Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 13:52   #316

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I don't think it has anything to do with a perfectly outfitted boat. That's just a red herring.

For most folks, life intervenes when you hit your mid 20's. You have a career, children, other obligations, a circle of friends, some of whom do not sail, and other non-sailing interests (in my case, skiing and hiking). When you hit your 40's and 50's You have kids in college and aging parents who need you. I thought about just going in my early 20's and I'm glad I didn't. I would have missed too many other life experiences.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:13   #317
Armchair Bucketeer

Life is full of choices. Those you made and those you didn't. Those you regret and those you don't.

IME age just adds to your capacity to make yer bad choices way more complicated.

One of the things that keeps me going is that I fully expect when hitting 60+ to be (still?!) making some real humdingers of bad choices involving good beer and bad women. I certainly hope so
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:54   #318

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Why would anyone in there RIGHT MIND choose to sail alone or even in company across oceans when they can sail in protected or coastal waters and anchor or tie up for the night? I have been in both places and the choice is easy for me. I am no coward and if I had to or had a good reason I could do it,but why? What does an intelligent self assured person have to prove by subjecting themselves to discomfort, danger and loneliness? I realize this is like trying to explain the benefits of vegetarian diet to a den of lions, but I feel some one should point out this obvious truth. Ed.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 15:17   #319
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
An excellent article by Evans Starzinger...

There is an excellent article on this topic "Emergency Steering Solutions by Evans Starzinger" available online.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 19:41   #320
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post

And Ronnie? you're younger than some of my kids. I respect your accomplishments to date, and you're in the area I served in when I was in the mil. Keep your wallet in your front pocket or attached to your belt, and don't drink after sundown. Being ashore and alone there is worse than being at sea, so find people you can truly trust.
Are you sure that shouldn't be, "Don't drink after sunrise"? -

Finding the right people is good advice and oh, so hard to do.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:15   #321

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
Good luck, keep your chin up and I hope to see greater things for you. Youre doing something that many of us wished we had taken the chance to do before we got so damn smart.
"Wishing" and "taking the chance" are mutually exclusive. You can dream of doing certain things because you are unable to pursue that dream at that time, or you can take the chance on a venture because you have the means to do so.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24   #322
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Wink Ronnie Can you Hear Me?

Ronnie, I have also given you a hard time and I wish to apologize.

Please have a laugh at my expense….
(With apologies to the Who…… just substitute your name)

All the best!

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Ah, the cycle is complete once again.

We start out with recriminations, move on to sound advice (which is frequently then mistaken for recrimination) and then we begin blubbering that we were too harsh all along.

Encouraging the dream is almost always a good thing, as long as it is accompanied by some common sense. Let's not forget that there's been a lot of common sense seamanship that HAS been dispensed here over the years ... and that many have benefitted from following it. Some have come to ruin for ignoring it.

In short, none of us need apologize for inserting a dose of reality into ill-laid plans. If it were a lot of other endeavors, it wouldn't make so much difference, but offshore ill-laid plans can and often will lead to the end of the dreamer.

My two cents, as they say.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53   #324
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Why would anyone in there RIGHT MIND choose to sail alone or even in company across oceans when they can sail in protected or coastal waters and anchor or tie up for the night? I have been in both places and the choice is easy for me. I am no coward and if I had to or had a good reason I could do it,but why? What does an intelligent self assured person have to prove by subjecting themselves to discomfort, danger and loneliness? I realize this is like trying to explain the benefits of vegetarian diet to a den of lions, but I feel some one should point out this obvious truth. Ed.
There are as many reasons as there are single-handed sailors. I went, because my wife broke our agreement. My plan was to go before I met her. When she changed her mind I left anyway.

Now it is for the satisfaction. There are no disagreement with the crew going in this fashion also.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:58   #325
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
eyschulman[/B]] ...Why would anyone in there RIGHT MIND choose to sail alone or even in company across oceans when they can sail in protected or coastal waters and anchor or tie up for the night?...
Although it may be hugely salubrious, there’s no “glory” in gunkholeing your way through life.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47   #326

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Originally Posted by eyschulman

I was dropped on my head when I was a baby
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 13:40   #327

eyschulman:

I think the thrust of your questions is: why cross oceans? For the same reason we go boating at all, rather than staying comfortably at home. Some wish for different degrees or types of challenges, but the couch potato understands none of us who would exchange comfort, security, and entertainment for any passing experience of adventure or natural beauty.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 14:23   #328
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
BA,

As I said we all go for different reasons.......good one!

Amgine,

As I sailed under the Golden Gate alone sailing for Mexico. I had second thoughts, and fears going out the gate. As I looked back over my shoulder my biggest fear was never leaving! All of us have different comfort levels, and thank goodness, or all the anchorages would be full....hahahahahaha
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 14:44   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Although it may be hugely salubrious, there’s no “glory” in gunkholeing your way through life.

Says you!!!

Glory seeking?? Now I understand!!! I never thought of that!!!!!!!

Is that why all these sailors sail away to constantly seek wifi sites so they can broadcast back their experinece?? seeking some kind of glory??

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"....

You gave me my weekly laugh...thanks

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 19:09   #330

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Says you!!!

Glory seeking?? Now I understand!!! I never thought of that!!!!!!!

Is that why all these sailors sail away to constantly seek wifi sites so they can broadcast back their experinece?? seeking some kind of glory??

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"....

You gave me my weekly laugh...thanks
I don't want to hassle with learning and keeping up a site but if there is money in it maybe it would be worth it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote