Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 01:49   #16

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
why not just call up Sabre Yachts and ask them what the original specs for the boat was. After all it could have been re-rigged before with a previous owner.

Make sure you get the wire size and type (304 vs 316). Then work from there.

If you want to keep your costs under control, but have a long lasting rig put swages on the upper ends and sta-loks on the lower ends.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Ive researched the dux and see that it requires larger sized pins than i can accomodate.
You just shackle dead-eyes and/or thibles for synthetic rigging to your chain plates/mast attachments and do away with the turnbuckles too! see here: Precourt Rigging - Internationally recognized for our synthetic rigging systems

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:54   #18

Im thinking that the dux would be a nice twist but it equates to more work than i have time for now i think. Im leaning towards the same wire size with the newly discovered norseman's. Im also looking into hayn hi mods. Anyone have a preference? Sta lok doesnt offer the proper size.
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 21:09   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
One noted rigger no longer uses the Hayn fittings. The quality control on the former that the wire fits into is lacking. They had to file out the slots on the former to make them work. Time involved making them work was just too much for a commercial operation.

With the Norsemans, be sure and use an anti-seize or lubricant on the threads when putting them together. If you don't, the threads can gall ruining the fittings, btdt.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19   #20

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Im thinking that the dux would be a nice twist but it equates to more work than i have time for now i think. Im leaning towards the same wire size with the newly discovered norseman's. Im also looking into hayn hi mods. Anyone have a preference? Sta lok doesnt offer the proper size.
Shoot Colligo an email or call John. He can make up your lines ahead of time and save anyone who does not want to splice, everything pre-stretched and ready to attach.
I just learned he has smaller fittings that work for smaller size (5mm) Dux... now that are not post on the website. These may be what you are looking for. Would be interesting to see what you get quoted.

Home
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:44   #21

Finally pulled the trigger...

Well, after all the going back and forth with the up or down a size idea (and almost going down a size and just being done with it), I ended up going up to 1/4" 316 1x19 with aircraft eyes swaged on. I contacted a place my brother used for his pearson and the quote was almost half the money as my nearest rigger: Price was outrageously friendly so I immediately pulled out the credit card and paid over the phone - 6 wires with swages $460. I had been told that this place does alot of the production boat rigging including some premium brands. Their price was almost as cheap as I could buy just the wire alone! Ill keep the thread up dated for future reference as to how the measuring worked out and also the product itself. Thanks all for the help, maybe in another five years Ill look into that Dynex... but by then we'll have kevlar or some such thing...
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging