Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2012, 15:47   #1

Boat: 40' steel Trawler
old steel boats

Hi folks

It's been a while since I was last on the forum and hope everyone is having a fabulous boating season. I just purchased a 40' steel trawler and am here seeking advice from the most knowledgable people in the boating world.
This boat is going to have a lot of work done to it because it has been sorely neglected by it's preveous owner, whom should never have
been allowed to own a boat in the first place.

So here's what's going to happen to it.

It has a glass-over-wood superstructure that is in such terrible disrepair
that it all must be replaced. I'm currently building a new all-steel superstructure in my shop. I,m not sure if it's the right thing to do (steel)
but it will solve a lot of water leaking issues around joints, windows, doors and such.

This boat has 2-200 gal. fuel tanks in it that are positioned crossways amidships and I was wondering if they should be positioned fore and aft.
EG: for ballast reasons.

Next, is the issue of keels. It has none --- bad idea.
This boat has a stern engine room with twin Perkins T6-354's in it connected thru Walker V-Drives turning 24"x22" x 4 blade wheels.
I want to weld protective keels under her for obvious reasons, but am not sure how long these keels should be.

You are All probably wondering what is wrong with my head by now, to take on a project like this.

Well ther are 2 Reasons --- this hull is built completely of Stainless Steel- outside and inside. The hull welding and finish is impecable. It has very nice lines for a steel boat. Built in 1968--- NO RUST.

The Power trains --- Perkins --- all that needs to be said.

So if some of you could please reply with helpful input, or any other input for that matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you don't mind me asking more questions in the near future.

Capt Nemo
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:01   #2

Boat: Modifying Steel Junk-rig Schooner - Tom Thumb 26
Re: old steel boats

Crevice corrosion won't be noticeable until.....CRACK.

The keel idea would counteract the added weight of the superstructure. Do you have a naval architect to help you out? Consider the boatdesign forum

All the best, you lucky devil you.
Ps 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:03   #3

Re: old steel boats

Sounds like a boat to be saved if ever there was one. SS hull, that is amazing! This is a project I would like to follow along with you on. Please keep us posted and pictures are always great to look at.

Good luck
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: