Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 14:37   #61

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: New vs Old

ZEE

Calm down Zee, this is just a discussion of old boats versus newer boats. Even in the 70 and 80s there were light weight cruisers/racers as there are now and then there were many full keel heavy displacement boat such as yours. Everyone is entitled to their opinon. You are the heavy weight type as I am. But you realize sailing is still sailing and not everyone agrees with everyone else(Or anyone) when it the type of sailboat you might or do want. You and I like more stable platforms, not a lighter type boat; so let's all make up and throw kisses at each other until they hit the right spot.LOL
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:05   #62

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

As always, the issues of older, or newer, heave or light cause issues..
and then as always, how heavy, or how light, traditional square rigger, or newer sweptback rigging with full or fractional rigs..
and the untouched, steel, glass or wood...
Many have positive, and Negetive issues and one mans roof is another mans floor..
we went through all of this when looking for "R3" as we did in all the boats previous.. even thou all our previous boats were all different..
By the way, ours is NOT a light weight boat and as an owners version, comes across the scale at 24,500 empty.. Not really in the ULDB or light weight catagory for a 42 foot sled..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:07   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New vs Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Just what is an OLD boat anyway??????????? Starting at what year?

Or is this really about old STYLE verse new style. And if so what was does that mean?
This is an 'Old Boat.....'
Shes nearly 110 now I believe.. done the Atlantic loop twice in the last 10 years... strong as when new...
you guys are discussing new born and toddlers in comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spike n Ibis.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	31728  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:44   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this, that i learned to sail on, is gonna be 110 in 2013...is undergoing restoration currently and is a registered national historic treasure. eleanor has been in family for half her life, as my uncle bought her in 1952.
my boat is new, having been born in 1976.
mine has a lil more freeboard.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:53   #65

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I was tied up at Summerfield's boat yard years ago when a young French couple came in in an old converted 30' lifeboat ketch rig that they had just finished a wrong way circumnavagation in. They had bought the boat for $500 and put a deck, a couple of telephone pole masts compleat with heavy galvanised cable rigging, sails that they recut from what someone had donated to them. They had a compass and an old WW11 radio. He used a lead line for a depth finder. They were on there voyage for 3 years, had a kid on the way.
When they got to Florida, they gave up and flew home.
They gave the boat to a hippy - said it didnt owe them anything - it had only cost them about $2500 and a few months work.
And you guys think you have it tough in your tupperware yachts!!!!???
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:02   #66

who is sailing tupperware?
Old 18-09-2011, 08:19   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
I have a BIG QUESTION.I have read in several post here and other venues that some would rather take a 15 yr old Quality sailboat such as a Bristol, Hinckley, Cape Dory ect accross the Ocean that a New Hunter, Benetea,Catalina ect.I understand the structure of the newer boats is lighter using grid systems ect for strength whereas the older boats relied on heavy laminate with less of a grid system.Be that as it may would 30 to 40 yr old heaver built boat be more trust worthy than a 10 to 15 yr old lighter built boat only talking structure not systems.I would like any and all input .Thank you all
And back to the origional question..
The Older heavy weight boats were built like they were, because they had to, and not because they wanted to.. the structure was that way to keep the boat together as it was the only way they knew how to do it..
The same followed true with old wood boats, major beams were used until multi layer plywood was descovered.. now complete hulls are built using marine ply with little or no cross beams..
Beneteau was the first to use a seperate grid system that was laid up seperate from the hull and then glassed into it creating a strong and worthy hull without the weight..
There are definete trade offs between the two designs but Safety is NOT one of them.. Manufacturers are in the business to make money and if the boat they build is not up to standards, they will be out of business..
The brands you mentioned Hunter, Beneteau, and Catalina are still in business and doing well, (except for this damn market) and probably be doing so for years to come.. and less of the heavy weight design are seen traveling the world..
Old 18-09-2011, 08:40   #68

splain to all, than , why it is that so very many taiwanese boats are still travelling the world, as are babas and hans christians, and wauquiez, tayanas and other heavier boats, and not as many catahuntebenelinas, once out in the pacific......or are you merely counting boats in the delta?
even older cal 2-46s and columbia 46s
Old 18-09-2011, 09:17   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
splain to all, than , why it is that so very many taiwanese boats are still travelling the world, as are babas and hans christians, and wauquiez, tayanas and other heavier boats, and not as many catahuntebenelinas, once out in the pacific......or are you merely counting boats in the delta?
even older cal 2-46s and columbia 46s
Are you going to contribute anything positive Zee or just continue to try to bust my balls??????????
More Beneteaus are sailing the waters of the world than any other boat..... And thats a fact.........
Catalina and Hunter come in at a close second..
Old 18-09-2011, 10:20   #70

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have to state the obvious. My old boat was very old, over twenty five years. Ultimately I didn't like it anymore so I got my new boat which is also old but I really like her. So I have to go with the new boat crowd. I will always like my new boat better than my old one.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:39   #71

is truly hilarious to hear someone cry from sacto delta about what is truly "out here" when i SEE quite different than what is stated from the office of a canvas shop in sacto delta. do i have to take and post pix for you??? mebbe in sacto delta and other bays ther e are many of these catabenehuntalinas, but in reality, go see for yourself how far wrong you are., look at the entry list to baja haha... touch reality,. randy, you are not correct.
there are no more than 10 catabenehuntalinas in mazatlan in the 3 marinas in my vicinity. the rest are island packet, pacific seacraft, 10-15 taiwanese boats, wauquiez, 6 ferro cements, 6 wetsnails,some older -- mid 1970s european made boats, 5 old woodies in beautiful shape, 4 fujis, 10 cheoy lees, and other non catabenehuintalinas. oh yes and 2 1970s islander 30s. so to say MOST OF THE BOATS OUT here CRUISING THE WORLD ARE same, is a boldfaced made by a desk jock. the boats make great dock queens. when i was sailing gulf for a year, many hunters were coastal cruising, but not as many were sailing as at docks rotting. the seidelmanns, westsails, islanders some racing boats, and some taiwanese--ct and vagabond and hans christians....

just because you make their canvas does NOT mean they ever leave the dock-- they AINT out here, mon.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:01   #72

Zee, cruise through Barra de Navidad, La Paz, Cabo, San Diego, SFO and the San Juans there seem to be plenty of brand new, very 'spensive' boats out and about. or aboot when in Canada, eh.

Maybe you're hanging out in sketchy locales?

And before anybody gives me crap, mine was built in 1938
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:13   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Zee, cruise through Barra de Navidad, La Paz, Cabo, San Diego, SFO and the San Juans there seem to be plenty of brand new, very 'spensive' boats out and about. or aboot when in Canada, eh.

Maybe you're hanging out in sketchy locales?

And before anybody gives me crap, mine was built in 1938
It could also be that as mazatlan is in a "hurricane area" and it is still hurricane season, that the boats that are not about have been sailed to safer area.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:25   #74

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
What are we going to do in 30 years when all the "new' boats are then the "old" boats. Oh, the future looks sad indeed
I fully expect to pass my 1978 boat on to my kids.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:31   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
To All Posting Herein

While I'm sure everyones horizon is the sum total of their world, others horizons appear to have sails of different colours and materials. IF you can't respect others opinions and post in a manner that reflects it please don't post at all.

Please note this is an official warning. Don't make me resort to undercover moderator tactics. Thanks.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote