Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 07:37   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Old Lines - Keep or toss

The lines on my boat seem to be fairly sun faded and old - how old I don't know. I also received a large box of lines when I bought the boat last year. They range from halyards to 2 braid docking lines.

How do I know when it's time to replace halyards?

How do I know if any of these extra lines are worth keeping?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 07:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Old Lines - Keep or toss

Chuck out anything looking a bit suspect, in fact leave by the bins and someone else will be grateful for your free offering. Take the rest home and put them through the washing machine. Sort out a few nice long ropes for general duties plus some for permanent mooring lines. Choose another set of clean ones to keep on board. The rest leave at home because like us you just don't have the room on a 31 foot yacht to store everything you might ever need, less is more.

Annually I have to go through the boat and remove all that stuff I thought would be good to have on board the previous year but actually it just gets in the way and never gets used.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:24   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

IMO, it's prudent to keep a line as long as the longest in the running rigging.

Last summer, I was glad to have kept an old headsail halyard when the spinnaker halyard almost chafed through.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:33   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I just replaced all the halyards on a new to me boat (just bought it last june). I kept all the lines that didn't have obvious flaws. Now I know the age and history of my existing running rig and as Hydra said I have backup to use in a pinch if something should happen (or for other non-critical daily operations where I need a long line).

I did toss the old dock lines when I replaced them last year, as they felt they were hand-me-downs from the titanic with the flexibility of a 2x4.
Old 30-03-2017, 13:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Like many things bought used, this depends on your need to have faith in the line. For critical lines, I would buy new and keep a few old ones as spares, as noted above. "Critical" is different for each person and condition - what is the risk of a line or hardware failing? For example, I also just bought a used boat and replaced every halyard on her, but kept the sheets and dock lines for another season. They looked pretty good, and the risk of a failing sheet is minimal. I may occasionally go up the mast, and the risk of a failed halyard is death - something to think about.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:21   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Dock lines are definitely too old when they are no longer pliable.

Halyards and sheets when the fray, slip in clutches/ winches, or get stiff.

Do you really have enough dock lines? One set on the dock, one set to take with you for rafting/ day trips?

Halyards, being so long, are soooo useful. I carry several on board, not really as backups but for all-purpose really long needs- towing, half-assed dock lines, spring line to shore, etc. Also great for wrapping the main (even if covered) when you're about to hit a big blow.

Oh, and just to see if OReilly reads everything: I use spare halyards to attach my marker bouy to the anchor when in Canada. They're inevitably too long, so float around quite a bit, so I have to be careful when leaving.

I hang my extra lines on the dinghy rack near my vessel. Along with the multitude of fenders I pick up every year. Somebody needs something, they take it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:38   #7

Well after yesterdays effort of going around and replacing broken dock lines on unattended boats while copping a flogging from ex TC Debbie, don't use crap for dock lines, chuck it all in the bin, better yet chop the rubbish up first so your neighbour doesn't go dumpster diving and using it for his/her dock lines, he/she might appreciate a bit of old worn out line, but I don't when his/her lines give way at 3am during a bad blow and comes crashing into me...

(Apologies, describing a few old pieces of UV stuffed halyard line and a couple of lengths of frayed polly as dock lines is a misnomer)

The owner will certainly hear about it when/if he/she eventually shows up, and I expect replacement for my spare dock lines AND I expect them to do something about my chewed up cap rail (although not holding out much hope for either)

Deep breaths, deep breaths............

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:47   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I throw my old ones on a boat that is using worse lines than I am getting rid of. I don't want to hand them to someone because if they fail in use I could be blamed. Best to do it under the cover of darkness.

You still need to ask if they are not good enough for you are they good enough for someone else.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:59   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Whatever you do, don't repurpose your old halyards as dock lines...
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 14:24   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
The lines on my boat seem to be fairly sun faded and old - how old I don't know. I also received a large box of lines when I bought the boat last year. They range from halyards to 2 braid docking lines.

How do I know when it's time to replace halyards? We usually change them out when they are chafed in the middle. Sometimes, we end for end change them so that the chafed spot is no longer in the middle, but if the chafe goes through to the core, they're gone.

How do I know if any of these extra lines are worth keeping?
Visible chafe is something to be concerned about. The actual decision is a little more complicated, for instance, if the lines will be used as genoa sheets, and if they are oversize because of wanting the chafe resistance, you have less rush to change them.

In my opinion, any line that has a hernia, or that is chafed into the core, either needs to go to the trash bins or to re-purposing on the boat. I have taken to measuring our lengths of spare line and labeling them.

I would not worry too much about fading, although washing them in cold water won't hurt them, and may brighten them. Certainly a good soak will get the salt out of them. Air dry them, not in a dryer, the core and outer layers may respond differently to heat.

Any line that is too stiff to work with without wetting it first should be replaced.

Do not use polypropylene line, it sun degrades.

If your dock lines are nylon double braid, that is excellent, they should be well sized, your boat displaces a lot for a boat of its length. If it has gone stiff (some Korean nylon three-strand does), ditch it and replace.

If you have to prepare for major storms, it is a good idea to double the dock lines, use two, everywhere you normally have one. You can use old jib or genoa sheets for the backup line, but nylon is better for dock lines than polyester double braid.

If you have the instructions for an end to end splice printed out and kept on board and an appropriate sized fid, if you have a halyard failure, you might be able to do an end to end splice in it, and re-reave the halyard and get yourself home. Or carry that one long line mentioned above.

Ann
Old 30-03-2017, 14:24   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

keep em. they make great dinghy painters, kayak lines, lashings for over the top of tarps in cane zones... you can make fenders out of em--that is in ashleys book of knots--- always keep old lines old chain and old sails.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 14:47   #12

Boat: Bayliner 3870

I agree, keep them. . .as long as they aren't garbage. My old halyards have become new fender lines, lashings, and ties downs in my pick-up truck. I do toss any old line that is starting to get "dusty".
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 14:54   #13

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I replaced my halyards last year. I took the old ones home and washed them in the washing machine. (in a mesh bag) They came out so nice I wouldn't have replaced them if I knew they were going to look that good. I ended up giving them away.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 15:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
keep em. they make great dinghy painters, kayak lines, lashings for over the top of tarps in cane zones... you can make fenders out of em--that is in ashleys book of knots--- always keep old lines old chain and old sails.
I have a few 1000' of old line handy in case I need a quickie drogue or pirates are attacking.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:34   #15

Learn some marlinspike seamanship and use them to make some real "salty" fenders for your boat.