Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16   #16

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sails

Last fall the owners group asked if there was any interest in a group sail purchase so we might be able to have some bargaining power over quality and cost. End result: we ordered 72 sails that are now being delivered. We got the best price, best cut, best materials from a name brand manufacturer. We will likely do it again next year. This year I got a new spinnaker, next year a new main.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31   #17

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I'm another beleiver in using one of the larger lofts i.e North, Quantum, but only with the caviate that they have a strong local presence. Out local sailmaker measured the boat including the lead angles etc. That makes for a much better sail. We have pretty high tech sails for a cruising boat, cruising laminates, tri radial cut and the main is full battens running on Harken Battcars. Can not say enough about how pleased I am with the shape and performance that this type of sail gives. I have been using these cloths on my sails for over 10 years and they just keep getting better.

On furlers IMHO you can't go wrong with Harken, Furlex, Profurl, Shaeffer. I have had Harken [generation 1] and currently have an older Furlex. both have been great and no issues.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58   #18

Boat: Tartan S&S 48
Thumbs up Re: New Sails

I was also looking for cheaper priced sails than you normally get quoted. I found a great site a month or so back. The prices are very affordable. I contacted them because they had a new roller furling genoa, a perfect fit for my Catalina 320. The sail is brand new and made by Rolly Tasker in their Thailand factory. They have been building cruising sails for a long time.
The freight was reasonable and having checked my situation with duty etc. I ordered the sail through Paypal.
Hey Presto the sail arrived at my door within a week and what a beauty. I have since fitted it to my boat. A good looking sail and well made. I am very happy. If you are in need of a sail for your boat this year check them out The Sails Shop you may be lucky.
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: New Sails

Which sail cloth did they use and what sort of weight? Did you specify this or leave it up to them?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01   #20

Boat: Tartan S&S 48
Thumbs up Re: New Sails

Hi Pete, They used Challenge sail cloth and the weight is 8oz because my old set were that, although they said that they would have specified 7.5 or 8 for the specifications. They are cruising sails and I looking forward to getting another ten years of decent sailing.
Cheers, Rob
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: New Sails

We have just been through the same process. They problem wasn't finding a good sailmaker, I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by them, but working out which sailcloth to choose. Finding the right balance between VFM and quality was a nightmare.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote