Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2018, 09:57   #1

New Mainsail

Hello All ! I finally have to replace my main ! I know this has probably been hashed out before, but I considering Rolly Tasker/National sails In Fla. and FarEast in Hong kong. Has anyone good, bad or other to say about either!?

mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:39   #2

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'
Re: New Mainsail

I don't have any experience with that reseller, however I bought a Rolly-Tasker jib for my boat a couple of years ago. The construction quality is quite excellent; I selected their "coastal" quality, which I think would be offshore quality even (as it is) without triple-stitching. 2 caveats, however: triple and quadruple check your measurements, as you are the measurer! Also, the hardware used is rather excessively oversized for my 24ft boat, more appropriate for a 30ft.
I'm also looking at replacing my mainsail, and going to checkout Rolly-Tasker for that.

tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 14:20   #3

Thanks for the come back tenchiki ! I am dealing with their loft in Fla. Dirk has sent me the measurement checklist ! Pretty straight forward ! Rolly wants 1400+-, and FarEast wants 1300! What a difference with other lofts 2200 ++++ They both sent rep photos of their work ! A lot different than 79' !
Old 22-09-2018, 14:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 400

I've bought sails from Dirk in the past and would do so again. The caveat is your skill in measuring, knowing any customizing you may want like a high clew and most importantly what fabric you want to use for your intended use.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:12   #5

Boat: Boatless

Dirk and RT Sails were excellent when I bought from them.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:24   #6

Assuming you are using Dacron, spend some extra for better cloth. Your sail will hold it's shape twice or three times as long.

The Rolly Tasker web site says they even offer Marblehead cloth. It's expensive but if you sail a lot, your cost per year of use is likely lower. My sails are made of Marblehead - five years and the shape looks as perfect as new.

Here's a great page on sailcloth from Mack Sails

https://macksails.com/sail-cloth/
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 17:27   #7

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have purchased sails from Rolly Tasker/National sails In Fla and was very happy with them and the price.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 17:38   #8

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

I purchased a staysail from Farr East, and while it looked good out of the package, I really don't think the 'Sunbrella' they quoted is actually Sunbrella. It started darker than known Sunbrella I purchased elsewhere, and it has faded in just one year. Because of this discrepancy, it makes me wonder about the Challenger sailcloth the sail is made of and it's true origins.

Give Precision Sails a try too. New Sails Custom Designed for Your Sailboat - Precision Sails Ltd

*We work with Precision and they gave us a Yankee headsail last year to film.

Matt
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 17:41   #9

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9

I have heard good results with RT sails, we opted to go with Mack sails for our Bristol 29.9, we are happy with their work.

Fair winds.

<adventuresontheclub.com>
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 18:02   #10

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Another happy Mack Sails customer. Had them make a main, 135% genoa, Asym spinnaker, and a new boom for our P35. They are supplying a new boom for the new to me Sabre 28 Mark I and will be getting a new main from them later. Great service and price. Mack Sails – Sailmakers

There is ersatz Sunbrella out there that fades badly. Don't know how long it lasts but if fading is any indication it's not a cost saving substitution except for the supplier.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 18:10   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: measuring for a head sail is pretty easy, and the penalties for minor errors are small. Mainsails are far harder to "get right" for the amateur measurer, or for a pro for that matter. If you decide to go with any mail order mainsail, do be VERY careful to make the measurements correctly. Things like mast prebend are not that easy to measure, and can make big differences in the final sail shape.

Jim
Old 22-09-2018, 21:08   #12

Hello All thank you for the input ! As I posted I thought the measuring was pretty straight forward ! HelloJim Kate Thanks for that tidbit ! I do not have pre-bend, so I believe I should be alright with how I measured ! I followed instructions on order request as requested by Dirk ! I thought this would be more time consuming/difficult ! Just have to decide between loose foot and attached as the original sail was. The measurements on sailboat data were some what off As my foot is actually 13 ft not, 14+- as they show and the luff was actually pretty close ! This is based on the original sail size ! Again thanks for all the input ! I'll let you all know how this turns out ! regards Mike

Tags
mainsail, sail