Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 00:57   #1

Boat: John Pugh 40Ft - Charisma
New Engine

Hi team,

I am planing to re-power our boat. Currently an Isuzu 50HP that is dead, dead, dead. Have a quote from Yanmar (Model 4JH4AE - 55HP) and also one from Diecon for a 1 yr guarateed Nissan marine converted reconditioned engine (again 55HP). The Diecon is about $4K less expensive. I am personally leaning to the Yanmar but am interested in other members experiences. I am wanting to get it done soon - but am not wedded to either option...advice and experiences from others greatfully accepted.
jackdaniels9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57   #2

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
Jack,
I just finished repowering from a Perkins 4108 to the Yanmar 4JH4AE. The biggest pain was the exhaust system. The Yanmar requires a 3 inch system and I had a 2.5. It doesnt sound like much difference, but I have a center cockpit boat and had to run the new system about 19 feet. Under bunks, bulkheads etc. The aqualift was much larger than the old system and I had to modify the housing to fit it into the boat.

The engine itself was pretty simple once the new engine beds were glassed in. The engine runs great (so far, I am still in the break in with only 4 hours). It started up first try and hasnt given my any problems.

I found the info at this site right on the mark and is a good review before I started.
Jesse Brett Marine Services Offers the Best Marine Electrical Service, Mechanical Troubleshooting, Computer Systems, Repair, Maintenance and Installation of Marine Systems in San Diego and Chula Vista.

One other thing, If you can get to a boat show and talk to the Mastry folks, You will save lots of $$. I got mine for almost 5K less than any dealer would sell the engine for at the Miami show. Good Luck.
Steve
sailcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We went from a perkins to a westerbeke 64A, so far it has performed very well. We only have 350 hrs on her so it is still very new. However, it brought us from CT to FL on the ICW during the winter with no issues.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 14:40   #4

Boat: John Pugh 40Ft - Charisma
Thanks Steve, exhaust is one of the issues but thankfully it needs doing anyhow. So the money pit just gets deeper.
jackdaniels9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 15:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Fuel system, engine mounts, raw water strainer, gearbox...

Having put a new engine into Boracay I can only endorse what others have said, particularly with regard to the exhaust and waterlift muffler. It's only money and time.

You may also have to put in new engine mounts and raw water strainer. This would be a good time to do any necessary upgrading of the fuel system/tanks.

There are so many reports of gearbox problems that I'd suggest going with the largest practicable gearbox. I went with the ZF63 for only a few hundred dollars more. Massive overkill but hopefully it will never break.

I went with the Deere 4045 (Good local support) as Yanmar wanted their own people to do the installation. It's bigger and heavier but the extra power is nice.

All other things being equal I'd suggest going with the engine with the largest cubic capacity.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 17:54   #6

Boat: Young Sun 43 Ketch - Scotts' Mist
We repowered with the Yanmar 4JH3E. The old Perkins 4 cyl was leaking oil from everywhere and had to go. I would echo Steve's point about the exhaust. We had to upsize the whole run which was expensive for a centre cockpit boat. However, we have 400 hours on the engine now and it has never missed a beat.

We did have quite a bit of fun installing it though. The old perkins was a much wider engine and the engine bearers were too wide for the slimmer Yanmar. We mounted steel skis on the existing bearers and bolted the Yanmar mounts to the steel skis.

Noticed you're on the Gold Coast. I moved to Brizzy 4 months ago from Scotland. What a beautiful part of the world you live in!
iain_scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, nissan, repower, yanmar