Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 09:01   #1
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
Outboard Rudder, Gudgeon Bolt Holes Repair

Hello,

My gudgeon bolt holes in my outboard rudder and very sloppy.
I have the rudder off and inside a rented space.

Can I fill with West System and then re-drill new holes?

The holes are 2.5 inches deep.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:49   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate

Yes... but I'd add colidial silica to the mix to strenghten it more.... also I'd suggest a S/S plate/plates inside and out to spread loads and reduce wear where the bolts go through the hull...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bristol RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 638
There might be some confusion here. Are the holes in the rudder sloppy, or are the holes for the gudgeons in your boat's hull sloppy. If the former, then by all means fill and drill. If the latter, then Boatman61 is right. Normally the bits of hardware on the rudder are designated 'pintles', to distinguish from the 'gudgeons' on the hull.
__________________
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 10:03   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There might be some confusion here. Are the holes in the rudder sloppy, or are the holes for the gudgeons in your boat's hull sloppy. If the former, then by all means fill and drill. If the latter, then Boatman61 is right. Normally the bits of hardware on the rudder are designated 'pintles', to distinguish from the 'gudgeons' on the hull.
Think I'd still fit a plate under the fittings... if they've opened up once they'll do it again.... the vice-like effect will stop/slow a repitition
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:42   #5
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
I am such a looser, I apologive to both of you.

I meant pintles and not gudgeons.

The gudgeons on my hull are in great shape.

My problem is where the pintle's bolts go through my rudder, the holes in the fiberglass are worn and sloppy from 33 years.

Thanks
__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:48   #6
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I'd explore some bronze "sockets" to bush the rudder/pintle joint.. Easy enough to do. I think I saw some bronze tubing at Key West Marine Hdwe.... If not I'm sure KW Welding on Simonton would be able to turn you out some from solid stock. Overdrill the rudder and bed in the bronze with West Sys... Make sure the core of the rudder is ABSOLUTELY dry or the West won't adhere!
__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 02:36   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I am such a looser, I apologive to both of you.

I meant pintles and not gudgeons.

The gudgeons on my hull are in great shape.

My problem is where the pintle's bolts go through my rudder, the holes in the fiberglass are worn and sloppy from 33 years.

Thanks
IMO, if the original setup was simply holes drilled through the rudder and they worked for 33 years, then filling with epoxy/high density filler mush and redrilling should be a completely adequate fix. Don't over-engineer a simple job!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 00:44   #8
PAR
Registered User
 
PAR's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eustis, FL
Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Posts: 239
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
You should log onto the West System site and read up on "hardware bonding". In your application you'll want more then just straight a silica mix. Alone silica is very dense and tends to be brittle. The addition of milled fibers or cotton flock (West 403 is cotton) will greatly improve adhesion and elongation strength, both quite desirable here. A 50/50 mix is good.

It's important you have a dry rudder, so check the holes for moisture, which ideally should be below 15% moisture content. If it's wet, acetone baths can wick out a lot of it, as can a carefully used heat gun.
__________________
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08   #9
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
You should log onto the West System site and read up on "hardware bonding". In your application you'll want more then just straight a silica mix. Alone silica is very dense and tends to be brittle. The addition of milled fibers or cotton flock (West 403 is cotton) will greatly improve adhesion and elongation strength, both quite desirable here. A 50/50 mix is good.

It's important you have a dry rudder, so check the holes for moisture, which ideally should be below 15% moisture content. If it's wet, acetone baths can wick out a lot of it, as can a carefully used heat gun.
I have it sitting in the sun and it has been drying out quite well.
Very much help here, it's appreciated.
Thanks
__________________

__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outboard, repairs, rudder

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rudder Replacement / Repair Cost ? sgtPluck Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 11-06-2010 18:06
Stern-Hung Folkboat Rudder Repair - Need Help ASAP! daveyjustin Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 13-01-2010 00:20
Filling Bolt Holes sandycohen Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 23-12-2009 19:26
Serious Rudder Repair... Christian Van H Construction, Maintenance & Refit 31 06-09-2009 07:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.