Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 01:28   #1

New Set of Spanners

Default*new spanner setI need to get a complete set of metric combination spanners (8mm to 19mm) to keep on the boat. I've seen them at under a fiver from CPC but have been advised that I need to spend £30-40 for reasonable quality. Any ideas?
ghostlymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: New Set of Spanners

Don't know what CPC is, but it's worth spending extra to get decent spanners. NOthing worse than cheap, soft steel that distorts and slips when you really need the grip.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Get a set of rachet head spanners. best thing on a boat.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

With the amount of use the spanners will get in boat maintenance, I'll bet even the cheap set will outlast you. Spend the difference on cold beer, consumed while you gloat on your practicality.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Draper make good and reasonably priced tools in the UK
Old 10-11-2014, 10:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I'm assuming you are speaking British and referring to what we call over here as wrenches. I would not buy the super cheap stuff but £30-40 sounds a bit high, at least in the states.

I do have a set of ratchet spanners and the times where I really need them is worth the cost of the whole set. However if you're working on an old marine engine I would start with a set of basic 6 point, not 12 point. The 6 point gets a much better grip on the head of the bolt or the nuts and less likely to round it off.

Probably overboard but I have a sets of 6 and 12 point in metric and inch and ratchets in both up to 3/4" or 19mm. Also some spares in the common sizes like 1/2" or 13 mm.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:38   #7

Boat: Catalina 387

My boat tools are all harbor freight (cheap Chinese) tools. Amazingly, the chromed spanners/wrenches haven't corroded one bit. Even after being submerged in salt. Nor has the cheap HF socket set. The pliers are all piles of rust now.

My thoughts are to have the boat tools of a quality/price that I don't mind much loosing one overboard. I've got top-quality tools on land if I need em. The ones that live on the boat are cheapies.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:55   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
My boat tools are all harbor freight (cheap Chinese) tools. Amazingly, the chromed spanners/wrenches haven't corroded one bit. Even after being submerged in salt. Nor has the cheap HF socket set. The pliers are all piles of rust now.

My thoughts are to have the boat tools of a quality/price that I don't mind much loosing one overboard. I've got top-quality tools on land if I need em. The ones that live on the boat are cheapies.
Ya know, when we left the States in 1986 I left my Snap-ons and Bonney and other high quality tools in storage for the very same reasons, and bought crap stuff to replace them on board. 24 years later I'm still using those crap tools and they have not suffered too much from being on board... and I have been forced to use tools that I don't much like whilst the ones that I do like gather dust. They are too heavy to reasonably ship out or carry as luggage on one of our rare trips back to California. Sure wish I'd brought them with me...

If you expect to return after a short cruise, leave the good stuff behind perhaps, but if you think you are a "lifer", bring your friends with you!

Jim
Old 10-11-2014, 11:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As someone who's made a lot of my living with tools. Friends don't let friends use junk tools. You won't have an anchor made from rebar would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06   #10

Yeah... some cheaper sets aren't too bad... some are terrible. Nice to buy a mid range set that comes in a good plastic case for the boat..... even though I have good tools on land. Ratchet wrenches and deep sockets are nice on the boat too. spend the extra money on those .... I've even found some more expensive tools wont work where others will... the spanners wont fit in a tight place because they are made with more meat on them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:49   #11

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

If you expect to return after a short cruise, leave the good stuff behind perhaps, but if you think you are a "lifer", bring your friends with you!

Jim
I completely agree. My 35 year old Catalina 30 isn't ever going to be very far from home. I'm a coastal guy with that boat.

For long-distance cruisers, the "what tools" question would be very different. And I would bring top-notch tools in that case.

And, I've been amazed that the HF ones I picked up have been good. They don't round off bolts, don't bend, don't corrode. Sure, the socket set had two 3/8ths instead of a 3/8 and 7/16....

As to the OP, the part about "under a fiver from CPC" led me to infer that CPC is much like a harbor freight in lands where "wrench" is pronounced "spanner." - And my experience with some cheap tools are they're not too bad. Some are awful. Usually can tell by picking them up and looking.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:58   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Buy an expensive set of spanners and they slip overboard. Buy cheap and they rust. Best option is to sell the boat and buy a caravan...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Welcome to CF, GM. For those who don't frequent YBW, GM is a regular there.

GM, go to Toolstop. There's one in Southampton on the road to the airport, in various other locations, and you can also buy online. They sell various decent quality spanner sets like Clarke or Bahco for 30 to 50 quid a go. The prices are the best I've seen in the UK (in fact you can't do better in the US, as far as I know). www.toolstop.co.uk

You don't want the ultracheap stuff as it will bugger up your fasteners. The steel should be quite a bit harder than what fasteners are made of (so chrome-vanadium or something similar), and they should be machined with reasonable precision. If you want the best (like Snap-On), it will cost you a bunch more, but the better stuff at Toolstop is quite all right.

Good luck!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:14   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Buy an expensive set of spanners and they slip overboard. Buy cheap and they rust. Best option is to sell the boat and buy a caravan...
Now you've done it MarkJ. Spanners---now caravan. Testing the Yanks are ya ?
Old 10-11-2014, 16:21   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Now you've done it MarkJ. Spanners---now caravan. Testing the Yanks are ya ?

Sorry RV.

But a few camels with a hump or two is similar

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote