Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 14:04   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Non-skid additive

I'm replacing the teak handrails on the Herreshoff Eagle I'm restoring. These are probably original rails which might explain why the loops aren't the same distance apart, so now I've got holes in the deck and new holes for the new rails. I've patched the holes and need to get the spots where the rail bases were looking as much like the rest of the deck as possible. These are REALLY COARSE. I've owned numerous boats and haven't had anything close to this. It looks like Awlgrip's product might be the most coarse, but a qt. is $50, and I don't need very much at all. If I have to spend that to make it look as close as possible I will, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to a landscape shop or somewhere to get a small bag of the most coarse sand I can find. Any thoughts? I could surely do that initially and see how it looks. If it doesn't look great I can sand it up and go another route.

Any thoughts of experience with a similar challenge?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:18   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Non-skid additive

I suggest some testing on scrap wood. Try different combinations of paint and sand. On my bowsprit platform, I used some very fine beach sand, carefully screened, washed and dried. I poured a heavy layer of it on fresh epoxy, let it cure, and then brushed off the loose sand, and varnished. It works well, but next time I think I'll just sprinkle the sand from a salt shaker so I don't get such a dense coat. I'll do some more experiments before doing the large areas I need to do - cabin top and side decks.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:30   #3

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.
Re: Non-skid additive

The suggestion of washed sand through a coarse pepper shaker will work......have it on my timber launching ramp ..........shaken onto wet resin.....and then rolled in with a paint roller....

Granulated cork......micro balloons.......and Epsom salts are good too

grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote