Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 16:26   #1

Newbie Needs Help Figuring Out Cost to Restore Annapolis 30' (Rhodes)

Newbie here and in need for a help to figure out a budget (and overall feasibility) for restoring a 30’ Rhodes design sailboat from the 60’s. The boat was built in Annapolis and it appears to be an Annapolis 30 model (see here: ANNAPOLIS 30 (RHODES) sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed.) but some info that I got is that the different builder built this one for himself, so my guess is that he got plans from Olsen Marine after they stopped building them because the lawsuit by Philip Rhodes (see notes on the bottom of the linked page above).

Anyway… I am offered this boat for free to work on it and restore it, but I’m trying to figure out how much it may cost me to do that. Now, I understand that it is never finished and it can go from something to extreme… but I need to get me some numbers going first.

I am hoping that there are a lot of people with the experience in rebuilding, if nothing but parts of the boat. I’m also counting on owners of Alberg 30 that is very similar boat to this one and of the same era.

Here are few photos of the exterior and interior to get the feel for a current condition. Venus pictures by mvelimir - Photobucket The boat has been sitting like this for last 7-8 years and was a nice, cozy home to many families of mice as I discovered many nests as well as their droppings everywhere.

I count on me doing most of the work as I’m quite handy and unafraid of taking on any kind of project. I have plenty of tools and will get some more. My plan is to gut everything out, except maybe the front cabin bulkhead. Once I have everything inside gutted I plan on cleaning it, repairing anything that needs to be repaired, installing new electrical wiring, new plumbing, new water and fuel tanks, than painting, building new berths, new head, new galley and installing a new engine.

On the outside I need to do a full sanding, repairing hull in few spots, then painting, installing a new standing and running rigging, new stanchions and lifelines, new hatches, new boom and of course… new sails.

I have tried to break-down jobs and cost like this: (cost is based on material and any specialized labor I might need, I don’t price my work here)

Interior:
1. New engine............................................ ......................... 3,000
2. New head.............................................. .......................... 1,200
3. New electrical system............................................ .......... 1,500
4. New plumbing.......................................... ....................... 2,000
5. New bilge pumps............................................. ................... 500
6. New fresh water supply............................................ .......... 500
7. New galley (new ice box, sink, stove, drawers, etc…) ....... 1,500
8. New berths, shelves, etc… .............................................. 1,500
Total interior.......................................... ...................... $11,700

Exterior
1. New sails............................................. ............................ 3,000
2. New boom.............................................. ........................... 700
3. New standing rigging (cables, turnbuckles, etc…) ............. 1,200
4. New running rigging (ropes, etc…) ................................... 1,200
5. New instruments....................................... ...................... 1,500
6. New hatches........................................... ........................ 1,000
7. New paint job(s)............................................ .................. 2,000
Total exterior.......................................... ..................... $10,600

Total boat restoration project....................................... $22,300

In some cases I have totally guessed the number and I’m hoping that I should be able to do it for less, but it will be awesome if people with experience can pitch in and let me know if and what can be done for less money or if I’m unrealistically optimistic about doing something for as low as I guessed.

Please discuss…
mvelimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Newbie needs help figuring out cost to restore Annapolis 30' (Rhodes)

Regrettably the link to your photos did not work for me. Can you upload then to this site (maybe using the grey "Manage Attachments" button just below the "Reply Post" data entry box)?

I'm assuming that you want to end up with a classic yacht, and that sailing and livability is secondary to this.

The reason I mention this is because its a big project to do part time, and if sailing or cruising is the aim there may be better boats available.

The costing you suggest is a good start. However, to be realistic, your cash outlay could easily go to more than double the amount. I'm thinking yard rent over 3+ years, travel lift, power, paint, consumables (glue, resin, tools etc), car costs, dinghy, safety equipment ...

I've built 2 boats from scratch (21.5 Van de Stadt ply, 32 Hartley ferro) and am currently 4+ years into the fitout of Boracay (see blog). Its really easy to underestimate the amount of work required. I'd estimate 1500 hours of my wood butcher skills, or over 5000 hours do do a really exceptional job.

I can see how you'd end up with a boat that would turn heads. However there are bound to be boats that other owners have put their hearts into over 20 or more years that age or circumstances are forcing them to sell.

Some of these may need little more than upkeep of the varnish, and could cost less than rebuilding the Rhodes.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:45   #3

Here are photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	126c.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	28572   Click image for larger version

Name:	137c.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	28573  

Name:	138c.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	28574   Click image for larger version

Name:	139c.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	28575  

Name:	161c.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	28576   Click image for larger version

Name:	162c.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	28577  

Old 15-06-2011, 17:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvelimir View Post
Newbie here and in need for a help to figure out a budget (and overall feasibility) for restoring a 30’ Rhodes design sailboat from the 60’s. The boat was built in Annapolis and it appears to be an Annapolis 30 model (see here: ANNAPOLIS 30 (RHODES) sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed.) but some info that I got is that the different builder built this one for himself, so my guess is that he got plans from Olsen Marine after they stopped building them because the lawsuit by Philip Rhodes (see notes on the bottom of the linked page above).

Anyway… I am offered this boat for free to work on it and restore it, but I’m trying to figure out how much it may cost me to do that. Now, I understand that it is never finished and it can go from something to extreme… but I need to get me some numbers going first.

I am hoping that there are a lot of people with the experience in rebuilding, if nothing but parts of the boat. I’m also counting on owners of Alberg 30 that is very similar boat to this one and of the same era.

Here are few photos of the exterior and interior to get the feel for a current condition. Venus pictures by mvelimir - Photobucket The boat has been sitting like this for last 7-8 years and was a nice, cozy home to many families of mice as I discovered many nests as well as their droppings everywhere.

I count on me doing most of the work as I’m quite handy and unafraid of taking on any kind of project. I have plenty of tools and will get some more. My plan is to gut everything out, except maybe the front cabin bulkhead. Once I have everything inside gutted I plan on cleaning it, repairing anything that needs to be repaired, installing new electrical wiring, new plumbing, new water and fuel tanks, than painting, building new berths, new head, new galley and installing a new engine.

On the outside I need to do a full sanding, repairing hull in few spots, then painting, installing a new standing and running rigging, new stanchions and lifelines, new hatches, new boom and of course… new sails.

I have tried to break-down jobs and cost like this: (cost is based on material and any specialized labor I might need, I don’t price my work here)

Interior:
1. New engine............................................ ......................... 3,000
2. New head.............................................. .......................... 1,200
3. New electrical system............................................ .......... 1,500
4. New plumbing.......................................... ....................... 2,000
5. New bilge pumps............................................. ................... 500
6. New fresh water supply............................................ .......... 500
7. New galley (new ice box, sink, stove, drawers, etc…) ....... 1,500
8. New berths, shelves, etc… .............................................. 1,500
Total interior.......................................... ...................... $11,700

Exterior
1. New sails............................................. ............................ 3,000
2. New boom.............................................. ........................... 700
3. New standing rigging (cables, turnbuckles, etc…) ............. 1,200
4. New running rigging (ropes, etc…) ................................... 1,200
5. New instruments....................................... ...................... 1,500
6. New hatches........................................... ........................ 1,000
7. New paint job(s)............................................ .................. 2,000
Total exterior.......................................... ..................... $10,600

Total boat restoration project....................................... $22,300

In some cases I have totally guessed the number and I’m hoping that I should be able to do it for less, but it will be awesome if people with experience can pitch in and let me know if and what can be done for less money or if I’m unrealistically optimistic about doing something for as low as I guessed.

Please discuss…
I rebuilt a 1966 Alberg 30. I did NOT do #I7,I8, E2 and E3. The hull was Imroned. The Grey Marine 25 was rebuilt completely (stellite valve seats, bored and sleeved, etc. with new alt and pumps). I spent $26k not including the boat and that was 10 years ago. The boat was valued after the rebuild at $10k by the market and Insurance company, but I got $16k when I sold it. Yes, I had $10k worth of fun for 5 yrs.
I sold it because it was just too small for any extended (month or longer) cruising. That being said, I would have sailed it anywhere in any weather.

I now have ZigZag a 1975 Pearson 39 yawl which I spent the last 4 years rebuilding (new engine, new rigging, stack pack, sails, cushions, bimini, etc, etc.). I quit counting the cost as this is my final boat.

Would I rebuild the Alberg now knowing what I know? No, I wouldn't.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 07:40   #5

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

mvelimir,

It's been a month so you may have already decided on this boat. I'll throw in agreement that your costs are base costs and will go up from there, even if you scout for deals on parts and equipment and do all of the work yourself. Unless you want the experience of this restoration project, want to have that boat for a long time to come and have lots of spare time on your hands I'd find a different boat to spend your time and money on.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:07   #6

Re: Newbie Needs Help Figuring Out Cost to Restore Annapolis 30' (Rhodes)

Thank you all so much for the input! I weight in your suggestions did some more soul searching and decided to give it a pass. It breaks my hear because I just love how that boat looks and the potential behind it, but with the cost of restoration and admitting that I don't have as much free time as I will need to work on it I gave up.

Now, I'm trying to find a boat that will attract my interest both with look and features as well as the price. Wish me luck!
Old 13-11-2011, 07:56   #7

I'm in a similar boat but would like to hear you opinions on restoring a 1963 Trintella than can be purchased with a trailer for $500. The condition is close to the same as the one above and if purchased the plan would be to gut it and start from the bare bones. I have a place to keep it while we fix it up. Also this boat would be used for cruising the Caribbean and maybe living aboard if we found the right spot. Not much info online about these babies..... I did find a nice yahoo forum with lots of positive reviews! Thanks for all your help you provide to us newbies!
Porter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 01:17   #8

Boat: Seafarer 38

I am doing a simular project on a Rhodes 38 seafarer and you could double that cost. From cooker, fridge , winches hardware electrics autopilot the list goes on. You should budget for $40 k
Sorry to be the messenger of bad news.
Jfdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, restoration