Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 14:32   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Same as always down here in southern New England, using Pettit Hydrocoat on the hull and Vivid on the skeg. Zero hard growth and slime needed wiping once a month starting in July.

You must have had a bad batch of bottom paint. Which one did you use?

I used West Marine CCI-Plus (something like that). I put almost 2 gals on the boat and multi coats up along the waterline (so I could brush it during the season). My waterline seemed to stay a little cleaner this year as I moved the anti-foul up higher so the waves while at mooring would still be "kind of" on the anti-foul.

I still have a real good paint layer on the boat. Except for the front edge of the rudder that worn all away (I think I put at least 3 coats on that).

So the decision is whether the weather or the paint is to blame. Guess either way it's time to try a different anti-foul.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 14:36   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Don:

I August my boat had been on the mooring here on Long Island for a few weeks while I did other stuff. When I got back I went down to check the prop. Yikes! Got some pictures here: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: JUST SCRAPPING BY
The waters were warmer this year . It seems some of the marine critters enjoyed it as much as I did.

Hell, after looking at that I have to say my "problem hull" is clean enough to eat off of. I feel a little better for me now, but sorry for you.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 14:39   #18

Boat: CS 36t
My boat is moored in Gloucester not too far away and I had no growth other than a thin slime layer on my hull. I used Interlux ACT this year and very little paint is left although the current gets up to about 2 knots at my mooring which can't help. The prop and speedo fouled really badly despite being painted with a prop paint (I can't remember which one off the top of my head). I waited 3 months to clean the prop the first time and then did it twice more in the remaining 2 months and hauled with a lot of barnicles.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Hell, after looking at that I have to say my "problem hull" is clean enough to eat off of. I feel a little better for me now, but sorry for you.
I'm just glad I went down and checked the prop before I started to cruise. I don't use anything on the prop and shaft but, do dive and clean the hull a couple of times a season. Though this growth seemed worse than I ever remember.