Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: new chandlery- what would you buy?

Also:

- run an ssb / vhf net
- hoseclamps
- sand paper
- lightbulbs
- disposable gloves (by the box)
- 3m mask organic filter elements (not essential, but you'll sell them)
- popsicle sticks
- stainless steel tubing / teak / pine. not large quantities, but enough for people to fashion new spreaders, replace banged up rails, etc.

Just be really accessible. Let people know that they you can take orders via email with a credit card number before someone even arrives and cut down on the shipping time. I had a friend who was halfway across the Pacific and already had broken a dozen things and knew exactly what he wanted. If there was a way that he or I via ssb or email could have ordered the parts we would have in a jiffy. Sort of fits in with the ssb net.

Old 24-02-2012, 14:03   #17

Boat: Vagabond 42
Just curious where?

Between Budget Marine and Island Water World I can find anything that I need in St Martin. Le Ship in St Barts might be a good place for you to visit. It is a good small chandlery but there are always a lot of things I need that they do not carry. One big problem in the Caribbean is that you will need to cater to two markets, American products and stuff in inches and European products and stuff that is metric.

Old 24-02-2012, 14:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Where you set up is a valid question.

I like the idea of being an expiditer. Develop relationships with the airlines that service you location and the local customs. As you bring things in you will get a good feel for what you need on the shelf. Most cruisers are not looking to do large projects but a lot need replacement parts as mentioned earlier.

If you are on the same island as a Budget or Island Water World, Don't unpack your tent.

Wm. den Ouden started a small company servicing the builders and yards in Holland from the back of his car. Vetus is now a large world wide company. The west Marine saga is also similar.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 14:46   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

stock what is not obtainable elsewhere-- pressure line hoses for fuel, water, oil, filters in more sizes than most chandleries, those oil absorbing boat diapers and lots of oil......anticipate perkins..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:33   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

1.Fresh water pumps
2. Macerators
3. Fuel Filters
4. Oil
5. Bottom Paint
6. Line
7. Anchors
8. Chain
9. A/C's
10. Reefers
11. zincs
12. props
13. fenders
14. Life Rafts
15. Tenders
16. Outboards
17. Fuel additives
18. Foulies
19. nuts and bolts
20. Rigging supplies
21. Wax, soap etc
Old 25-02-2012, 05:02   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
And DOWNLOAD every Shop/Maintenance/Parts manual you can find.
Don't just save links (which often go dead). You will find 100's of links to manuals here on the CF.
Some (there's many more) are here ➥ Online SHOP MANUALS
That's a great idea! Although many people will be online (or could be), not so many would have a printer onboard - and with some things paper still works better . Also gives you a foot in the door to sell some solutions - whether parts or personnel.

I would also get into the s/h market, not take every bit of rubbish but for those needing to do a deal could well be an opportunity to do a steal . Plus if folks are simply upgrading (esp. electronics) and e-bay etc out of reach or simply too much of a PITA - could also be part of deal wrapped in with you supplying the new gear (and make money from both ends ). You sell from the shop and on E-bay etc.

Personally I would also look into the providing "home comforts" to both singlehanders and those looking to go "off piste" whilst on holiday on a what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas basis (and away from others onboard )....not hands on by yourself (well, not unless.......) but using local personnel, whether onboard or onshore. Obviously being "foreign" means that folks are likely looking for a bargain - but fundamentally folks still thinking in "real" money, so plenty of scope to price up for benefit of both the personnel and yourself. Small scale means dealing with the self-employed (rather than those with "managers"), too big can be a bit like herding cats - and also want to avoid treading on anyone's toes. Anyway, just an idea .....probably would be useful to have some knowledge of how the game works, including in your locale - not neccesarily "hands on", but plusses and minuses to that approach .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 05:34   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New Chandlery - What Would You Buy ?

- quality aftermarket fuel, oil filters,
- engine oil, transmission oil,
- assorted sikaflex/3M,
- epoxy and glass,
- sheets of plywood, alloy sheets,
- bolts, nuts, washers,
- grease,
- wires, fuses, crimpers, battery terminals,
- rubber dinghy repair kits,
- dielectric compounds,
- tools (wrenches, screw-drivers etc.),
- cordage,
- charts, polarized shades, 60+ UV block,
- hats, crocks,

b.
Old 25-02-2012, 06:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Also:

- run an ssb / vhf net
- hoseclamps
- sand paper
- lightbulbs
- disposable gloves (by the box)
- 3m mask organic filter elements (not essential, but you'll sell them)
- popsicle sticks
- stainless steel tubing / teak / pine. not large quantities, but enough for people to fashion new spreaders, replace banged up rails, etc.

Just be really accessible. Let people know that they you can take orders via email with a credit card number before someone even arrives and cut down on the shipping time. I had a friend who was halfway across the Pacific and already had broken a dozen things and knew exactly what he wanted. If there was a way that he or I via ssb or email could have ordered the parts we would have in a jiffy. Sort of fits in with the ssb net.
great idea, thanks a lot. would be great to order in advance and just come and pick parts up, been there myself and waiting for parts to arrive can be a pain in the butt someplaces.will look into that. thanks to all for the input, you see we just starting getting contacts with some suppliers and i just want to keep the basics in stock as it all costs a fortune. the basic supplies are easy to stock,oil,filters etc, looking into a bit of food and cold beers as well to cover that side. not easy to get a permit though for that, as marine parts - definition - not includes cold beers and pretty girls, but sure we can get that sorted.....
Old 25-02-2012, 06:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That's a great idea! Although many people will be online (or could be), not so many would have a printer onboard - and with some things paper still works better . Also gives you a foot in the door to sell some solutions - whether parts or personnel.

I would also get into the s/h market, not take every bit of rubbish but for those needing to do a deal could well be an opportunity to do a steal . Plus if folks are simply upgrading (esp. electronics) and e-bay etc out of reach or simply too much of a PITA - could also be part of deal wrapped in with you supplying the new gear (and make money from both ends ). You sell from the shop and on E-bay etc.

Personally I would also look into the providing "home comforts" to both singlehanders and those looking to go "off piste" whilst on holiday on a what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas basis (and away from others onboard )....not hands on by yourself (well, not unless.......) but using local personnel, whether onboard or onshore. Obviously being "foreign" means that folks are likely looking for a bargain - but fundamentally folks still thinking in "real" money, so plenty of scope to price up for benefit of both the personnel and yourself. Small scale means dealing with the self-employed (rather than those with "managers"), too big can be a bit like herding cats - and also want to avoid treading on anyone's toes. Anyway, just an idea .....probably would be useful to have some knowledge of how the game works, including in your locale - not neccesarily "hands on", but plusses and minuses to that approach .
lol, not sure about the definition of home comforts....
but i got your point.....thanks for the idea....mmmhhhmmmm
Old 25-02-2012, 11:12   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there is a place named casa maru here in la cruz de huanacaxtle for cruisers'comforts--is a good refuge for us...but isnt a chandlery.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:09   #26

how about scuba services? like hull cleaning,new zinc,inspection.... i guess not every boater likes underwaterwork or scrubbing hulls?
Old 25-02-2012, 14:36   #27

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Reality is the best is probably DIY & maintenance stuff and not so much finished articles.

On the glass & epoxy side, I have done a lot of epoxy build & repair. At this point, I much prefer the mterials from US Composites Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. 635 slow epoxy, glass, fillers, graphite. The price is about 1/3 of West and my results are great.

Racor filters
Gerry cans
screws & other fasteners
Bilge pumps
sail repair materials
Line
Anchor Chain Swivels shackles. Chain is difficult because of the varieties.
Misc Bimini hardware; SS tubing in various sizes.
Marine grade wire
fuel hose; water hose, exhaust hose
hose clamps
flairs & other safety expendables.
material sheets: ply, plastic, SS, Bronze
paint: brushes, solvent, sandpaper, gloves,
adhesives, calks etc.
Old 25-02-2012, 14:40   #28

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I found that even routine Yanmar parts werent always easy to find. While you might not want to stock more than routine stuff like filters, etc., having a quick way to import Yanmar parts would be a great service to the majority of sailors who have Yanmar engines.

Tags
chandlery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: