Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 11:30   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Online courses for marine electrician study (or Diesel Maint. for that matter)

Diesel, probably a weekend class with Mack Boring.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:47   #17

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch
Re: Online courses for marine electrician study (or Diesel Maint. for that matter)

I don't think Peters was trying to become certified worker but to have the skillset to go cruising with. I agree, the Diesel classes at local colleges are really good and worth the time. I wouldn't say the same for the expensive marine classes, however they do have value when you consider the alternative of a breakdown in the boonies and you fix it yourself - thousands saved in the states, but most small ports overseas have some magic mech who keeps the fishing fleet fishing. Electrics - I'm going to agree with Calders book - I've done all my own work during my 3 yr cruise and most of my own work since living aboard again the past 5 yrs.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 13:17   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

Any diesel course you take that doe not include only the diesel engine that is on your boat is potentially a waste of time.
Stu, I agree with electrical systems 101. There were two books published DC Fundamentals and AC fundamentals that I would recommend. Both text books, circa late 50s or early 60s as a published date.

So many questions would be answered without these posts. Definitely help those when the net is not available. Basic electricity has not changed since Edison and Tesla.

t
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 13:21   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've taken a number of ABYC courses and am a fan. They are not however, designed for beginners who would have a real struggle with them particularly the electrical and corrosion courses.
Old 17-06-2017, 17:09   #20

Excellent electrical.
Electronic Specialties 182 Book - Instructional
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 17:21   #21

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Seven Seas programs at:

https://events-na5.adobeconnect.com/...Tag=1624693570
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:10   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450

I just signed up for the 2 Annapolis classes that was just mentioned. I'm in Florida so I'll fly up and stay in some lodging. Prolly rent a car to pass the evenings and check out the area. The whole trip,lodging, classes, air fare, food and car will prolly be a little over 2k.

I did search Mack Boring but it seems their man Larry who teaches retired and so did the classes on diesel. It is a little pricey but the value I believe I'll gain will be repaid my first WTF moment.

I know this is not the direction you asked about but it may fill in part of the whole diesel training picture.

Good luck
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:16   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr336 View Post
I just signed up for the 2 Annapolis classes that was just mentioned. I'm in Florida so I'll fly up and stay in some lodging. Prolly rent a car to pass the evenings and check out the area. The whole trip,lodging, classes, air fare, food and car will prolly be a little over 2k.

There are trade-offs between car, shuttle, and hotel, but if you stay at the downtown Waterfront Hotel you'll be within walking distance of everything (downtown, city harbor area), including the diesel classes.

-Chris

Tags
diesel, electric, marine