Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2009, 12:32   #16

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Brookings is a nightmare! Their lift has serious issues and the Port management is very bad. We spent nearly a year trying to work with them and never got anywhere. During that time they went through three Port Directors, it was just a mess. They are also one of the most expensive places to haul and keep on the hard in the PNW. Too bad, because they have a lot of potential, but until they get a competent management team it's a place to avoid.

We are replacing the MD 33's because we are way over powered with them. I can pretty much sink my stern under full power. I'm also wanting the smaller and newer engines for the better fuel efficiency they will give me. The MD 33's are for sale if anyone wants them.

I went with the Yanmar's because they fit. My first choice was John Deere's but they were too high to fit under the cabine sole and I didn't want to loose head room. The Yanmar's will actually be 13" shorter in heighth and length and I'll gain near two feet in width between the two. This will allow me to lower the sole a couple of inches and still have a lot of room down below for the as yet unknown genset and water maker.

We will also replace the existing Whitlock steering system with a hydraulic system. If anyone needs a whitlock system ours is also for sale.

When we find one of those elusive "round to it's" we'll create a web site with lots of pictures and commentary about the project. If anyone knows a good source of "round tuit's" please give me a shout!

Regards,

TJ
Old 13-04-2009, 12:48   #17

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Brookings is a nightmare! Their lift has serious issues and the Port management is very bad. We spent nearly a year trying to work with them and never got anywhere. During that time they went through three Port Directors, it was just a mess. They are also one of the most expensive places to haul and keep on the hard in the PNW. Too bad, because they have a lot of potential, but until they get a competent management team it's a place to avoid.

We are replacing the MD 33's because we are way over powered with them. I can pretty much sink my stern under full power. I'm also wanting the smaller and newer engines for the better fuel efficiency they will give me. The MD 33's are for sale if anyone wants them.

I went with the Yanmar's because they fit. My first choice was John Deere's but they were too high to fit under the cabine sole and I didn't want to loose head room. The Yanmar's will actually be 13" shorter in heighth and length and I'll gain near two feet in width between the two. This will allow me to lower the sole a couple of inches and still have a lot of room down below for the as yet unknown genset and water maker.

We will also replace the existing Whitlock steering system with a hydraulic system. If anyone needs a whitlock system ours is also for sale.

When we find one of those elusive "round to it's" we'll create a web site with lots of pictures and commentary about the project. If anyone knows a good source of "round tuit's" please give me a shout!

Regards,

TJ

Hi TJ,

Really nice boat, hopefully will have something that nice someday!!

Have you thought at all about going with a diesel electric setup for propulsion?
hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 13:01   #18

Now you've gone and done it Hank!! I yearn for diesel electric, I dream about diesel electric and I'm convinced diesel electric represents the future! But......(there's always a but, right?)

The sad fact is no one is making a very good system at this point and we just don't have the technology available to store the kinds of power one would need to store to make a diesel electric system practical. I'm confident that will change in time, but it's not here today. I even toyed with the idea of building my own 60ish HP electric motors, talked to some engineers about the project etc. I think it's very doable right now and certainly needed.....but as a commercial enterprise we just don't have all the technology in place to do the job at this moment in time....so I decided to go cruising instead.

The folks who tell you their cobbled together 6HP electric motors when bolted back to back are just fine for 40'+ boats are being far less than honest in my opinion. HP is HP is HP no matter if it comes from gasoline, electricity or diesel. If you're boat needs 40HP to achieve hull speed in a sea way it needs 40HP no matter what the source. Sure those little 12HP rigs will move your boat in the marina, but at sea trying to claw your way off a lea shore you'll be sweating big time and probably end up on the rocks.

Bob Bitchn' of Lats and Atts fame made a big deal out of choosing one of those vapor ware companies for his new boat, but dropped the idea when he finally realized they were blowing more smoke than truth. I know there is a market out there for this, but I also know until we have more advanced technology it isn't practical.

My $0.02 worth anyway.

Regards,

TJ
Old 13-04-2009, 17:12   #19

Dear Yachts

Exactly , I was thinking of gravity because water and sediments precipitate by gravity , but of course I´m saying you can bleed by gravity because the integral tank doesnt allow that. A small pump can make the bleeding easy.

Good luck with your project,

ZENCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
No I haven't considered glass (don't like the smell), but Ameron makes an epoxy paint specifically for tanks and I'm planning on using that, which is yet one more reason for thos large access hatches in the top of the tanks!

Valves in bottom of tanks worry me, which is why I'm thinking a hard line running down to just off the bottom of the tank. I should be able to suck out all the water and crud that accumulates there with a vacuum gun.....right? Or am I not thinking right here?

I'll check out the ABYC web site, thanks.

Regards,

TJ
jose r vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:30   #20

Easy enough to use a small pump, even the oil drain pump would do. I just figured that since the volume would be smallish, my old trusty vacuum gun would do the job.

Regards,

TJ

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, refit