Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Nice Galley Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I always thought tip out garbage seemed like a good idea for a boat, but I don't know if I ever saw one. I have seen holes cut in counter tops with a lid that goes over them been have never lived with one. Do people who have them like them?
Yup, got it in my boat, and yes, I do like it. Only issue is I had to put a container in it so a plastic bag would fit, but that was a minor issue.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53   #17

These can be handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simplehuman-cabinet-mount-grocery-bag-can3.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	87615  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:58   #18

Nice Railing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	87616  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05   #19

Magnetic spice containers seems like an interesting idea. I've been thinking about putting some stainless panels up around the stove, maybe use the magnetic variety if I can get it in sheet since I seem to do most of my seasoning at the stove anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	contemporary-food-containers-and-storage.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	87617  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16   #20

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Yup, got it in my boat, and yes, I do like it. Only issue is I had to put a container in it so a plastic bag would fit, but that was a minor issue.
I had a tip-out trash receptacle in my old liveaboard cutter as well and really liked it. Of course, I designed the galley myself...

Mine had the internal box designed to take a standard kitchen-size plastic bag (with a notch in the sides next to the door so that the top of the bag could be turned down over the sides) so that no separate container was necessary.

I'm in the process of designing a new galley for my little cruising catboat and am planning to put drawer-mounted trash receptacles under the sink so that they slide beneath the cockpit sole.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:19   #21

Boat: Bristol 35

I like this thread as I'm working on a galley design for the bare hull I'm looking at. Lots of great ideas- keep 'em coming.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:34   #22

One detail I see often neglected in galley design is the lack of a proper toe kick.

Sometimes this is just an unavoidable fact of life due to stringer/bulkhead locations but I believe it's an important ergonomic detail that should be incorporated wherever possible, particularly at the sink for long term use.

Toe kick drawers are cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4ff5740354b292db8fa8162636c174ec.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	87619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	87620  

Old 03-09-2014, 11:51   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I always thought tip out garbage seemed like a good idea for a boat, but I don't know if I ever saw one. I have seen holes cut in counter tops with a lid that goes over them been have never lived with one. Do people who have them like them?
Island Packet has tip out garbage, I don't like ours and we don't use it. For one thing it bangs open and closed in a heavy sea unless you have a heavy shock cord or something to hold it closed, then it's a bear to open. Ended up so far with a regular trash can under the chart table
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28   #24

Quote:
The Whitby has a tip out garbage container and I hate it. Stopped using it and now put the can behind the companionway ladder. The problem is when it is even close to full a big wave rearranges everything and then you can't open it.

Fair winds, Hannah
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29   #25

Foot pumps for both salt and fresh water are a big plus.

Hannah
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Magnetic spice containers seems like an interesting idea. I've been thinking about putting some stainless panels up around the stove, maybe use the magnetic variety if I can get it in sheet since I seem to do most of my seasoning at the stove anyway.
We looked into those, but none seem to seal well. We now just put each spice in a ziplock and all the bags into a lock-n-lock container. Fresh spices always!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40   #27

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Island Packet has tip out garbage, I don't like ours and we don't use it. For one thing it bangs open and closed in a heavy sea unless you have a heavy shock cord or something to hold it closed, then it's a bear to open. Ended up so far with a regular trash can under the chart table
It just needs to be intelligently designed and implemented. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the concept.

Mine had just had a simple door hook. It never opened accidentally -- even offshore -- and you could open it easily with one hand.

Hannah: Yours probably had insufficient clearance above the bin to the cutout opening. With a couple of inches of clearance... no problem, even if the bin is full.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:42   #28

Quote:
As I said, I like them real well, had them on at least 3 boats. Just pick a container that fits your space and build a little shelf for it to sit on inside an existing door. Strap or bungie to secure. You don't have to buy a special made one. Mine were usually under the sink. Either tip out or on the back of a right or left hinge door.... swinging out. Handy and keeps the stink under the sink.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:06   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Our Jeanneau has the trash canister attached to the door to under the sinks. Open door & trash can comes out. A cord attached from under sink to the lid of the canister lifts the lid for you. It works well. I'd rather a rectangular trash can, but this works.

When thinking of trash, think in terms of separating recyclables like on land. It's a pain, but separating glass, tins, plastic, etc. from trash is becoming a necessity in many places.

Our fridge has both top & front access & I do like that. You can manage your fridge to conserve the cold, &/or have convenient access to items at the bottom. Our fridge & the cool box (top access only with cool air coming from an opening to the fridge) both have bottom drains so they may be used to store ice, or to easily defrost the fridge.

I like two deep sinks, and deep fiddles which double as a hand hold. A hatch over the stove is a good thing if design permits. A salt-water foot pump is useful.

Interesting thread ....
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:15   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Tip out works great on one boat, axis ATHWARTships... Have a round hole countertop on another and it's "The Bomb" ! phat? groovy? ... 10" round neck under the counter, bag held on by round rubber belt...

Have the peg holes with nylon rods for holding things in place as seen in your pics... Awesome too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Deep double sink with extra high faucet.
If not a double, deep is the key... Faucet with pull out spray simply way too useful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Foot pumps for both salt and fresh water are a big plus.

Hannah
YESSSS!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley