Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-10-2014, 12:52   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahè 36
Re: Nextgen generators

The 5.5kw is a 2 cylinder. I stood next to one at the boat show">Annapolis boat show and could hold a conversation at normal levels. I'm looking at this model too due to weight and size restrictions. This one will fit in my anchor locker at the base of the mast.

Old 30-10-2014, 13:16   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The 5.5 is a vertical twin, I don't know if the pistons are 180 out or not, it could be either.
The 3.5 is a horizontal single which means primary vibration should be front to back and not up and down, which is smoother? I have no idea. Sound wise the twin should be smoother as there are twice as many power strokes, but vertical twins are not known for lack of vibration.

A three cyl engine ala Northrn Lights should be the smoothest

Old 30-10-2014, 20:58   #18

For your AC unit, check on a soft start. It lowers the starting load and that is the worst peak load. As for a watermaker, get a Spectra and run it on DC.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:52   #19

Boat: Corbin39

I installed the 5.5k in June this year and am very happy with its performance. Quieter than expected without much vibration. Can't give you longterm durability on the exhaust elbow but I do know the shop thats makes it along with a few other weldments on the unit and quality is apparent in all their work. IMHO I would recommend the 5.5. I removed my aft head and mounted it there. So far I've had no complaints on the noise.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hugh Wilde View Post
For your AC unit, check on a soft start. It lowers the starting load and that is the worst peak load. As for a watermaker, get a Spectra and run it on DC.
Intent is to go with an inverter / charger that will help with in rush current.
I haven't set on a watermaker, I won't get one of those until I leave, but I believe even Tellie has said if you have a generator go with a Cruise RO, maybe he was just being nice I don't know, but I have time to figure that out.

Be difficult I think to have enough solar so that I would never need a generator on my boat, so if I'm going to have a generator anyway, doesn't it make more sense to use the AC power for more than just charging batteries? I believe to keep a generator happy, you need to use it a couple of times a week, and when it's used to load it up enough so that it gets fully heated up. I'm thinking a two to three hour run, twice a week, that should give me more water than I could possibly use and keep the generator exercised, but not put significant time on it, ought to last a long time if cared for at a usage rate like that.

I still intend on Solar, just use the gen to get me past the bulk phase in the morning a couple of times a week and letting the Solar handle the absorption part during the day, plus have a back up for those week long times of heavy overcast and rain you sometimes get, without a generator I assume those times are hard on batteries.

Tags
generator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: