Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 09:18   #1

Online courses for marine electrician study (or Diesel Maint. for that matter)

Hi Cruiser Forum-

I have been reading your forums and learning a lot for some time now, and am preparing for my plan to get away from "the cubicle life", and am nearly there.

I'd like to take a course in marine/boat (or general) electrician work and marine diesel engine troubleshooting and maintenance. I'd prefer it to be online and not at the local community college for scheduling reasons, and maybe cost.

I have looked online and not found anything, so I am coming to all of you to see what someone might know about, or maybe suggest the next best idea along those lines.

Lastly, I pegged electrician work and engine work as the two best things to take courses on. I have sailing experience under my belt. But if there was another area I should also look at that would pay to know about when I am "out there" in the way of being prepared, I'd like to hear that too.

thanks!

Peter
peters323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:14   #2

Boat: Peterson 34
Re: Online courses for marine electrician study (or Diesel Maint. for that matter)

A lot of technical colleges have diesel training courses that you would find worth far more than the cost. You won't find much online. You could get some books on diesel engines/repair/troubleshooting. ABYC has standards that you need to know if you want to do electrical work on boats. I think a copy costs a couple hundred $. A lot of the skills you want to learn are taught by apprenticeship not online. I personally would not let you touch ANY of my boats systems if the only training you had was through an online course. I can't say there are a lot of boat yards that would let you work on customer boats with that training either. You really need to think about that if you want to make a career out of this. Diesel engine mechanics make good money and are in high demand in both marine and fleet operations. See if you can find a Yanmar training course through them or their affiliates. Doing machine shop work (rebuilds+performance) is also highly valued but that again is also done through years long apprenticeship.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:21   #3

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25
Re: Online courses for marine electrician study (or Diesel Maint. for that matter)

Nigel Calder"s Book (spelling??) less than $50.
good luck
joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:35   #4

Boat: Passport 40

I doubt you will find any online courses. I have trouble finding hands on courses that are a couple of days. The only one I have found is in Annapolis and I was never able to book a course the small time I was there. My boat is now in Charleston, and will soon be in Florida, and Im looking to grab a 2-3 day course somewhere, since Im diesel/mechanically agnostic.

Cheers.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:45   #5

This is the OP here. I did want to clear up any confusion. I was considering what online courses that are out there in order to prepare having to work on my OWN boat (when I get her), mainly for the basics and things I might run into afloat, and not in order to get a position in that marine fixing business and working on others' boats.

It may not make too much of a difference in the answers, but I thought i should make that clarification in case it does.

so far, though, I like your responses. thanks!

PS
peters323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 13:26   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

This is one I found in NE Florida. Don't know the school/class quality as I've never talked to them. But was thinking of taking the course down the road.

School-ENG.htm

714 Beech Street
Fernandina Beach
Florida 32034
Old 16-06-2017, 08:27   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Check the ABYC website. They sell a marine electricians study guide that covers all of the ABYC requirements. The study guide is set up to prepare you to take the Marine Electrician certification exam. It is a bit pricey at $100, but it should be the gold standard when it comes to marine electronics.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:50   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Check the ABYC website. They sell a marine electricians study guide that covers all of the ABYC requirements. The study guide is set up to prepare you to take the Marine Electrician certification exam.
If anyone has looked at this I'd like to hear if they thought it's something beginners would get much out of or if it would be too deep.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:18   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters323 View Post
This is the OP here. I did want to clear up any confusion. I was considering what online courses that are out there in order to prepare having to work on my OWN boat (when I get her), mainly for the basics and things I might run into afloat, and not in order to get a position in that marine fixing business and working on others' boats.

It may not make too much of a difference in the answers, but I thought i should make that clarification in case it does.

so far, though, I like your responses. thanks!

PS
You are taking a very sensible approach.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:36   #10

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

Some of the best advice about this is something I learned from Captain John's Skipper Tips. He says "hire a marine diesel mechanic at his or her's hourly rate, one who is authorized by your diesel manufacturer, (Yanmar tech etc).

Have him teach you the basics of engine maintenance, and repair. It's on my to do list this year.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Nordic 34 - 34'

In my research online of ABYC standards I came across the USPS Marine Electrician Study as a great course if you can attend it. All based on ABYC standards. See if you can find a course near you. Unfortunately I haven't seen one up here in AK. Must be more east coast but it sounds very thorough.

See if this link will take you there and if not Google it. ( United State Power Squadrons Marine Electrical Systems.

https://www.usps.org/index.php/cours...trical-systems

For gaining working knowledge of diesels online, Steve D'Antonio is excellent and his Emagazine will help out a lot. Nothing like hands on though and getting exploded diagrams of your engine and going for it.
SeaAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 10:08   #12

Boat: Catalina 400

I took the hands-on Diesel Tech levels I and II last year at Annapolis School of Seamanship. Great classes, deep troubleshooting training, and real engine teardown/build everything down to valve spacing/timing and good discussions.

About $1000, worth every penny.

Haven't called my regular mechanic since, though admittedly, so far I've had no major problems, only minor stuff and routine maintenance. Class has already paid ROI.

----
Sorry, not much help on electrical training, I'm a low-voltage contractor for a living and am already comfortable with ABYC code wiring/circuits/etc.
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 10:11   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since you don't want to take a class where you go to a "hands on" experience, your online learning could include a book.

Start Here:

The "bible" or GO TO book for Diesel Engine troubleshooting is:

Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair
by Nigel Calder

320 pages of good stuff (or homework )
$16 for immediate download to a Kindle or tablet (good for a boat).

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Diesel...roubleshooting
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 10:40   #14

Boat: Casacde 36

If your background is as a "Cubicle Dweller" I'd strongly suggest going with some type of class which combines practical and on-line. I have encountered many owners who have "passed" and on line course and are still hopelessly lost when it comes to working on their boats.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 11:00   #15

Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

Any diesel course you take that doe not include only the diesel engine that is on your boat is potentially a waste of time.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric, marine