Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 11:21   #1

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
Nu Finish on an Oxidized Fiberglass Hull?

Having previously gone through the work of applying carnauba wax with mixed results, we've pretty much given up on waxing the hull of our boat. But last night while watching TV and recovering from a weekend of bootstripe and bottom painting, we saw an add for Nu Finish Car Polish. Just pour it on and wipe it off and voila - a shiny new finish. This stuff might just be easy enough to give it a try.

So doing a little research today I came across the manufacturer's FAQ's, which advise using an oxidation remover first on old paint that might be oxidized. Our gelcoat is definitely oxidized. If I have to use a cutting compound and buffer to remove the oxidization, that sort of negates the whole ease of use.

Is there another way to remove oxidization?

Any experience with this product?
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Nu Finish on an oxidized fiberglass hull?

no free lunch!! try washing with a degreaser/ detergent/ engine cleaner then a mild phospheric acid solution,then polish with silicon polish
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 12:06   #3

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar
Re: Nu Finish on an oxidized fiberglass hull?

Wetsand and then buff
Old 23-05-2011, 14:38   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nu Finish on an Oxidized Fiberglass Hull?

Wetsand and buff x2. I've brought back some severely oxidized hulls this way. We've tried all the "magic solution" solvents and polishes at our yard and none of them deliver like sanding. Heres the trick to doing it fast and easy. If you use a DA (random orbit sander) you will find you can get very fine disks for it. I usually go straight to 800 grit disks, but if the oxidization is really bad start with 600 and finish with 800. If I'm doing a hull I usually guide coat first, it helps you acheive a really uniform finish with no holidays. Make sure you use a proper guide coat or you'll have problems with gumming. After you've acheived an 800 grit profile go to 3m perfect it and buff the whole hull several times. It'll look better than new! This job should take two people about two days to complete on an average sized sailboat. One day for sanding and one for polishing. I mean in the yard with some decent scaffolding of course, in the water would take much longer. Here's a source for 800 grit DA disks. Fisheries Supply
You can go up to 1500 disks but I find 800 buffs out great on gelcoat. Many people buff at 600 but you'll still see scratches if you do. If you go to 600 re-guide coat between grits. Good luck and have fun!!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 15:46   #5

Boat: Lido 14
Re: Nu Finish on an Oxidized Fiberglass Hull?

look up 3M imperial compound on youtube. the stuff is amazing. Just apply to boat/buffing pad evenly, go to town for a minute or so on the working section, take a microfiber cloth and clean off that area.

I just used it on my 1960 lido 14 and it worked great!
Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, surface finish