Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2012, 11:02   #1
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Online Machine Shops & Fabricators ?

With folks having more parts custom fabbed to make repairs, I thought it might be useful if we could gather up a listing of online machine shops and fabricators, places that will take a CAD file and ship back a part. Instrument panel faces, mast steps, whatever.

So I'm inviting anyone who knows of them to add to a list.

There's www.emachineshop.com who supply free CAD software and will work from standard autocad files. A bit pricey but offering a lot of variety.

And www.frontpanelexpress.com who make all sorts of panels for breakers, etc. die cut and engraved.

I know I've heard of a couple of places that are doing 3D printing now (yes, printing, they "print" up layers in a plastic resin to generate an actual 3D part in color) but I'm hoping there are a lot more resources out there. Anyone want to share?

Old 21-02-2012, 11:29   #2
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Online machine shops & fabricators?

I used one in Ft Lauderdale that was outrageously expensive that I won't even list them here. There excuse was that me supplying a CAD file using mm instead of inches must have meant I required more precision with a higher price tag... but required precision was listed on the drawing which was 0.5mm. They just couldn't handle anything metric I think.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 21-02-2012, 11:38   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wonder what kind of homebuilt CAD machinery couldn't automagically take metric, inch, Whitworth or any other spec and "just do it".

Oh, wait, isn't there a Fischer-Price Home Machinist's Mate kit, sold alongside the EasyBake Ovens?
Old 21-02-2012, 11:41   #4
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
I wonder what kind of homebuilt CAD machinery couldn't automagically take metric, inch, Whitworth or any other spec and "just do it".

Oh, wait, isn't there a Fischer-Price Home Machinist's Mate kit, sold alongside the EasyBake Ovens?
Yes, it was ridiculous. And they are the go-to place of Ft Lauderdale... but not for bringing CAD drawings I guess.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 21-02-2012, 11:44   #5
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified

I used FPExpress for my elec panel. They were ok. Work is very good. Price was ok, IIRC about $180 for this one part but for a one-off unique piece that's cool I think. The software was easy to download and use. Their material stock is a bit limited but they're market is pretty much electrical panels.

I appologize for the poor picture quality.

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 15:11   #6

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dude, don't make fun of my Fisher-Price home tools, CamBam converts between metric and inches in one click, and Mach3 transparently runs NC files in different units.

I've had really good luck with local machine shops in developing countries. In first world countries it seems like people are either too busy for a short project or completely incompetent (and attached to a boat yard).
Old 21-02-2012, 16:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

I would like to point out a few things regarding custom machined parts. First, they are expensive. For example, a small round shaft may cost $120 for a single part with $100 being for set up and programming. So, piece price for four identical parts will fall quickly to only $45 each. Second, stainless steel is expensive. High quality, mass produced parts are manufactured using investment castings. Secondary operations may only be polishing. There is little to no wasted material. Machining parts from billet material creates a lot of waste. A two pound part may have been produced from a five pound billet. Third, engineering isn't free. I will happily take your data and produce a part from it. I will also happily take a sketch on a napkin, create the data and produce a part from it. Creating the data, much like machining, is not a free service.

Kevin Huitema

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: