Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 10:01   #1

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I
Newbie Help!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, so I'm sure I'm doing this the wrong way - and I sincerely apologize. I am considering purchasing a '64 Columbia 29 that is not in the greatest shape in the world. My vision is to pretty much completely refit her. I'm good with wood, but have limited experience with fiberglass. The motor and the sails are both in pretty good condition; rigging is okay, too. Of course, she is chalky and has some barnacles. Owner is asking $3,000. She is currently in the water (Corpus Christi). I will go down to Corpus in a couple weeks, and I was considering paying for a survey.

First, I'm soliciting opinions on whether this sounds like a project that's really not worth the time and/or $$$. She sails as is, and I'm not planning any trans-oceanic voyages. But I WOULD like to have a boat that is aesthetically pleasing, inside and out.

Please feel free to comment - including to tell me if this is the wrong place or wrong manner in which to post my questions. Thanks so much! Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Dave
padave29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:16   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Newbie Help!

It probably has an atomic four gas engine. Thats ok because you can still get parts for them. Any other gas engine is a deal breaker.

You can fix just about anything on those boats.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:25   #3

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I

Yes, it has an Atomic 4, and it runs fine. I was hoping someone would say exactly what you just did - so you think she could be refitted nicely, then?
padave29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Really need someone that know what they are looking at render an opinion, then you pretty much have to be stealing the boat.
If you get a thumbs up from an expert and the price is almost nothing, it may be worth it, but any money you put into her will be gone, so don't go spending a lot
This is just my opinion, you may get others that differ
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:42   #5

Boat: csy 37

What a64 says. Dont put tons of money into it. It wont significantly increase the value of the boat. And have at least a knowledgeable person look it over. But at a couple of thousand dollars you wont be too deep in if everything goes south.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:53   #6

On the upside of buying a 50yr boat is that her fiberglass is pretty substantial and probably solid all the way, even the deck. If not I'd be checking especially for soft spots on deck and the cabin top. Is the mast keel or deck stepped?

Personally I'm not a fan of gas Atomics and they do depress boat's value a lot compared to even an old diesel. But if the boat is otherwise in decent shape, for a 50 yr old boat of course, like the previous posters said, couple of grand will not be out of place as her price. On such old boats 90% of their value is in her engine, rigging, sails and electronics on board, in that order. So if most of these components are in good shape you've got a keeper at a decent price. But even if the hull is in very good shape but most of these other items are not than it is not even worth getting as a donation since you will spend $1,000s to upgrade her not to mention time, sweat, tears and elbow grease involved.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote