Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 20:26   #1

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
New material for cockpit grate?

I need to replace my cockpit grate. After almost 30 years it has seen better days. So I was watching HGTV on this cold rainy Saturday and saw these: LinkDeck interlocking hardwood deck tiles . Teak tiles with a plastic grate under the tile for drainage. I have serious doubts about draining a full cockpit. Thought I would take a hole saw and install round grates over the drains.

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 23:36   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Re: New material for cockpit grate?

I'd recommend the open mesh industrial floor panels in Grp. Very strong and a fit and forget job.
Easy to work with handsaw and gloves, and can be secured with a skirting board around the edges or bolts through clips into the the floor of the cockpit. Lighter too than a wet wooden one and it provides a lash down platform for unusual cargoes.
Old 08-01-2012, 00:38   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I looked at the link and the wood with looks like wire holding it together would be hard to clean under and if you dropped something small it might be a mess trying to recover. You better check the material that the boards are connected with to make sure it won't rust too quickly.

Our boat came with dry-deck in the cockpit and it does a great job and is easy to roll up and clean under it as it collects everything , but it's gray so it still looks good . The down side is when it gets warm and the sun is on it, it's squishie and could be not good when healing, it works great on our catamaran just squishie when it gets around 100 F in our summers but it's not hot on bare feet and we swim and drip dry and the cockpit would be slick but it works good.
I've also seen the ruberised deck that looks like teak and has a nice grip for bare feet even healing. I think it is a glue down.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Those look very much like the one's available from Ikea, which I think are made from acacia wood.

Haven't used them in an ocean environment, but they work really well up here in cold country in Alberta, surviving frost, thaw, snow, rain and sun. They need an oiling once a year.

Tags
cockpit