Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 15:23   #1

Oil Canning prevention, afixed on keel-stepped Mast

I am pretty close to closing on a cooper 35 which has retrofitted some "pull down" fixtures that are afixed to the interior mast and secured to the deck above. This, I was told was to counter the oil canning due to non- offset bulkheads situation.
What should I be looking for during the test sail - Daylight around the mast from in the cabin...

there is what I would call a goodly amount of crazing on the decks nearby but not on the cabin roof - and the deck and cabin are supposedly of foam core. Things feel solid, too, on the deck except where one boards the vessel. The crazing was suggested as due to too heavy of a gel coat and with my limited experience of seeing finer spidering in glass on othe boats and this wider spaced though heavy crazing, I might tend to agree. Thoughts?

John
Skydiver1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:39   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Oil Canning prevention, afixed on keel-stepped Mast

I don't know the boat, John, biut would suggest that if the DECK is what was oil-canning, there's some serious delamination or decay in it. Maybe the kludge job works, but who wants to gamble?

Unless you're turning it into a hot dog stand.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 17:12   #3

Boat: Sceptre 36

Hire a good surveyor or run as fast as you can.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:44   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I've seen this reinforcement recommended in books. As the shrouds load up it pulls the sides of the hull together and the deck bows up. People have added a turnbuckle that ties the mast under the deck to the deck.

You should see what they do to ULDBs like the Soverel 33.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Al tubes glassed into the hull at head level across the cabin at the mast and bow to keep the boat from changing shape:
Heavy Air Tourniquet

As others have said you need someone who knows what they're looking at to determine if the reinforcement was added after the deck suffered structural damage or not.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:58   #5

Thanks for the info - if you have more for me I could use it.
Skydiver1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast