Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 10:45   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: New windows! Glass or polycarbonate on piloto house?

I'm no expert. Polycarbonate is bullet proof but scratches easily. Tempered glass will spider web with the slighted lateral pressure and turn into chips. If you can get it with safety glass, eg: car windshield with the membrane inside, I would opt. for it
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:42   #17

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Lots of good stuff! Thanks
Some general comments on all of information:
I'm not planning make a flat glass, but curved in one single axis (horizontal).
I'll need to beef up the top wood sustaining the inside as Unciv said but I'll add a reinforcement Just below the actual ones.
The reason i'm doing is because the leaking (thermal expansion).
I've consulted a glass expert in a shop and the full tempered glass is 5 times stronger than the car type windshield laminate glass, the late one is safer in case of breakage, but brakes easily.
As I said before, this expert said factory does any Constant curve in one single axis. I just have to be sure my curve is a constant one.
carlo de leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:38   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you're going to be rebuilding the support structure, which probably is the smart thing to do, then it's worth getting together with an NA & having him evaluate what's there & then come up with a plan for the rebuild. That way you'll know for certain that the structure is more than strong enough.

The other thing is that there are more types of glass than there are flavors of ice cream, so it's worth doing a good bit of research on the topic. I say this not just for the OP, but for anyone else considering new glazings. And the resources I mentioned earlier are a good place to start. As one article on glass for maritime applications in Professional Boatbuilder was about 15 pages long, & FULL of good info. It was early in the 2000's IIRC. Plus they always have great bibliographies for most of their articles, with POC's for the article's references, ditto on anyone that supplied materials for the articles. And their authors are top notch.

As to Acrylic, or Polycarbonate for that matter, there's a huge variety of grades & types of them too. Of wildly different; optical qualities, impact ratings, & scratch resistance. Ditto on their coatings. So if you buy the right grade, preferably with quality coatings, the optical qualities will be top notch, and will remain so for many, many years.

For example, over the years most of my prescription glasses have had lenses made of various types of plastics, paired with quality coatings. And there was no real discernable optical differences between them & glass lenses. This along with the fact that they were shatter proof, & actually more scratch resistant than glass.

Bottom line, the end result & the quality there of is determined by buying the correct grade of material, & treating it properly when machining & forming it. Along with giving it the proper care throughout it's life. As all of the materials mentioned have pro's & con's. And properly sealed, most all of them will remain leak proof for years.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 19:47   #19

Boat: Woodward 47

we have Aust tempered glass since 1988 been around the world not a problem look like new.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 12:58   #20

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Thanks everybody!
carlo de leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind