Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 16:31   #1

Osmosis : repair now , or delay?

Have discovered a small patch (6in x 6in) of what appears to be osmosis just above waterline.

Problem is I'm about to head off on 1-2 year cruise, departing in 3 months time.

Looking for input on if I should repair now , before I go, or can I wait till I return in about 2 years. Ideally input with owners who've also had osmosis , or those who have repaired it.

My current plan is to lift her in a few weeks.. grind the area, dry for a month, repair local area only. After cruise I will haul her out for approximately a year then get above water line hull area treated all over with some kind of barrier.

Other info: Approx 12 months ago the boat was out of the water , had 2 layers of barrier epoxy applied and coppercoat anti foul. There is no sign of blistering below the water line. It is probably cheaper to get a patch repair done now where I am , than anywhere likely on the cruise.
mblowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:42   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Osmosis : repair now , or delay?

If it is above the water line and that size I would want to know what is going as this is not osmosis but sounds more like de-lamination. Can you better describe what this area looks like? A photo could help. Doing a barrier coat above the water line would not do any good. Barrier coats are keeping water out below the water line. Do you know for sure there is water in this area? have you checked it with a moisture meter?
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 17:53   #3

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi, I have a similar issue. What may have happened is that the barrier coat has trapped the water in the laminate. As the pressure builds up it has gone up the laminate above the barrier coat where it has then relieved the pressure by blistering the gel coat above the barrier coat.
Sailvayu is right it's not osmosis but hydrolysis cased by osmosis.
From what I have read all boats have varying degrees of water penitration in their hulls causing hydrolysis. The difference is some show blistering in very short period of time and other may never blister.
If you put off doing something about it you run the risk of it getting worse.
If you are heading for a warmer location I would do something before you leave as heat tends to exasperate the problem.
Good luck!
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 17:59   #4

Thanks to both replies so far.. will get a photo over the weekend. This idea of hydrolysis makes some sense - I was stumped with it showing just above the waterline..

Please keep ideas coming.

I am already in warm climate btw.. (Singapore).. so hopefully this will present itself as bad as it will get now.. will be cruising to Australia , and cooler waters.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:07   #5

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Yeah that make sense, I think mine appeared whilst the boat was on the equator too.
I would seriously consider relieving pressure by bursting some or all the blisters.
They are never going to re laminate themselves and the water is in there so why not let it out?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 18:31   #6

mmm.. well when I say above waterline, it is just above waterline.. if there is a bit of rocking in the marina, the area in question does dip in the drink..

In this situation , puncturing might let more in ..

Tags
osmosis