Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-01-2016, 12:19   #1

New teak flooring

I'm about to install a teak floor in my boat, but was wondering how to treat the teak. Should I oil it, or varnish, epoxy? Should I do both sides to prevent warping?

Scot_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 12:44   #2

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: New teak flooring

Seems you would want a hard finish like Epiphane Satin 2 part epoxy, can't answer about both sides however our boat is done this way.

undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 04:31   #3

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35', Siren

Minwax floor wax is an excellent choice when using solid is actually a bit less slippery than varnish/hard coatings, especially when wet with bare feet. It is easily repairable (spotted in) in "wear" areas. A good clean and recoat every couple of years keep the sole looking perfect. It adds a very warm inviting glow to the interior.
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:42   #4

Boat: Spray Replica

Scott, I laid a new teak sole through out our boat a few years back. I wrote a blog article on the procedure that I used on the maintenance pages of our website.

New Cabin Sole - Blog Article View

I finished the teak with a saturation coat of Evidure epoxy and then rolled on 2 pac polyurethane. I am very happy with the results. We have completed thousands of sea miles and have never found the gloss to be a problem. In fact I recently buffed the sole with 3M 'Finese It' to freshen the lustre.

sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote

flooring, teak

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: