Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26   #1

Boat: Boatless
Outboard in Winter

I have left my outboard on the boat all winter with no trouble and I have taken it off for the winter. Trouble is it is a real pain to get off and on. Any thoughts on disadvantages for leaving it on? It doesn't tilt up.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Is the boat in the water or on the hard?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19   #3

Outboard in Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Is the boat in the water or on the hard?
Oh, sorry, it is in the water.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Hi Jimske: It looks like you would have a problem getting the engine in and out, but the price of an engine would certainly justify rigging an easy way to haul it. Tell us what you have and where; someone might have a good suggestion.

I don't leave my boat in the water. I don't think its good to leave the engines in the water either, whether it freezes or not.
Yamahas like to be left upright to drain completely. I follow these steps each season: Haul the boat. Run the engines with the saltaway mixer hooked up until warm. Change the oil and filter. Restart the engine with cover off, fogging oil at hand, fresh water selected on the saltaway mixer. Disconnect fuel lines. Run the carb bowls dry. As the mixture leans and the engine speeds up spray intake with short puffs of fogging oil. When engine quits, plug intake with rag soaked in fogging oil. Let cool for half hour. Pull plugs, fog each cylinder while turning flywheel. insert new plugs. Wash down under the engine cover to remove salt residue, wipe down lower unit and prop. Change lower unit oil, grease fittings.

Then I leave them hanging upright, with locks on them. They both start (after normal priming) on the first try each season. What I haven't decided is what to do with the fuel in the tank.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 18:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Then I leave them hanging upright, with locks on them. They both start (after normal priming) on the first try each season. What I haven't decided is what to do with the fuel in the tank.
Good tips. But then you do leave the motor outdoors? I pull my Yamaha 9.9 up on it's support - it remains upright. It looks like I could do all that you suggest while on the boat except for the lower unit (which was done two seasons ago). I can unbolt it, disconnect the cables, attach the main halyard, haul it on deck, manhandle it to the dock, cart it to my truck and bring it home. Then do the reverse in the spring.

Just another chore I suppose!

J

Tags
outboard