Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2019, 10:00   #1

New to me Bene 343, winterization and tools needed....

Just closed on a Beneteau 343. It is currently on the hard and I am going to winterize her this weekend (she is in upstate NY). She was built in the USA (SC) and has an Yanmar 3ym30. This is my first "big" boat, and I am a winterization virgin. The marina is in the middle of nowhere, I want to have all the tools/supplies with me as finding them there will be time consuming.

Questions:

1) I am assuming the yanmar is metric...is this correct? Should I bring both SAE and metric?

2) Have oil and filter, and oil syphon pump. Since she is on the hard running the engine is a pain, I am planning on just changing the oil and filter, run the engine using antifreeze as the intake fluid. Will test the engine coolant to make sure it still provides adequate freeze protection. In the spring I will be replacing the engine coolant (its green and Yanmar suggests dex-cool which is usually red, need to flush it out good which is a pain on the hard), impeller, and transmission oil. Anything reason to change the coolant now despite the pain? Anything I am missing?

Will drain the tanks and fill them with antifreeze, and run all lines. Drain the hot water tank, put antifreeze in the bilge/s and run the pumps, take out the batteries, and cover the cockpit....I will get a full cover for next winter. Anything I am missing? She has her mast up as a FYI.

Thanks in advance for replies!
intervivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 10:16   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: New to me Bene 343, winterization and tools needed....

I'd say you've got it pretty well covered. As far as coolant, is there any spare coolant aboard to give you a hint as to what's in the system? If so, some other coolants are almost identical to Dex-Cool chemically, but in different colors.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 10:29   #3

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: New to me Bene 343, winterization and tools needed....

What I do on my B361:
- Disconnect and bypass water heater. Drain water heater and put some antifreeze in it (until is comes out of the drain). Leave drain open.
- Drain tanks, disconnect lines from tanks and insert directly into antifreeze jugs before running all faucets, hot and cold.
- Antifreeze in the bilge
- Antifreeze in fridge pumpout, shower pumpout and head.
- Run green antifreeze (-100F) through engine when on the hard.

Not sure about Yanmar as my engine is Westerbeke but to change coolant I can just drain the block into bilge and refill.
You will not be able to drain oil properly from the cold engine but it is better than nothing and I would probably change oil again after launch in the spring.
Otherwise your plan looks ok.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote