Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 12:33   #16

Boat: Davidson 31
Re: Our Project Boat

Yeah the work so far was done in 2 and a bit weeks as we pay about $30 a day to be on the hard, so it really hurts the old wallet if you take too long.

I hear the exchange rate between Canada and NZ dollars is pretty good for your side..... Happy to come over if your happy to pay hahaha

Shipwright by trade, adventurer by nature
Alistairnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:32   #17

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistairnz View Post
Yeah the work so far was done in 2 and a bit weeks as we pay about $30 a day to be on the hard, so it really hurts the old wallet if you take too long.

I hear the exchange rate between Canada and NZ dollars is pretty good for your side..... Happy to come over if your happy to pay hahaha

This is really good progress, much much better than mine.
Thanks for accepting the offer - come over and we'll talk....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:41   #18

We are coming up on our local sailing clubs slipway on Sunday where we only pay $1 a day which is awesome, but can only be up for 3 weeks, wait till you see what we can get done when we spend whole days on it not just after hours and weekends like last time!

I've never been so excited to do work hahaha

Old 21-10-2014, 03:54   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Great, hit it hard and see the lovely results!

Ann
Old 22-10-2014, 13:00   #20

Boat: CS36T

Looks great! Enjoy the thread keep us posted
Old 24-10-2014, 22:39   #21

Dried her out yesterday to water blast the hull, even though it's not very dirty as your not aloud to water blast on the hard at our yacht club. Was an interesting experience, I got paranoid she was going to slide out but settled in the mud fairly happily.
She comes out tomorrow, itching to get into the, hopefully, last fit out session.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414215361.334571.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	90320Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414215421.259585.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	90321

Old 28-10-2014, 02:06   #22

Made good progress over last two days.
Removed all the corroded aluminium window frames, we will be replacing with frameless windows.
Cut out the "soft patch" in the foredeck from underneath.... Bloody hell. Had to remove all the core from the deck above the V birth up front. It came out so easy and I was saturated by the time i finished cutting it out. So glad we got to it before it ran down the core in the side decks.

So far we have re laminated the forward bulkhead back to the deck and glued up the first layer of 9mm ply which will form the core of the deck repair. We are doing it from below so we don't sacrifice the factory non skid pattern.
It is really hard to see in the photos but it gives you an idea of what we are doing. Still have one more layer of 9'm ply to go up tomorrow before we glass it all in.

Happy days

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414487083.187430.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	90438

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414487126.812090.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	90439

Old 27-12-2014, 09:59   #23

Our Project Boat

So I've finally got time to sit down and finish off this thread.

We have been back in the water for a few weeks now having nearly blown the family apart trying to get all the work done. However we are finished and can all move on now.

So what did we do?
New windows
Cabin top and deck painted with 2 pot paint (sprayed)
Cockpit painted with two pot paint (sprayed)
Non skid all round (kiwi grip)
Re sealed all deck fittings
New outboard sheeting track
Painted out varnish on bulkheads
Painted saloon roof
New instrument panel
New electrics
New wiring
New plumbing
New auto bilge pump
New batteries
Solar panel
New squabs
New toilet and holding tank
Repaired wet foredeck core

She now has a new lease on life, can't wait to get out and start enjoying her now.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702742.550285.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	94387

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702605.837351.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	94382Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702636.934758.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	94383Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702663.500036.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	94384Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702689.716524.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	94385Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419702709.167927.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	94386

Old 27-12-2014, 14:04   #24

Boat: CS36T

Great work, now go enjoy her!
Old 27-12-2014, 14:24   #25

Looks good. Great boat I hear. Congratulations.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 10:55   #26

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Alistairnz;

From your last posting, it appears you have the forepeak done. Could. you go into some detail as to how that went after the first 9mm lamination? Simply curious,as I'm in process (come Spring)of re-laminating my foredeck from the inside, too. Still attempting to findtthe best method
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Alistairnz;

From your last posting, it appears you have the forepeak done. Could. you go into some detail as to how that went after the first 9mm lamination? Simply curious,as I'm in process (come Spring)of re-laminating my foredeck from the inside, too. Still attempting to findtthe best method

Hi Deltaten

Sure I forgot that I hadn't put up all the details....

Once we glued up the first lamination we then fitted a second laminate of 9mm ply but laid up in the opposite direction, we then drilled a series of 10mm holes throughout the second layer of ply to allow for the excess glue to hydraulic out when pushed up. The outboard and aft edges were cut on a 45' angle to allow the glass to wrap over easily.

We then plastered both surfaces to be glued with a fairly thick, not completely stiff, mixture of West Systems Epoxy and 406 silica glue powder. To gain a good join between the two layers we used short lengths of timber to tong the ply up from the bunk top and laid out the anchor and chain on the top of the deck to try and keep the correct camber.

Once the glue was set I jumped in with my 5" grinder to clean up all the glue that I had managed to spread everywhere. And ensure the edges were suitable for glass to wrap over and onto the existing boat.

We then taped the ply around the edges on to the hull and forward bulkhead with 3 layers of 400 gsm tri axial glass 6"wide and the same in the centre of the deck where our mooring clear is located (we keep her on a swing mooring) I used peel ply throughout the glassing sequence to keep grinding to a minimum but I still run a 24 or 36 grit disk over any glass before laminating to it.

We then payed up 3 layers of 400 gsm double bias in 1' strips over the triax. This layer was a bit over kill but we have a large family and we are not really racing her so a bit of extra weight is of no concern to us.

We then laid up 2 layers of 600 gsm double bias over the entire fore peak to finish off and seal the rest of the deck. Once cleaned up we lined the cabin with Flex2 marine grade nylon hull liner which is impregnated with an antibacterial chemical which stops mould growing underneath the carpet.

Our biggest problem from the repair was that the deck has ended up thicker and had to modify the thickness of the timber block that the anchor winch is bolted through. Likewise with any other deck fittings that are a tight fit now.

Throughout the whole job I've used West Systems epoxy as I have used it for years and trust it. We also used fast hardener to ensure we could get back in the next day and continue with the next laminate.

When fitting the new deck ware through the ply I have cut the holes and sealed the timber with a runny resin that I diluted with a methylated spirits to help it soak into the timber.

I don't think I've left anything out, the best thing you can do is be prepared, before we started we cut all the glass and timber labeled it all and stashed it in the boat in order so all we had to do was come in do a quick grind and clean then straight into laminating. I think the two of us went trough 500 or so gloves over the week it took us to do the job, and wear a hat when laminating over head.... I had to shave my head to get the epoxy out!!!

Old 28-12-2014, 12:22   #28

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Great work, she is certainly looking good. Did you finish all of that in the 3 weeks you had?

Question - the wooden handrails running both sides under the port lights (with the LEDs) - how are they attached to cabin side? Do you have wooden anchor pieces glued to the fiberglass? I am planning on adding that to my boat.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Great work, she is certainly looking good. Did you finish all of that in the 3 weeks you had?

Question - the wooden handrails running both sides under the port lights (with the LEDs) - how are they attached to cabin side? Do you have wooden anchor pieces glued to the fiberglass? I am planning on adding that to my boat.

Thanks SVTatia, No we had a month solid of rain so couldn't get the deck and cockpit painted until the rain stopped, were out of the water for 8 weeks in total. Even though we had to build a tent over her we couldn't get it water tight.

The wooden rails have angled blocks of timber glued and glasses onto the cabin combing then rails screwed and plugged. We also cut a rebate into the back of it to take the wire for the lights which are all piggy backed together. Just tried to keep it a bit tidier.

Old 29-12-2014, 08:17   #30

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thanks Alistairnz
Quite a bitnof glass on that thick core!
I neglected prior; but what a beauty!Excellent! Gives me hope and. course t. steer with my re-do
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote