Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 09:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
'Oh Joy' Restoration - More Goodies

After pulling apart the companionway hatch and trunk assembly, I decided to strip the paint off the trunk and hatch to check out the wood. This is what I found:

Isn't this Honduran gorgeous?

I think I'll leave it bright. Just too damned pretty to hide.

I got the first coat of CPES on the Port cabin side and finished the forward port cutout repair, except for a bit of smoothing.

I'm filling the checking with MAS and wood flour, after a good CPES bath to slow down further deterioration.

I'll be sealing the deck and doing more epoxy work (small details) today.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 10:49   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
OH the JOY of wood. You'll be a shipwright before it's over, and that's all GOOD!......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 11:16   #3

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Hey, that looks good!! if you can keep it shined that would look really cool.
Old 18-06-2009, 17:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
The hatch trunk looked like liquid fire today when I put the CPES on it to seal it. I can hardly wait to get varnish on it.
Old 21-06-2009, 07:02   #5

How exciting!! She's gorgeous already! And, that honduran is just beautiful. I exclaimed loudly enough that my husband had to ask what I was looking at! LOL. I have always loved solid wood and the smells of sawdust and varnish. My parents both worked at a lumber mill when I was a kid and I loved it!

Is OH JOY in the water or out? I know you probably answered that somewhere else.
BrightWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 09:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She's on the hard since August. With any luck, she'll be ready for some Winter sailing around here (when the wind blows) with a new diesel heater and no leaks.
Old 21-06-2009, 18:42   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'
She is a beauty! What kind of finish are you using on your wood?
Old 21-06-2009, 20:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm sealing with Smith & Co CPES. I haven't decided if I'm going with straight varnish over that or a couple of coats of epoxy first and then varnish. Studies show that varnish over epoxy lasts longer than either product as a standalone. That and the fact that epoxy allows me to sand down the varnish without nicking the wood for repairs is tempting. If I ever want to strip it all, epoxy comes off just like varnish under a heat gun so I might do the epoxy base / varnish topcoats method.
Old 21-06-2009, 22:10   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hey CharlieCobra
I smith'd some solid teak companionway doors before selling one of my boats. The new owner promptly abandoned her in her slip, never took her out, never cleaned her. I lived on the same dock and walked by her everyday. The door held up so amazing, I'd take people over YEARS later to show how the doors are holding up-amazing. This is in Texas where you usually have to varnish every6-8 months to stay ahead of breakdown. I'd say it took 4 years to breakdown so translate that from sailor addition to real time and you got three years
I don't know if it was a fluke but this is what I did:
I coated with smiths untill the wood was fully saturated this took I think 4 coats, then I put 5 coats of Petit Ultra Gold varnish over the smiths. That Ultra Gold is a purple varnish and has high UV protectants, the color is rich and really brings out the ribbons in the wood.
Hope this helps,
Erika

I have been out of the woodworking game for a while, did you say you can heat gun epoxy?
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 22:17   #10

Thanks for the info. ! One of my projects is cleaning up and refinishing the bright work on Rose and I have been casting about for the best protection I can find.
Old 21-06-2009, 22:37   #11

I swear by petit ultra gold, its worth the pain in the butt it takes to find it. If you start from bare teak be ready for it to look a little "different" then other varnishes but persevere and by 6-7 coats it will be rich and gorgeous. If your looking for a blonde teak then Ultra Gold is not for you. I was a varnish lady in my youth they called me 'Queen Varnesha'. I don't think they named me that as much for my great talent but for the way I dictated to my customers what they could and could not do to their wood while I was their varnish lady. I was rabid about teak deck care too! If I found a deck scrub brush on my teak decks -the fur would fly, but I had the prettiest teak decks and turned down more work than I could take-It was good to be queen
Old 21-06-2009, 22:57   #12

All Hail Queen Vanesha!:-) Sounds like you are exacting about your bright work. Kewl! There is nothing better than nice well done bright work. I will take your advice and follow instructions. Have you ever worked with Deks Ole' ?
Old 22-06-2009, 04:30   #13

No, never used deks ole, are you going to use it on your teak decks? Why? Not a big fan of putting anything on your teak decks but what God intended, sunshine and saltwater this might be a new post
Erika
Old 22-06-2009, 08:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah Darlin', a heat gun works on epoxy too, not so much any of Smith's that has penetrated the wood, just the excess on top. My teak, what little I have, is silver and bare from saltwater scrubs. Inside however, is oiled nicely but with 6" teak sole planks, why would anyone do anything else? One of the PO's used what looks like Cetol inside on the house walls, that is coming off and will be oiled as well.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:00   #15

CharieCobra,
Your a man that knows how to take care of his teak! Off with the cetol and your boat will breathe a deep sigh of relief ahhh.
good job,
Erika

Thanks for the epoxy tip, I though the wood would heat up too much, learn something new everyday.

Tags
restoration