lines or snag ankles.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20   #3

Just get a small poodle, I hear they bite ankles readily. Cheaper too...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

An outward opening port light is also more prone to damage.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57   #5

I have outward opening port lights. Eight of them. Would recommend against them. They are a PIA to run out on deck when it's raining to close them.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KeysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02   #6

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

I gave this some thought on my current build, after all we have deck hatches and such that open out, come with screens, snag sheets and bark shins. my side decks are fairly narrow though and that's where I think theyed be a real pain. from the inherent strength perspective I came to the conclusion that the material of the lens/frame/dogs etc is quite a bit stronger than the surrounding cabin sides (mine are 1" epoxy-lammed MDF and glassed both sides) so the inside opening porthole doesn't pose any more of a risk than outward opening. what I don't get is why they are so damn expensive? im making (16) custom elliptical portholes with cnc polished alloy frames for about 25% of production rectangulars. for another 20% you could do the same in SS id think.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 17:31   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have 4 outward opening portholes in the Galley/dinning salon area and have the scars to prove it!

I guess the thinking was that it provides a sort of umbrella over the open hole when you have a light rain....but I hate them
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 05:28   #8

Boat: Wilson & Wilcox, Cape Islander, 42
Send a message via Skype™ to whalin

I have 4 outside opening portholes on my 1974 custom lobster boat. The reason that they are outside opening is that they were installed inside out! You can buy standard portholes and do the same. Don't do it!

First you have to go outside to close them, when it's raining, or at night when wife getting too cold, or when seas getting rough and spray coming through. All three situations are potentially dangerous. Second, I have scratched my legs numerous times on them and had lines,hoses, extension cords caught up on them. Third, if they have a plastic lens, the plastic will. Haze and become brittle due to UV and being more exposed to the elements. Fourth, everyone noticing the portholes are inside out will be questioning you as to why, or thinking your boat is poorly built be people that don't know what they were doing. Fifth,they are designed to open from the inside and have been for centuries because it is the right way to go.

My boat in currently in a yard getting refitted with all new windows/portholes.

Whalin
whalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 05:33   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Reading the above posts, it seems like a pretty impractical idea but if you still want them you might be able to install them backwards.

I know that if mine opened outward they would be a trip hazard on deck.
Old 14-04-2015, 06:20   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the security and strength issue is the glass .. not whether it opens in or out.
Old 14-04-2015, 06:59   #11

Boat: Wilson & Wilcox, Cape Islander, 42
Send a message via Skype™ to whalin

Another point; we tried leaving the portholes open for ventilation during the week while away from the boat. We tried different angles, ie 45 degrees open, then about 22 degrees, but rain always got in. We eventuAlly gave up. Our portholes are the common Beckson brand with plastic frame and an acrylic lens. The lens has a ridge around it for strength, but this ridge also holds water which the wind then blows inside the boat. Also, the way the hinges work, there is a gap between the cabin wall and the porthole lens when the lens is in an open position. Rain or spray easily finds its way into this gap and inside the boat. I have even tried putting the lens near vertical , which gives maximum ventilation and less likely to scratch legs. However, spray or light rain runs off cabin roof, hits lens which diverts water, you guessed it; inside the boat.

Initially one would think that an outward opening port would function like an awning, providing some shade and protection from rain. In reality, the way they are designed, an off the shelf mass produced ports when mounted in an outward opening fashion actually encourages water getting into the boat. You would have to build a mini awning over each port, if one insisted on outward opening ports.

Whalin
whalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the security and strength issue is the glass .. not whether it opens in or out.
But looking at portlights it seems clear to me that the CE (?) ratings (where/how the portlight is appropriately used/installed) are NOT dependent on the glass. Rather, it seems obvious that the ratings are dependent on the frames and dogs with stronger/full frames and more dogs being rated as stronger. If that is the case, it seems apparent that an outward opening light would be the most secure of all.
Sailinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portlights