Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:10   #1

Oh No! Not a Project Boat!

I guess this fits here if not please feel free to move it.

This boat is 200 miles away and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know or look for when I go look at this boat. If I decide it might be workable I'll have it surveyed. All comments welcome.

It's a 1974 CT 41 with wooden spars and the price don't look bad....... YET!

It has been in storage for 21 years and needs a lot of ebow grease. It's a drug boat that was completely disassembled by the previous owner in an attempt to create hidding places. (Before they went to jail).

Current owner says he has everything to put it back together.

Water and fuel tanks are out and been cleaned.

My red flags are:
If he's had it for 21 years why hasn't he put it back together by now? Along with the engine and sails whch I go into more details below.

It's been inside in a non metal warehouse for 21 years now. I'm thinking that means low rust, but then it is 21 years old. From the pictures the engine looks good but a few rattle cans will do that.

I know all the electronics, (if they work at all), are out dated and will need to be replaced. VHF, Radar, Wind speed/direction, and depth. The engine instuments are missing.

I figure all the lines need replaced, rigging, fuel, water, ect. along with the thru-halls.

He says the sails were only one year old when they were boxed up 21 years ago. I would guess that not being out in the sun they might be good or at least need to be resitched. He says there's no mold on them. I need more thoughts here as I have no idea on this.

But my big question is on the Perkins 4-108 that hasn't been ran in 21 yrs. In that amount of time wouldn't the engine be seised up? Water pump impeller dried out and needing replaced. Alternator and starter, rested bearings?

If this engine is a moring anchor I don't want to touch it.

I'm looking forward to see some thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Bill
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If this is the CT41 owned by Jim Peters of Columbus, Ohio; I believe it’s grossly overpriced at $40k.
I also believe that it would cost more to refit, than it’s eventual market value; so wouldn’t be much of a deal at “free”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 13:45   #3

I learned a few things today.

According to the current owner, (Where is that grain of salt), the sails were purchased brand new one year before he bought the boat 21 years ago. All jokes aside, I should note that I have no reason to doubt his honesty.

I just spoke to a sail loft and was told dacron sails have no problem lasting 20 years. The thread is the first thing to look at and inspect for worn spots on the sails.

I just had a diesel mech. tell me storing an engine is all about changing the oil and making sure all the diesel was drained out of the injectors. I'm sure I'd have to have a mech. look at if the boat passed my first inspection.

Ok got you on checking the spars. Will do. I knew to look for rot, but glue going bad in the spar. Will that be obvious or hard to see?
Old 09-06-2009, 16:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
How I would do a project boat differently...

Umteen hours into the fitting out of Boracay there are a few things that I would do differently if starting over.

1) I'd line up my work space, preferably on the hard, close to home with scaffolding all round.
2) I'd go smaller. 36' should be enough for two people. 44' is hard to handle without lots of experience in other than good conditions.
3) I'd look for a fibreglass boat with good interior woodwork. This is where the time really gets chewed up.
4) I'd look for good stainless steel work. Davits, dodger, bimini, pulpit etc.

Other points:-
1) Electrical work and a new engine installation may look daunting, but in a smaller boat they may not be expensive or time consuming.
2) Have you thought about how a wooden mast is going to stand up in a 50kt gust? Boracay came with a good aluminium mast and I'm glad she did.
3) I got a survey (essential), but I should have done way more homework on the time and cost involved before buying.
4) A more expensive boat would have saved me time and possibly money.
5) Is this really the best project boat you can find. Sounds like like thousands of boat bucks ready to burn.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 17:31   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Current owner says he has everything to put it back together.
This needs serious look see so bring an expert. Even things that look sort of OK could cost you huge money. When it comes to wood it's the fresh water that kills the boat not the salt water. In general i would say if you have to ask the answer is always no. 1974 is old enough for every boat. You really need to know this stuff or even if it is fine today you'll lose the edge and become sucked in.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 17:47   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
on boat stands?

If that boat has been sitting on stands for 21 years, I'd be more than a bit concerned about the hull. The flex right now is different than it will be when the boat sits on its lines in water. It's easy to imagine a scenario where it delaminates fairly quickly after launch. The problem here is that nobody knows what will happen, because there aren't a whole lot of fiberglass hulls that have sat around out of the water for the past two decades.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:59   #7

I did go look at her. Very scary, not to mention overwelming. Items that didn't belong to the boat was piled up around it to where the trailer was buried and difficult to get a good look at the hull. Boat parts were spread out between two different rooms. It needs a lot of work that wasn't mentioned. Breaker panel had been removed along with most of the wiring, forwarded and aft cabin bulkheads need replaced from the deck up, chain locker bulkhead bad, salon sole, galley sole both bad, missing name & location plates off the stern and bow, and half the galley ripped out. I could go on and on.

The good points: The bimini, dodger, and hatch covers all looked great. The sails looked great, 2 jibs, a spenaker, main, and mizzen. He has purchased a new compass and manual head. He removed all the ports and polished them

As someone else said, unless this boat is practically free I don't think it would be worth it. That said, it was a real learning experiance.

Here is a link to the pics I took: 74 CT 41 pictures by Daddys_Dream - Photobucket

I even took the time to work up a spread sheet to get an idea on what this was going to cost to bring up to standard. About 35 to 45k depending on how comfortable one wants to live. Like I said it was educational and well worth my time.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:38   #8

Daddy's Dream there is a 41 Seawolf ketch for sale up here in Newburyport Ma. it has been out of the water for 2 yrs. the owner got sick with cancer and died and the family is trying to sell i. the boat was struck by lightning and some of the electronics got smoked. it was not a major hit. he had a surveyor come to inspect the boat. the boat really only needs a good cleaning up. it was used yearly for about 20 yrs to go down Fl. and back up in the summers. I've been on the boat and it looked to be in fairly good condition as he fixed/had fixed things needing attention. can't say much more about it. just type in Seawolf 41 for sale Newburyport ma. to see it. current price is 49 K
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 08:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Run, Forest, Run!!!!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:34   #10

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Did you see buzzards circling above the shed?
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You are talking about a massive amount of time and energy before you will ever have this boat sailing....not to mention the money which is always more than you anticipate.

Is this really how you want to spend the next couple of years of your life? ...as a slave to your boat?

I would look for another boat that is in sailable condition or very close to it.

Its so easy to forget how valuable your personal time is when considering a project boat. Sure, its going to be fun at first, but when you get months into it, its going to become a real drag. I like doing fun things with my personal time....like being out on boats and not in a boatyard.

I would reconsider.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:38   #12

Gentlemen,
You guys are always very helpful and that's why I post here. But I should point out.
1. I'm disabled and have plenty of time to work on a project. While I have to be careful and can't do more than 20 hrs / week in light labour. I would be able to get it done in time.
2. While this boat was a passing thought, I don't think the owner is going to be able to give me a price that would get me to bring this boat home. It just needs way too much.
3. With my daughter leaving home I need a project to work on and pass my time. Going to see this boat was one of those things to pass my time and as I already said it was very educational. I couldn't see how much time and money this one was going to take until I actually looked at her.
4. At this point in my life the only way I'm going to get into a boat is to find a project boat for under 10k. I had 20k, but the custody fight is still running full blast.
5. The fact that this boat is setting on a trailer had a certain appeal, I have a place where I can work on the boat for free as long as it is on a trailer. I won't have that if I buy a boat that isn't on a trailer.

All that said, I guess I'm still airing it out so to speak.

Someone else said this would be a 10 year project. I just can't see it taking that long. I can see it taking 1 to 1 1/2 yrs to get this one back in the water.

Maybe I am dreaming, but it's a dream I really want and I don't think I'm going to be able to find one in much better shape with what I have to work with.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I also believe that it would cost more to refit, than it’s eventual market value; so wouldn’t be much of a deal at “free”.
Isn't this the norm? Can anyone here say they haven't got more in their boat than they'll be able to get out of her?

I think the question should be, How much more is reasonable to put into a boat over what one will be able to get out of it?
Old 14-07-2009, 11:04   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
Isn't this the norm? Can anyone here say they haven't got more in their boat than they'll be able to get out of her?

I think the question should be, How much more is reasonable to put into a boat over what one will be able to get out of it?
Good points..........and as you say, this boat was a very useful learning excercise. from a brief look at your pics I would think 18 months optimistic - but no direct experiance (and I pray god never to have that ).

IMO the answer you seek relates to how much you have got (now and future) - and how much you want to put in expecting not to recoup..........and with what purpose.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 11:51   #15

DOJ,
I eventually want to sail the seas. The Carib, South America, and purhaps the South Pacific Islands.

I don't need a lot to be comfortable. But I do place a high value on electronics and charging, (depth, wind speed, radar, GPS, auto pilot, vhf, wind gen, and solar pannels). Which to me are consumables as they become outdated or just break down. The next major consumable expense would be the rigging. Which I could do within two years once it's back in the water.

At worst the engine would or could be the biggest nightmare. I wouldn't touch it with anything if the engine won't run.