Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 13:39   #31

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: Opinions wanted on Canopy.

I'll see if I can upload the pics this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabbatical II launch 011.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	48964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabbatical II launch 012.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	48965  

Name:	Sabbatical II launch 013.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	48966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabbatical II launch 015.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	48967  

Name:	Sabbatical II launch 017.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	48968  
Old 29-10-2012, 14:07   #32

Boat: HUNTER PASSAGE 450 "TARENTELA" & CHIEN HWA 35 TRAWLER "AVALON"
Thumbs up Re: Opinions wanted on Canopy.

Don't forget to pre-wire for the overhead lights, reinforce for the support stanchions, and be adventurous for anything else you can conceiveably imagine in the future such as speakers, overhead instruments, etc. PM me for more detailed construction advice if you like.
YACHT TARENTELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:58   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
I'll see if I can upload the pics this time.
Now thats a good looking practical protect protection from the elements and necessary for most climates.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 00:25   #34

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Well. What do you think??
We managed to get things set up on the boat here are the pics.
Note that this is not the final design but gives us a pretty good idea what it will look like when installed.

Name:	DSCF2667.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	48997Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2660.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	48998

Name:	DSCF2657.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	48999Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2656.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	49000
Old 30-10-2012, 01:21   #35

Your mock up is about how our mock up started. We then found that we had to find subtle ways to take away the visual impact of such a high canopy to be less severe in the looks department. We lowered it over the companionway because you start to stoop a bit at that point anyway. We just made sure that the top of the window level was not below my eye height. We also lost a bit of height at the sides because you don't actually need full height over the cockpit seats. The changes are small but greatly improved the look. Are you intending to split the windows? If so, have a look at my photo from the helm and imagine it with a horizontal bar through it. Before you put in all the work feel free to come and have a look at mine in the flesh.
Old 30-10-2012, 01:48   #36

Quote:
Your mock up is about how our mock up started. We then found that we had to find subtle ways to take away the visual impact of such a high canopy to be less severe in the looks department. We lowered it over the companionway because you start to stoop a bit at that point anyway. We just made sure that the top of the window level was not below my eye height. We also lost a bit of height at the sides because you don't actually need full height over the cockpit seats. The changes are small but greatly improved the look. Are you intending to split the windows? If so, have a look at my photo from the helm and imagine it with a horizontal bar through it. Before you put in all the work feel free to come and have a look at mine in the flesh.
Thanks for the offer to visit Greg, might take you up on it in a couple of weeks as I am back to work in WA tomorrow. But rest assured I am casting a very detailed eye over your canopy and you will be seeing some design changes over the next few days. I will post changes as I get them ready.
One thing I am curios about is how they got such a good finish on both the underside and outside of your canopy. That will be the next research lesson, write after I master Google sketchup I will be studying "Fiberglassing for idiots". Can't wait.
Old 30-10-2012, 02:27   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
One thing I am curios about is how they got such a good finish on both the underside and outside of your canopy. That will be the next research lesson, write after I master Google sketchup I will be studying "Fiberglassing for idiots". Can't wait.
Separate moulds were made for the outer and inner skins before fiberglassing and there is a foam core between the two skins.
Old 01-11-2012, 00:19   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by YACHT TARENTELA View Post
Don't forget to pre-wire for the overhead lights, reinforce for the support stanchions, and be adventurous for anything else you can conceiveably imagine in the future such as speakers, overhead instruments, etc. PM me for more detailed construction advice if you like.
Thanks for the ideas.
It would be good if people think of something they could add it to this list.
Overhead lighting (wiring)
Reinforcing for all structural areas
Speakers
Overhead instruments
Freshwater catchers (plumbing)
Boom gallows?
Old 01-11-2012, 00:55   #39

Quote:
Separate molds were made for the outer and inner skins before fiberglassing and there is a foam core between the two skins.
Having never done any fiberglassing before, maybe someone could explain the process if I was to build both the female & male molds.
The way I see it, you build the molds,
jelcoat the male mold
fiberglass it then let it set
Attach the foam. Know this is the bit that confuses me. Attaching the foam? and I assume it needs to be very accurate or does the resin fill the gaps?
Lets assume that the male mold is complete with all the foam stuck on and sanded into the perfect shape to match the waiting female mold?
Do you just apply resin to the outside shell and stick it together hoping that it is an exact mirror of the foam male component with no voids?

So you can see I am just really trying to get my head around the process, as it helps me with the design.
Thanks
Also, Sabbatical. Would I be about right if I assumed your front window slope was at about 45 deg off the vertical?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39   #40

Quote:
Having never done any fiberglassing before, maybe someone could explain the process if I was to build both the female & male molds.
The way I see it, you build the molds,
jelcoat the male mold
fiberglass it then let it set
Attach the foam. Know this is the bit that confuses me. Attaching the foam? and I assume it needs to be very accurate or does the resin fill the gaps?
Lets assume that the male mold is complete with all the foam stuck on and sanded into the perfect shape to match the waiting female mold?
Do you just apply resin to the outside shell and stick it together hoping that it is an exact mirror of the foam male component with no voids?

So you can see I am just really trying to get my head around the process, as it helps me with the design.
Thanks

Also, Sabbatical. Would I be about right if I assumed your front window slope was at about 45 deg off the vertical?
The angle seems to be about 45 degrees and you seem to have it pretty right with your mock up. I'm no fiberglass expert but this is how mine was done. (I think)

1. Male mold was made for the outer skin. The outer skin was then laid up with gelcote and then fiberglass and then popped out.
2. Male mold was made for inner skin. The inner skin was then laid up in the mold.
3. Sheets of foam coring material was laid on top of the inner skin while it was in the mold. The sheets were laid very close together so that there was negligible gaps to fill.
4. The inner skin and coring material was popped out of the mold.

I didn't see the joining process, but the thin skins and foam coring give a very strong structure that weighs in at only 120 kg ( I think without the window glass)

Please don't rely on any of my information as I don't truly understand the processes. If I was doing a home made version, I'd be inclined to do a single skin set up that was flow coated on the inside. It wouldn't look quite as neat but it would still be pretty good.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58   #41

You see, this is what is confusing me. I wold have thought that you would need a female mold for the external surface in order to give it that professional finish? Or do they just sand and polish to get that mirror finish?

You may be wright about just doing the outside but yours look so good, you have already let the Jeanie loose.
Its actually the molds that we have the capabilities to build, so at this stage we can afford to spend time and money on getting them as good as we possibly can and we may get a professional in for all of the fiberglassing process, Its early days still.

Sorry about the spelling, my laptop keeps dropping the u's.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28   #42

Boat: Spray Replica

Hi Guys,
We went through all of the same procrastinations and deliberations before we built our windscreen and dodger. The height of the enclosure and the angle of the windscreen can seriously change the aesthetics of your boat. I was surprised how far we were able to bring the angle of the windscreen back over the companionway without hindering access. My original plans were a lot more upright and I think would have been ugly.
I have detailed the whole construction process on our website at this link (Blog) Windscreen and Dodger Part I: The design and...

We are now 3 years down the track on our circumnavigation and have put a lot of miles under the keel. We love our cockpit enclosure. It has kept us dry and safe and received a lot of favourable comment from other cruisers.

If you have any questions about the construction just drop us an email.

Garry and Wendy
Spirit of Sobraon

sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54   #43

Re: Opinions Wanted on Canopy.

Here is the latest design. we have put a step below the windows at the front, to use as foot hold for getting onto the roof.
The other big change we are thinking about is to build it in aluminium, as my freind was once a boiler maker so we where thinking it may be a better way to go for us. Fell free to chime in with the pros and cons.

Name:	Cockpit4a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	49616

Name:	Cockpit4b.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	49617

Name:	Mockup3c.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	49618
Old 23-02-2013, 17:48   #44

Quick update and question.
The canopy is being built and I will post pics as soon as I have them. About a week away.

The other Question is for all those that are currently living with a covered cockpit.
Is it an absolute necessity to have a hatch, window or some other way of viewing the sails through the canopy roof? Bearing in mind that this is a cruising boat, not going to be racing it any time soon.

Jeff
Old 24-02-2013, 09:54   #45

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Is it an absolute necessity to have a hatch, window or some other way of viewing the sails through the canopy roof? Bearing in mind that this is a cruising boat, not going to be racing it any time soon.

Jeff
I have a soft canopy that extends over the helm with a window above. I use it quite often. There are even times I have to stick my head out the side to see the mainsail better. But I would say yes!

Tags
wanted