Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 12:13   #16

Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: New Found Metal port windows failing

we replaced 8 of the off the shelf size and had them make us 2 much larger custom windows and they were indeed made robustly. The larger windows were much stronger than the original windows in the boat and while the installation videos were not Hollywood quality, we followed them to the letter and have had no leaking or seeping or corrosion.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01   #17
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

As readers of this thread would know, I decided the right thing to do was to email New Found so that they could have a chance to respond to the OP. Apparently they unsuccessfully tried to post, and answered my email:

Quote:
Hi...

I tried to post on the forum after seeing your email this morning but I was bounced to another site requesting I download Chrome. I already have Chrome so I don't know what the problem is. I just wanted to reply and the site makes it time consuming and difficult.

I see from the photo that this is a port that is at least 15 years old. We stopped using a machine screw for the post to attach the dogs a long time back. We now thread the post into the frame itself. We have had a few issues with this old configuration (water ingress causes corrosion) and we have been able to change out to a new post successfully by clean drilling the post hole with a 1/2" bit and then tapping with 14mmx1. Then using red loctite we screw in the new dog post for these older ports.

By the way, stainless steel needs breaking oxygen or a complete seal, to avoid corrosion. Voids where there is no bedding (the port may not be leaking) will collect condensation and cause corrosion. (see our video guide for correct installation. You can make this change without removing the port. Finally, if the owner bothers to give us a call he/she will find that problems can be solved. If you have a problem and really want it solved then why not call us. We actually answer the phone.

The person describing water getting past our gasket just did not bother to learn how to properly adjust the port hinges and dogs. All adjustment starts with the 17mm nut at the upper hinge. Upper hinge adjustment only has to be done once but if you just try to tighten the dogs you will not get a good seal.

I don't know what the other fellow is talking about regarding our bronze ports. They will form a hard oxide but they are not going to corrode away by any means.

You could post this answer if you like.

Richard,
NFM, Inc
Thanks to NFM for taking the time to clear things up with specific information and a reasonable explanation. I do hope we all realize by now that there are those barstool experts who find it all too easy to pile on with simplistic and data free criticisms.

For example consider the poster who damned the product as "poorly engineered", but without explanation. BTW I have no relationship whatever with this company, and don't have a dog in this fight. I do believe though in fairness and the need for detail, whether pro or con.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:56   #18

Boat: Valiant 40
New Found Metal port windows failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Glad I saw this post. I thought NFM portholes were the gold standard. They sure are purdy but I guess the devil is in the details.

Having posted critically above, I should add that if I had to do it all over again, I’d still go with the NFM portlights I installed. No product is perfect and while I may disagree with some aspects of the design they are still a quality portlight and have met my needs admirably.

I’ll add an explanation of what aspects I think is poorly engineered along with some other observations.

1) the hinges are mounted on threaded studs that screw into the frame. The purpose of this design is to allow for adjustment of the tightness of the fit/gasket at the top of the portlights. The studs wobble in their sockets. It’s only a matter of time before opening and closing the portlights wears the socket and/or stud.

2) the hinges use compression/friction to stay open, and rely on plastic washers between the hinges and the cast portlight. These are non standard sized washers, of varying thickness to accommodate manufacturing variations. NFM will send you a bag of these if you need them and it’s trial and error to find ones that fit. Absent those, you need to fabricate your own.

3) the hinges require constant adjustment (tightening) to effectively hold bigger portlights open.

4) NFM will send you a drilling template for a refundable $50 deposit. Due to manufacturing variations the likelihood of the template lining up with the holes on your portlight flange are generally low and vary from piece to piece.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:41   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
As readers of this thread would know, I decided the right thing to do was to email New Found so that they could have a chance to respond to the OP. Apparently they unsuccessfully tried to post, and answered my email:

Thanks to NFM for taking the time to clear things up with specific information and a reasonable explanation. I do hope we all realize by now that there are those barstool experts who find it all too easy to pile on with simplistic and data free criticisms.

For example consider the poster who damned the product as "poorly engineered", but without explanation. BTW I have no relationship whatever with this company, and don't have a dog in this fight. I do believe though in fairness and the need for detail, whether pro or con.
I stand by my post relating the corrosion problem with the NFM bronze portholes that a friend experienced. The ports, installed around 20 years go, have turned a copper color & have corroded on the exteriors. I forwarded the NFM response to my friend with the problem & will let him respond further if he so chooses.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:35   #20

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

New found metals ports are Alibaba chinese made cheap junk marked up 600%. And yes they are built like crap; first thing you notice is the box says made in China. I can only assume nfm never inspects them before sending them out.( Because 2 of 8 of mine were defective) Next think you notice is the sockets for the thru fastners are haphazardly brazed on with cracks pits and holes. Next thing you'll notice is the spigot is seated in a race with epoxy(? )So the UV will destroy that ( which is exactly why I had to replace my old new found metals bronze ports. This bond failed. And destroyed my interior costing thousands) you can see the new ones have 4 or 6 tiny tack welds to hold it in place.. not for quality but to hold it so the epoxy can set.( Other QUALITY ports are brazed all the way around so no worries there) And next you notice the gaskets are hastily trimmed and ripped and chewed no pride no quality...I just spent like 3k on bronze ports from them AGAIN and it's day 2 I allready am kicking myself for buying them!!!!! What crap I got the biggest ones they have they were like 600$ and 2 of them the gasket isn't even attatched to the window..I called and asked for a replacement of the 2 and was told they're not defective. After back and forth with them I'm now being told to add silicone and that still they're not defective. (Silicone will not stick to silicone, so really the gasket needs to be removed old silicone removed and gasket replaced) I could add bubble gum and they'd seal for some time but that's not what brand new 600$+ ports are supposed to do. And after spending thousands ports that are total crap you'd think they'd do the right thing and replace? Nope! I'm being told they're not defective. So..
Do youself a favor don't buy a thing from
new found metals.
If you want the cheap Chinese junk ports they that sell go to alibaba they're 100$ give or take.I feel like I've been robbed.
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 22:24   #21

Boat: O'Day 40

I feel your pain. I installed 10 of them.
A pain in the butt because the drilling template didn't match the windows.
AND the windows didn't match each other, even the same sized ones.
AND the studs you adjust the hinges with vary tremendously and some are so sloppy you think they might fall out.
BUT....after 5 years they look and work great!
20/20 hindsight, I'd try and get them direct from China next time and maybe get a couple of extras in case some are too far out of wack. One of mine did ship direct from China and it came pretty quickly. Before that I thought they imported them and reworked them for quality control. Something like Sailrite do with their sewing machines.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:25   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Deleted
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind