Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2015, 09:53   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Oil in the head?

The Sea Era kit will use most of the marine toilet bowls out there including the Jabsco manual toilet's bowl. If the bowl has an inlet at the back of the bowl and four mounting holes in the base, it will probably work. Groco EB or K toilet bowls won't work.

You do not need to buy the Jabsco conversion kit.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:17   #17

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

The head on PILAR is a Wilcox Crittenden Skipper II so I may be mixing apples and oranges with my suggestion, but after each use (and no shortcuts with amount of flushing) a single squirt of liquid dishwashing soap to the last couple of pumps not only keeps the leathers lubricated but eliminates orders.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:34   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Oil in the head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post
DON'T USE PETROLEUM BASED GREASE LIKE VASELINE , IT MAKES THE RUBBER GROW , SAME WITH WASHING RUBBER COMPONMENTS IN PETROL .

Thanks for clarifying. I'll pick up some super lube to try.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:47   #19

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Even for $600. What's $600 compared to the cost of your boat? Pocket change.
Perhaps if you own an Oyster 53....that is true...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:13   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

We removed two electric heads and replaced them with new hand pump Jabsco's. We felt like we had to hold the button a long time to get the waste to go down, at the cost of a LOT of water filling up our smallish holding tanks. The pumps made an awful noise and used a lot of power. The manual head is dead-simple to fix. Parts are readily available and cheap enough to keep spares in stock. We didn't want guests to think it's the same as a "home" toilet. With a manual head they seem to take the whole process more seriously, and may actually follow our recommendations as to what not to put down it.

I'm not advocating this for anyone else, just offering an opposing viewpoint.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:53   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Gaffermate, you are kind of mixing apples and oranges. The leather cups in a Skipper will absorb lubricant. Wilcox used to sell a lubricant to flush through the toilet that would help lubricate and soften the leather. Modern toilets have rubber parts that won't absorb lubricant. Light oils won't work for long on modern toilets. You need a grease that won't hurt rubber. Dish soap is a new one to me. I don't think it would hurt. Might be worth a try if you're willing to put a little in with each flush.
Old 02-08-2015, 13:46   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The proper lube for this head is a synthetic PTFE grease like SuperLube. Just pull out the plunger, smear a bit around the inside of the cylinder and around the plunger o-ring seal and you will be good for several months.

SuperLube is what the manufacturer sells the pump loaded with.

Cooking oil is pretty much worthless, regardless of its popularity meme.

Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Tube: Science Lab Cleaning Supplies: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Mark
What he said. 6 screws, 1-2x per year. Use a BIG glob of Super Lube grease.

Do not use cheap veggy oil; corn and palm oil both damage the neoprene parts (I did side-by-side tests). Olive oil and canola oil are OK, but don't last.

Can't imagine what bleach is for; it is bad for all of the parts, including the hoses (permeation), and the manual says "no."

I've found that a spray bottle with Camco TPT Orange or something similar does a good job of eating the crap off the bowl (no scrubbing--the bugs do the work) and eliminating raw water odors. And it is FREE, since you probably use something similar in the tank.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...hing-lazy.html

Just read the manual, guys.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 14:38   #23

+1 for verge oil - two years two people full time on board with no issues or maintenance needed on a Jabsco, just a little veg oil every now and then but I too will now try superlube...

One serious caution on all this talk of electric conversion; our friends had a small fire last month on their Lagoon 400 and had to wait over a week whilst the Lagoon dealers sorted the repairs, new batteries and so on - all meaning a week of no flushing heads - they bought two very nice new buckets though ...
Old 02-08-2015, 15:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
6 screws
With the OP's Jabsco, it isn't even this complicated. There is a big screw cap on top that holds the plunger - unscrew it and the plunger comes right out of the cylinder. Wipe a glob of SuperLube around the cylinder and plunger O-ring, screw the cap back on and it's done.

It takes me 30 seconds twice a year on each of ours. It takes me longer to find the can of SuperLube.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 16:58   #25
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Ours is a Raritan which is a bit of a mess to break down. Drilling a hole took longer to think about than to do. Relube requires only backing the screw out and replacing it when done. And of course does not require breaking down the pump.
that is pretty cool idea. how come raritan did not think of that? sure beats taking the whole thing apart.
Old 02-08-2015, 17:06   #26

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Lot's of good advice.

I'm on my second Jabasco. The first was in the boat when I purchased it and it was too small for my big back side. But when I pulled it out it was almost ready to fall apart anyway so I'm glad I upgraded it. The only problem I have with it is that it's damn noisy.

I only use my boat a doz times a year, and at the conclusion of using it I put about a tablespoon of veg oil in the bowl and flush it. It seems to be working well after two half years to keep it soft and supple.

I do use white vinegar to clean the bowl when I first get to the boat after it's been not used for a few weeks. Because it's a salt water head, when all the sea life dies, it can stain. The vinegar cleans it well. Then I again put in some veg oil and I'm right to go.

And as my holding tank is rarely used, I really don't care if it kills any nasties living in it. The freeloaders shouldn't be hitching a ride anyway.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:28   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I take a small piece if TP, slather it with grease, and pump the handle till the paper goes up inside the cylinder. Leave the handle in the up position for a while so the paper and grease bounce around inside the cylinder and the contact leaves grease on the walls.

Tags
head, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: