Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 08:18   #1

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
New Found Metals: TRI-Matrix Ports

I am replacing all of my old and worn standard ports with opening ports as part of my full boat restoration. I've settled on New Found Metals through many testimonials and references. However, most people have recommended going with their stainless or bronze ports. Unfortunately, those are a bit out of my price range, but they offer an less expensive alternative in the TRI-Matrix ports:

New Found Metals - The New Self-Sealing TriMatrix

Does anyone have any experience with these ports or wish to offer testimonial (good or bad) about these? They appear to be more solid than any other brand of non-metal ports, and the price is right. I like that they have a gasket as part of the unit. If there is an overwhelming "NO! Don't get these!" I will probably drop the cash for stainless ports.

For reference, I am rebuilding a Downeaster 38 to go cruising in the tropics. Will be doing plenty of off-shore passages, but do not plan on high latitude cruising.

On a side note about purchasing ports from NFM, is there a potential savings by purchasing them all (I will need 6) at a boat show? Has anyone experienced getting a discount with NFM before?

I need to make the decision soon as I will be cutting out the templates while I am in the process of making dust and mess in the cabin.

Thanks!
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 19:00   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: New Found Metals: TRI-Matrix Ports

I haven't seen NFM give any discounts at boat shows that would be considered interesting. I believe NFM sells or rents templates for their ports, although I would be tempted to wait on making the cuts until you actually have the ports in hand. I know Wally Bryant on Stella Blue installed the composite ports with good success. Here is his write up on the installation: Replace Leaking Boat Windows with Opening Ports

Good luck with the project
Old 29-09-2011, 05:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
I haven't seen NFM give any discounts at boat shows that would be considered interesting. I believe NFM sells or rents templates for their ports, although I would be tempted to wait on making the cuts until you actually have the ports in hand. I know Wally Bryant on Stella Blue installed the composite ports with good success. Here is his write up on the installation: Replace Leaking Boat Windows with Opening Ports

Good luck with the project
thanks a bunch!
Old 14-11-2011, 15:06   #4

Boat: Seapiper 35

I replaced all my portholes on my Passport 40 with NFM SS portholes. They are very well made and worth the price. They usually have a boat show special. I would highly recommend their product.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:12   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Let us know how it turns out. We've been considering NFM for port replacement also.
Old 14-11-2011, 16:36   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport

I purchased our new ports from New Found Metals at the Miami Boat Show at a good price for our Cheoy Lee Clipper 36. First port took me 2 1/2 days to replace but by the time I got to the last port it only took 4 hours. Learning curve got much better. Their patterns that they rent are a great help. We have had them installed now for two years and really love them. No more leaks. E-mail me at clsailor@sprynet.com if you are going to do the job yourself and I will give you some of the helpfull hints that I found in this job.
Old 14-11-2011, 16:40   #7

Boat: Seapiper 35

Check them out at Passport 40 – S/V Grendel | Passport 40 – Sailing Vessel Grendel
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 06:10   #8

Thanks everyone. I am currently set on the Tri Matrix ports, but I think the thickness of the cabinside may be too much for them. If that is the case, I will have to go with the SS ports. Either way, I am pretty set on NFM and will be ordering from them. If I push the project off till I see them at the boat show, I will try buying there.
Old 15-11-2011, 07:05   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

While I can't comment on the specific Tri Matrix ports, I have installed NFM SS round ports in my steel pilothouse cutter:

The world encompassed: Bright and butyl full

I am very pleased with the quality, the price and the service I received in the form of verifying some questions I had over the phone. The plastic rings are going to be buried behind insulation, and are simply spacers to accommodate the stand-off required by a thicker fibreglass hull.

One thing I found slightly odd was that NFM, an American firm, is apparently all metric. I could not find the 6 mm SS bolts in the right length I needed without going to a suburban contractor outlet specializing in a full range of fasteners. It wasn't more than a slight inconvenience for me (and I found that the place had silicon bronze screws I'll need later on), but I don't know if Americans can easily source metric bolts as easily as I could in Toronto.

I bedded with butyl and 4200. No leaks so far, and the screens are great.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 15:39   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We installed the SS ports, The Trawler Beach House: 15 Steps To New Ports On The Boat and I agree that the holes should not be cut until the ports are in hand and each one cut to fit. We are extremely pleased with the ports and the price, even without a discount was better than we could find any place else for the same quality. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 18:25   #11

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
While I can't comment on the specific Tri Matrix ports, I have installed NFM SS round ports in my steel pilothouse cutter:

The world encompassed: Bright and butyl full

I am very pleased with the quality, the price and the service I received in the form of verifying some questions I had over the phone. The plastic rings are going to be buried behind insulation, and are simply spacers to accommodate the stand-off required by a thicker fibreglass hull.

One thing I found slightly odd was that NFM, an American firm, is apparently all metric. I could not find the 6 mm SS bolts in the right length I needed without going to a suburban contractor outlet specializing in a full range of fasteners. It wasn't more than a slight inconvenience for me (and I found that the place had silicon bronze screws I'll need later on), but I don't know if Americans can easily source metric bolts as easily as I could in Toronto.

I bedded with butyl and 4200. No leaks so far, and the screens are great.
The reason for metrics is because their stainless ports are all manufactured in mainland China.
Old 11-03-2012, 23:57   #12

Boat: Outbound 46

I've had Tri-Matrix ports on my Endeavour 35 for more than 5 years. I installed 4 of the 5 x 12, and 8 of the 7 x 15 ports. I'm experiencing a stickyness and shrinking of the rubber gasket the seals the plastic window to the movable frame. Some are now leaking around this gasket.

My question is this condition due to the cleaner being used, Plexus; the sun, this is Seattle; or a poor quality of rubber used as the gasket?

Anyone experiencing similar?

Jim
JMadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadden View Post
I've had Tri-Matrix ports on my Endeavour 35 for more than 5 years. I installed 4 of the 5 x 12, and 8 of the 7 x 15 ports. I'm experiencing a stickyness and shrinking of the rubber gasket the seals the plastic window to the movable frame. Some are now leaking around this gasket.

My question is this condition due to the cleaner being used, Plexus; the sun, this is Seattle; or a poor quality of rubber used as the gasket?

Anyone experiencing similar?

Jim
I know this thread is a bit old, but I am looking at these ports as well. I have never heard anything bad about them, except for some one that they were too big for his side decks. Has anyone else had this happen?
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:13   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have the SS ports, installed about 5 years ago. Two leaked for the first time in some rough conditions. It's nice to now that a very simple adjustment of the dogs will tighten them up. They have performed as I hoped, and exceeded my expectations.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 20:39   #15

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

New found metals ports are Alibaba chinese made cheap junk marked up 600%. And yes they are built like crap; first thing you notice is the box says made in China. I can only assume nfm never inspects them before sending them out.( Because 2 of 8 of mine were defective) Next think you notice is the sockets for the thru fastners are haphazardly brazed on with cracks pits and holes. Next thing you'll notice is the spigot is seated in a race with epoxy(? )So the UV will destroy that ( which is exactly why I had to replace my old new found metals bronze ports. This bond failed. And destroyed my interior costing thousands) you can see the new ones have 4 or 6 tiny tack welds to hold it in place.. not for quality but to hold it so the epoxy can set.( Other QUALITY ports are brazed all the way around so no worries there) And next you notice the gaskets are hastily trimmed and ripped and chewed no pride no quality...I just spent like 3k on bronze ports from them again and it's day 2 I allready am kicking myself for buying them!!!!! What crap I got the biggest ones they have they were like 600$ and 2 of them the gasket isn't even attatched to the window..I called and asked for a replacement of the 2 and was told they're not defective. After back and forth with them I'm now being told to add silicone and that still they're not defective. (Silicone will not stick to silicone, so really the gasket needs to be removed old silicone removed and gasket replaced) I could add bubble gum and they'd seal for some time but that's not what brand new 600$+ ports are supposed to do. And after spending thousands ports that are total crap you'd think they'd do the right thing and replace? Nope! I'm being told they're not defective. So..
Do youself a favor don't buy a thing from
new found metals.
If you want the cheap Chinese junk ports they sell go to alibabe they're 100$
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote