Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 11:16   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: New LED's won't work...

Just to point out, an LED is always, inherently, polarity sensitive. Those LED assemblies that say they are not polarity sensitive are using a bridge diode circuit to address the problem, and in doing so, they will consume slightly more power, and require something like an extra half volt from the power source.

Not a HUGE issue, but "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch". They're convenient, but not necessary for most users and most installations. In any standard "center hot" socket they're not needed, but when things haven't been wired up conventionally, they're a quick fix.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:31   #17

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

Superbrightled.com and for nav lights Dr. LED at Wm. Red nav light HAS TOO BE RED Other wise it be pink the CG does not likeeace
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 13:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by partingclouds View Post
None of the new bulbs work, and I'd appreciate your ideas to help me get them lit up. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

With the info provided all I can ask is: Did you remember to put the switch ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 13:54   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
As an aside for those who care.... if you have shorepower make certain you have connected the ground to the 12v bus not the shore power bus. Ask me how I know...
This would no be an issue if your DC negative were bonded to the AC ground as it should be.
Old 16-06-2017, 21:48   #20

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
Hey Hafa:
What LED bulbs are you using and where did you get them for so cheap?
Many of our fixtures use the G4 mount, so we bought these. For the fixtures that use the BA15D mount, we got these. This strategy allows us to use a single bulb type (G4) for all fixtures. Adapters for the G4 to just about any 12V socket are available, and there are hundreds of sellers selling the G4 bulbs; simply look for the best price per bulb.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 07:32   #21

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I used Cjinese Led strips, blocks of LEDs and M16 lights to make all the lights on my I30. They look good, have dimmers, and were all very cheap...just a little time to make them. I even have back-ups for them as they are so cheap...AND, be careful...all thos big bucks lights...where do you think they come from...Yea, China! Why pay the middleman...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 07:55   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi, I used Cjinese Led strips, blocks of LEDs and M16 lights to make all the lights on my I30. They look good, have dimmers, and were all very cheap...just a little time to make them. I even have back-ups for them as they are so cheap...AND, be careful...all thos big bucks lights...where do you think they come from...Yea, China! Why pay the middleman...
I'm in complete agreement. Much of the early hype about specific "marine" LED's was just that ... hype, as an excuse for ridiculous markups.
Old 17-06-2017, 11:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Many of our fixtures use the G4 mount, so we bought these. For the fixtures that use the BA15D mount, we got these. This strategy allows us to use a single bulb type (G4) for all fixtures. Adapters for the G4 to just about any 12V socket are available, and there are hundreds of sellers selling the G4 bulbs; simply look for the best price per bulb.
We have gone this route as well. In addition we used the strip of leds in the engine room. qty 2, 4' long strips (adhesive backed) attached to 1" wide pvc furling. It lights up the engine room light daylight. I have a walk in engine room (well crawl in)

I had the chance to compare the Kawell 90 degree 18 watt flood lights to the 18 w floods at the local marine store. They look the same and when I ran them at various voltages they each drew the same current more or less. This tells me that they have the same circuitry inside.

The "name brand" floods were $90 each. The Kwell were $18 for 2.

The owner asserted that the name brand units were better than the Kawell units. But from observation and the current draw test they appear to be the same units.

https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-Light-...01J12TTM2?th=1

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 13:14   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm in complete agreement. Much of the early hype about specific "marine" LED's was just that ... hype, as an excuse for ridiculous markups.
Anything with "marine" in the name is likely a rip off, but there is a qualitative difference in LEDs. Self regulated are generally better quality and tend to live much longer...just dont buy from a Marine shop. You can find from many other sources.

Caveat: my experience with Marine Beam has been quite good, but of course not the least cost option.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 13:26   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Anything with "marine" in the name is likely a rip off, but there is a qualitative difference in LEDs. Self regulated are generally better quality and tend to live much longer...just dont buy from a Marine shop. You can find from many other sources.

Caveat: my experience with Marine Beam has been quite good, but of course not the least cost option.
I dunno, almost ten years with the cheapest household (Ikea) ones available at the time and they are still going. I'll stick with the cheapies.
Old 17-06-2017, 16:00   #26

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Yep, Light Emitting DIODES means current only flows in ONE direction. If none work, check the polarity of the whole system.
Right. With the old bulbs polarity didn't matter and often the lights are wired wrong from the factory. Sometimes they even used the same color wire for both legs so even the installer didn't know which was which. It just didn't matter with incandescent bulbs.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 16:04   #27

Boat: Peterson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Right. With the old bulbs polarity didn't matter and often the lights are wired wrong from the factory. Sometimes they even used the same color wire for both legs so even the installer didn't know which was which. It just didn't matter with incandescent bulbs.
At least you can flip the wires at either end.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 19:02   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I dunno, almost ten years with the cheapest household (Ikea) ones available at the time and they are still going. I'll stick with the cheapies.
All cheapies may not be created equal. I bought some cheapies a few years back that were very short lived.

Do the Ikeas have any form of regulation (built in or external)?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 12:43   #29

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Make sure you did not inadvertently by 24 V bulbs. They will look the same as 12 V bulbs.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote