Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2012, 14:04   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: New System for Hull Cleaning Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
After reading the thread again, that's what I think, too.

But professional hull cleaning isn't common here, probably because fouling isn't really severe on a painted hull. So, boat owners don't have a price reference to compare with.

Alain

Don't know why it would cost any more there than anywhere else. Here it's about a dollar a foot. My guy uses scuba gear and there's a $10 surcharge for the tank usage, but he's worth it.

Old 09-10-2012, 14:53   #17

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I have just found a price list for hull cleaning with scuba gear in my area: 6€/meter, or about USD2.5/foot.

I have no idea of an explanation for the price difference.

Alain

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21   #18

Well, it's still a great marketing gimmick for the untrained eye, especially for the newly rich folks with 60 feet power boats... Plus, you can always dive at the end of the cleaning for an inspection and replacements...
Old 18-06-2013, 05:38   #19

Boat: Sabre 38 mkII

Anyone living in the free and easy warm waters in the islands can rejoice in the fact that its simple to do themselves, or a diver can do it easily.. however, in the rich (read polluted) waters of the over legislated, blame all marine pollution on boaters, USA, this system has a future....particularly since all the naysayers have yet to show a diver collecting all the debris, and complying with pollution laws.

Its flawed, yes. Perfect, no, Potential?.. definitely.
Old 18-06-2013, 07:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
...this system has a future....particularly since all the naysayers have yet to show a diver collecting all the debris, and complying with pollution laws.
Show me where divers are not complying with pollution laws.

Also, this particular robotic hull cleaner may collect the "debris" (whatever that means) but I guarantee it is not collecting the copper it is scrubbing out of the paint.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:50   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hi.

I’m in France and I know pretty well this Hulltimo solution. Indeed there are two solutions (two products). Hulltimo Pro for professionals and Hulltimo Smart for amateur yachtsmen.

Hulltimo Smart and Pro allows you to maintain your hull, while respecting environmental regulations.
Thanks to those solutions you are able to clean 99% of the hull (waterline, rudder blade…).

Some divers are also using Hulltimo Smart for an easiest way of in-water hull cleaning. The company is actually working on a new model that perfectly fits for divers.
Obviously, those solutions and divers are not incompatible.

I hope this could help you.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannL View Post
The company is actually working on a new model that perfectly fits for divers.
Can you describe this model?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26   #23
Marine Service Provider

Yes of course, with pleasure.
This model is a variant of the Hulltimo Smart model. You can have more details about it on the website of the company.

It is the same brush unit with a 15 meters power cable that is connected to a battery or a 12V adaptor on the yacht.
There is a specific handle with the brush unit that is specially designed for divers.
Its self-attaching function allows it to effortlessly hug the hull.
Some of them said that they could clean a hull in a half time than usually.

The smart solution is already used by different companies on the French Riviera as well as divers in charge of the French navy sub marine maintenance.

If you would like, I would be pleased to give you more information by private message.
If you are interested, I could also speak about lending to you a model.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

my divers charge 1 usdollar per foot and do excellent work. they also inspect my zincs and let me know, in spanish, what i need to do .

when i had divers using brushes i did not like the results.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This model is a variant of the Hulltimo Smart model. There is a specific handle with the brush unit that is specially designed for divers.
So am I correct in assuming that this model is manually steered by the diver while he is in the water?

Quote:
If you are interested, I could also speak about lending to you a model.
That is a very generous offer. However, if you have read my posts in this thread (and others), you know that I am quite skeptical about the benefits of the Hulltimo. I am well aware of its limitations. One thing I would like to know is how well it can clean a hull that is in a worse state of fouling than the relatively clean hulls depicted in your promotional videos. Those hulls are so lightly fouled as to almost not need cleaning. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, a boat with paint in good condition would reach that state of fouling within a week or two, which means almost every boat I clean is significantly more foul than that. Before I could ever consider a diver-driven Hulltimo to be a useful tool, I'd need to see it handling realistic fouling. In addition, I wonder how quickly the debris capture bag would fill in a situation such as the one I described.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe I scared him away.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38   #27
Marine Service Provider

“Maybe I scared him away. ”

Not at all, just a busy week end. Maybe are you a little bit overconfident? ; )
Moreover, it is not my native language so if I don’t want to make too many mistakes I have to take my time to answer (sadly).

“when i had divers using brushes i did not like the results.”

Maybe you could take a look to the videos on Hulltimo’s website. Most of the people find out very good results with the polyamide brush and the vortex of the Hulltimo Smart.

“So am I correct in assuming that this model is manually steered by the diver while he is in the water?”

Yes you are if you mean that the Hulltimo Smart for divers is manually steered in the water. But you could also use the basic Hulltimo Smart from the boat or from the pontoon.

Of course, I read your posts very carefully. Indeed, I think it is important to work with skeptical people. They can help you to improve the efficiency of your product because they can easily find out the limitations. If you can convince skeptical people it is also a good thing. I think there opinion has a great value for over people and it could be quite a success for us and our products.

You can clean a hull in a worst state. We just test our products on our boats very often. However the idea of Hulltimo is a clean hull all of the year (faster sailing and reduced fuel consumption). You can use Hulltimo’s solution 2/4 times a year (it is depend on the environment). The real limitation is shells, we could build hardest brush but obviously there is a risk to damage the paint of the boat. It is not the concept of Hulltimo.

Debris are crushed, so the bag doesn’t fill quickly. Obviously, It is depending on the boat and its state of fouling. On average I would say one bag for one boat but it is really depend of the conditions.

I hope I could correctly answer to your questions.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the response. And I am in agreement that boat bottoms should be cleaned frequently enough that they can always be cleaned gently, thereby keeping the paint on the hull, where it belongs. That being said, the reality is that in regions of moderate to high fouling (such as San Francisco Bay) many boats are not cleaned frequently enough to avoid heavier fouling. I'm not talking about shelled animal fouling, I'm simply talking about normal, relatively thick algae fouling. In order to be useful where I conduct business, your device needs to be able to cope with this, and I haven't seen any evidence that it can, your word on the matter notwithstanding.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:19   #29
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for your picture.
It is difficult to realize with a single image but if it is just thick algae fouling it should be ok.
In that case, maybe we should use more than one disposable bag. It is depend on the size of the boat.
In my opinion, the best way to be sure is to test Hulltimo Smart in San Francisco.
We will plan to do it as soon as possible but I am pretty confident.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for your picture.
It is difficult to realize with a single image but if it is just thick algae fouling it should be ok.
In that case, maybe we should use more than one disposable bag. It is depend on the size of the boat.
In my opinion, the best way to be sure is to test Hulltimo Smart in San Francisco.
We will plan to do it as soon as possible but I am pretty confident.
PM sent.

Tags
cleaning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: