Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 10:32   #1

Non skid topside help

I've got a day charter operation, and my boats get abused like a (insert inappropriate joke here). All of the topside traction has worn down to be smooth as glass. Although I highly enjoy seeing drunk tourists bust their asses, the thought of a lawsuit has overcome my joy. Any recommendations on a non-skid surface paint? I did some searches on here but wasn't able to find much. I found a few poking around online, they were water based, which seems like it'd have a short life.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, standing by.
HarpAggie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 10:49   #2

Re: Non skid topside help

Kiwi Grip is popular and easy. It's a bit of a rubbery feel, so is "non skid" in that manner. The texture is minimal help. It's a bit like Latex paint to install.
Others can comment on it's durability.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:06   #3

Non skid topside help

If you want them to add nonskid to their annual religious observances you can go with TreadMaster. It'll be there 30 years later but their epidermal layer might not be. Better is to go with Cheechako's advice.

Yup we lost him overboard but you can still clearly see where his feet were when the wave hit.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 14:14   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpAggie2001 View Post
I've got a day charter operation, and my boats get abused like a (insert inappropriate joke here). All of the topside traction has worn down to be smooth as glass. Although I highly enjoy seeing drunk tourists bust their asses, the thought of a lawsuit has overcome my joy. Any recommendations on a non-skid surface paint? I did some searches on here but wasn't able to find much. I found a few poking around online, they were water based, which seems like it'd have a short life.

Do a Google search for non-slip coatings for swimming pools and gymnasiums.

It is that sort of stuff we have on our decks, it is the most aggressive anti-skid I have ever used.

Ann
Old 25-09-2017, 15:35   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpAggie2001 View Post
...... Any recommendations on a non-skid surface paint? I did some searches on here but wasn't able to find much. I found a few poking around online, they were water based, which seems like it'd have a short life.

Water based is good - very good if you get the right one. Tredgrip is one but may not be available in your area.

Many swimming pools, commercial external walkways etc use water based non-skid paints.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 16:20   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Or buy a container or two of Skid-Tex and add it to your paint of choice. I did my decks that way a decade ago and it's still grippy.

Skid-Tex is really just a fine white silica sand. You could probably use anything similar.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 16:51   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are a couple of dozen types of treadmaster, other brands of synthetic nonskid in sheets, cork pads, LPU with silica sand, LPU & polymer beads, glue down faux teak in panels, boards, or sheets. Premixed nonskid paint for industrial uses, typically epoxy based.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 16:56   #8

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Interlux intergrip is similar, but it's fine plastic beads. It stays in suspension while painting and won't discolor like some silica sand products can
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 17:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

My favorite, and the one all the headboats I've worked on uses, is Awlgrip with Griptex additive. There's various grits, and the deck will last for five years or so of heavy traffic between applications.
Old 25-09-2017, 18:01   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Day charter boats get a lot of abuse. Most day charter guys that I know are redoing Their nonskid constantly. For you it depends on "the look" you want and how much you want to spend. Kiwi grip is expensive! You can buy a two component deck coating at home depot for cheap. You get "the look" with 2 component polyurethanes and polymer beads like griptex. Photos of your boat would be nice. You have a charter operation, let's see your website. As long as you do a nice masking job with radiused corners and fair lines, then whatever you decide to use will look great, at least for awhile...
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 18:25   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Its an Athena 38 catamaran. I wouldn't use deck coating from home depot on it. It would look good in Awlgrip and griptex, or kiwigrip. Are you going to do it yourself? If you are just trying to buy some time you can put sharkgrip or sand in some housepaint and it will be way better than what you have. Just pick a nice shade of white.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:28   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

if you enjoy seeing paying customers "bust their arses" you might also be the type who enjoys seeing your customer's feet bleeding when barefoot. If that is your preference use crushed walnut shells and mix in with latex paint. It is incredibly effective at shredding bare feet. Smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:55   #13

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I know a few commercial boats that use Durabak and like it. Not pretty but seems to work.
Old 26-09-2017, 10:20   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark had 35 year old Treadmaster that was so ugly I couldn't even determine the original color. I painted it with the outrageously expensive TreadMaster paint and then the next spring I powerwashed it away!!!

I switched to International's InterDeck and although I had to mix my own color to get an ivory color, it has lasted.

The final death was that the epoxy used to bond it to the old deck was failing, so I have chosen Tek-Dek® in the faded teak look and that is the trick. Cleans with a pressure washer, looks like faded teak and feels like wood. Not cheap, but if you can make your own templates and install it yourself, it is quite reasonable and really makes the boat look great.

I could send photos to anyone interested.

George DuBose
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 10:52   #15

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

We did a lot of research.
We put Skid-No-More from West Marine onto our new deck about 2 years ago. It's easy enough to paint on and seems to be holding up.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote