Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2012, 23:59   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Osmosis question - I hope Minaret is listening!

Steve, you mentioned you plan to acquire a peeler for your bottom job. Ever do the exploratory grind? Did you find a moisture meter and get a reading? Or is it easier for you to just peel it, given that it's obviously blistered and you are in a locale where it's difficult to acquire equipment? You will need a moisture meter after peeling as well, so you can determine when the bottom is dry enough for coating. Hope you can get a Gel Plane unit into Turkey for a reasonable sum, maybe if you can find another boater in your area with the same problem you can go Dutch on a peeler and it's import? In any case, you seemed interested in learning about how to peel, so I made a quick Youtube vid of my boat getting peeled. The operator is fairly new to this, it's his third or fourth bottom. He is definitely still learning, but you can see that even an inexperienced operator can still do good work with this tool. Ensuring an even removal of material and thus a fair bottom is the name of the game here. This is the same bottom I posted pics of the pox on earlier in this thread. The gel is exceptionally thick on this one, or the operator would be taking a wider bite. In this case that would just create chatter and burn up belts, as the depth of cut is pretty extreme for a single peel. I'll post a pic or two of the bottom after grinding as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec. 2012 022.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	51751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec. 2012 023.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	51752  

Name:	Dec. 2012 024.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	51753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec. 2012 029.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	51754  

Name:	Dec. 2012 030.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	51755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec. 2012 002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	51756  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 02:31   #17

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick
Hi Minaret,

We didn't do an exploratory grind deeper than the shots I posted. It's clear that the hull needs to be peeled. I can't get a moisture meter in Turkey where I am, and we can't treat the hull this year. I'm currently sealing up the hull again, but today, I've dropped the rudder off. There's no gel coat on the rudder, and the osmosis is different to the hull, the pits are wider and deeper, and there's evidence of hydrolysis, some of the glass fibers are white, leading away from the pits. I take that to be resin decay from water migrating along the fibers.

I've found a local guy who will just peel the rudder back to solid glass. I'm hoping I can borrow a moisture meter to determine how deep we have to go. We can dry the rudder indoors with fans and heaters, but can only afford a few days drying. I know it may need longer, bit I couldn't leave it as it was. I'll probably give it two layers of glass and epoxy resin, then barrier coat it.

Thanks for the great video on the gel plane. I will look to buying one, probably in the UK. Then I need to find a cheap hard stand, somewhere warm, where we want to spend a summer, and have at the whole hull.

Thanks again for the excellent advice.

steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 03:26   #18

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Re: Osmosis question - I hope Minaret is listening!

I wouldn't waste any money on an affected hull. If you cannot repair it properly just now simply splash some anti fouling on it and properly fix next year.

If you put something like intershield on it now all you do is lock in the moisture in the laminate allowing it to do more damage, I sailed my boat with just anti fouling for a whole year when it didn't want to dry after a complete peeling job. The contact with water assisted in flushing out the hull and being able to dry it out the next season.

Long story; I ended up doing all that a couple more times until I discovered hotvac.

Sailors do it with the wind...
sigmasailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: