Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 11:18   #61

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Nice Galley Details

A true "galley" shaped galley is most efficient. Once you turn it into an L or U some difficult to access space is usually created in the corners. Sometimes access can be provided from outside the galley. However this makes a great spot for a lined trash can. And a self-closing lid keeps the counter top clear.

Rather than a true U, TN's portside galley is formed by a long, in-line, outboard arrangement of top-loading reefer/freezer with cabinets over, gimballed 3-burner stove with oven, and bank of drawers with small microwave over; bins outboard of stove and drawers; water maker membrane in toe-kick space under. Half the reefer/freezer plus a large upper cabinet protrude through the aft bulkhead, into the space under the cockpit. Forward, a partial bulkhead separates the galley from the salon. This portside galley is separated from a starboard nav station/chart table and pilot seat by an island double sink, on the centerline, over the engine. So there are no lost spaces with this arrangement, and engine access is 360*.

A knife rack should be raised ~ 3/4" above the counter to avoid spill problems. Against the event of a knockdown, there must be some positive method of preventing them being flung about.

Install pressure salt water tap and dish soap dispenser at galley sink. This can be incorporated with water maker sampling tap. Remote reading reefer/freezer box internal temp gauge. Safety rail with harness/belt attach points at gimballed stove. Slide-out plastic cutting board.

Although a residential hood is usually out of the question, it is often possible, and highly desirable, to install a dedicated galley exhaust fan.

Position some lighting to best illuminate reefer box, oven interior, ... Make a place for a gimballed oil lamp.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41   #62

I did a couple deliveries on a boat with this holder for storing coffee mugs and glassware, which are not visible in the photo.

A big chunk of mahogany was cut into blocks with a mitered end. The end of some of the blocks was turned down on a lathe to match the interior diameter of the coffee mugs which go on the outside rows, while the inside row of blocks had holes bored to receive the glassware.

The mugs were a very robust old school diner style and the glasses were a fairly small cylindrical wine drinking type. The mugs are inverted and fit over the projecting cylinders while the glasses drop in the holes.

I always thought it was a pretty slick set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bacchant.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	87678   Click image for larger version

Name:	627-d-014-ew.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	87680  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08   #63

A shot of a very shiny looking Morris 52 galley. Looks like a front loading cooler with the beer-cooler door hardware down low, just forward of the stove?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Morris52_0100010-650x435.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	87688  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10   #64

Couple fancy details from the yacht Dorade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-125.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	87690   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-144.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	87691  

Name:	photo-143.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	87692  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Couple companionway step drawers I thought were kinda interesting.
yes! I forgot about these and surprised they haven't been mentioned, excellent use of space for sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 13:02   #66

Quote:
I recall being on someone's boat once who had repurposed some old bar cooler hardware for their cooler hatch, which I thought was pretty slick. Nice because they are designed to compress a gasket and accommodate a heavy door.

Also, seems like there is a trend in new boats to have flush counter tops? Maybe not but I would think it a good idea to have a coaming around the cooler hatch, least you spill something and have it run down in the cooler. Anyone? Cooler fiddles for your dribbles?
fridge hinges and latches are available new.

Old 04-09-2014, 13:07   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I installed a salt water foot pump in the galley before we went cruising. I think we have used it around three times. If you have a watermaker, they really aren't needed. If the water is clean enough to use at the sink, it's good enough for the watermaker.

One thing I wish we had was a vent hood over the stove. Getting smells, heat and humidity out of the boat would be awesome. Unfortunately, it would be hard to install in our galley with the stove installation on the hull side.

Does anyone have a fore/aft facing stove? Hows it been?

Matt
I've seen them. One was actually gimbaled! It was a big diesel burning stove installed on a 50+ footer Joe Trumbley was building. Quite a setup getting the stack to gimbal! WIsh I had a pic.

Old 05-09-2014, 14:19   #68

I've been thinking about designing the interior of my cooler around the use of commercial steam table pans that you can get from restaurant supply places. I figure something like two levels of pans with rails attached along the sides of the cooler that so you can slide the upper level pans to access the lower level.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steam-table-pans.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	87779   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPJH-102-2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	87780  

Name:	Royal perf_steampan.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	87781  
Old 05-09-2014, 14:25   #69

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

How about some TupperWare or Rubbermaid containers whose lids snap in place?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:44   #70

Boat: Bristol 35

Delancy- I like your idea- might steal it when the time comes
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:21   #71

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Our garbage is in a cockpit locker just aft of the galley (Morgan 383), accessable via a drop down door at counter level, aft. The top of can ia open, reaches to door. Works really well, and can be left open for moving things there while cooking, cleaning. Also easy collection and removal underway or at dock via large opening cockpit seat-top. This would require alot of re-design on many boats, but if you have a bulkhead between the galley and a cockpit locker, it might work.
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:07   #72

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I've been thinking about designing the interior of my cooler around the use of commercial steam table pans that you can get from restaurant supply places. I figure something like two levels of pans with rails attached along the sides of the cooler that so you can slide the upper level pans to access the lower level.

Any thoughts?
Look around for plastic baskets for this. Sort of like smaller milk-crate types. The reason is that they allow airflow and give you some visibility as to where things are, and don't clang as you move them. If you mount slides/rails on the sides of the interior of the cooler, you can put a piece of plexi on the bottoms of the baskets so they slide on them.

As far as your reefer goes, definitely build separate compartments for freezer and fridge as you'll get much better performance. Definitely put some thought into the design and construction of the TOP of the compartments, particularly the doors/hatches, as that is where most of your heat penetration will come from. Design the doors with double gaskets instead of singles to get the best seal.

I would put a drain in the bottom of the compartments, if only to make them easy to defrost/clean, but make it so you can plug it/them.

I'm with Anne on the location of the sink...the closer to centerline, the less drainage/backflow issues you have. Also, when in a seaway, it's much easier to cook and clean when the sink is close to the center of the boat. Also depending on how you make coffee, it's easier/safer with the carafe down in the sink, and that's easier with the sink near the centerline.

I like pull out trash bins, and mine works really well. I'm not a fan of the opening-in-the-counter type as it limits how you can use that part of the counter.

Install a sink that takes full size drains and baskets. Those little small diameter drains are for the birds.

If you sail a lot, don't go for storage solutions, like slotted hanging knife racks, that allow things to rattle free. I've been on boats with galleys that made a deafening racket when the boat was underway, and silencing them required stuffing paper towels and socks all over the place

Lighting. Red alternative is good if you sail at night, but also a low power white. It's impossible to distinguish colors under red light, which can be important when working in the galley, and sometimes a ldim/ow white light is a good compromise between visibility and preserving your night vision.

The curved fiddle profile you showed was nice, but just make sure whatever you pick is easy to clean. Woodwork really suffers if you have to work to dig/scrub stuff out of crevices and corners.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:16   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I am planning on using this Hafele push button door pull, which can be seen in the picture of the pull-out spice cabinet.

I've been on a couple boats that have them and liked them. Pretty simple mechanism. Beats sticking your fingering in a hole and trying to find a latch while being tossed about.
I have those, and they are not very good.

Look rather for the kind which has a pin sticking through the handle, like fitted in the Andrew Winch designed interiors in Oysters from the 90s and 00s. Those are really superior.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:23   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
. . .

Although a residential hood is usually out of the question, it is often possible, and highly desirable, to install a dedicated galley exhaust fan.
. . .

A galley exhaust fan is worth its weight in gold. I would never want to be without one again.

The designer of my boat did it by installing a blower and duct like my engine room blowers, exhausting through the same transom grill.

It is, as I said, worth its weight in gold. Gets not just the funk of cooking out of the boat, but also all the water vapor produced by burning propane. I can't imagine how I lived without it before.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:30   #75

Boat: 44 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A galley exhaust fan is worth its weight in gold. I would never want to be without one again.

The designer of my boat did it by installing a blower and duct like my engine room blowers, exhausting through the same transom grill.

It is, as I said, worth its weight in gold. Gets not just the funk of cooking out of the boat, but also all the water vapor produced by burning propane. I can't imagine how I lived without it before.
Good Idea... I'll have to drag a tape measure around and see how to best make this happen. I like the idea of having it aft of the cockpit too, laying at anchor it would pull the heat down wind.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley