Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 10:39   #1

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Need Some Guidance and Input: Repaint or Gelcoat ?

Ok.. I need some access the braintrust here at CF....

Our '78 Columbia 8.3 is getting a little bit oxidized on the hull sides and not holding a shine and he gelcoat is starting to get a bit flat.

Overall the boat is now in excellent condition elsewhere so I want to treat her right.

You can view pictures at the classified we have for her at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oop-63623.html

Now the decks were awlgripped in 2004 and are in really good shape and her bottom was completely done in January of this year.

So what I am thinking is to get the boat painted from the rails to the waterline... But what should I have done? paint? awlgrip? new gelcoat? something else?

I could use some input please.. and thanks in advance.

In case it matters the boat is in the water in Palm Beach...
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 11:01   #2

Re: Need some guidance and input: repaint or gelcoat?

I would say awlgrip or that type of paint. Use the same color you have. Seen boats painted a darker color, then they get scraped and look worse than the original faded gel coat. It's alot of money to put in that old a boat though. but as you said...if you love her..treat her right! I assume you've tried having a pro rub it out? Some of those old boats had pretty thick gel coat....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 11:19   #3

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
You may want to look at a product called Brilliance by Omega Coatings. I feel it is superior to awlgrip.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 11:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post
You may want to look at a product called Brilliance by Omega Coatings. I feel it is superior to awlgrip.
Can you tell me why you think it's better?
Old 14-07-2011, 12:10   #5

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"

A couple of reasons:

It cures differently than awlgrip, in that you can buff slight imperfections out and still have a shine left. Which means that you can repair and repaint with less chance of a dull area where old meets new.

It has an 8 hour pot life in a spray gun, (never tested it that long, but I don't doubt them)

It is used on both MegaYachts and Commercial aircraft. If it can stand up to the abuse of going between sea level and 35,000 feet and the associated temp and humidity extremes repeatedly means it should perform extremely well at sea level, regardless of the climate.

I have seen a couple of boats that were sprayed over 5 years ago, and the coating still looks new.

I have no commercial interest or association with the manufacturer, other than we use it at the shop.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:16   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post
A couple of reasons:

It cures differently than awlgrip, in that you can buff slight imperfections out and still have a shine left. Which means that you can repair and repaint with less chance of a dull area where old meets new.

It has an 8 hour pot life in a spray gun, (never tested it that long, but I don't doubt them)

It is used on both MegaYachts and Commercial aircraft. If it can stand up to the abuse of going between sea level and 35,000 feet and the associated temp and humidity extremes repeatedly means it should perform extremely well at sea level, regardless of the climate.

I have seen a couple of boats that were sprayed over 5 years ago, and the coating still looks new.

I have no commercial interest or association with the manufacturer, other than we use it at the shop.
Brilliance is kinda so-so in my opinion. If you want an LPU that is easier to do a repair on later go with Awlcraft. The reasons that make Awlgrip such a difficult product to work with are the same ones that make it such a great product though.
Have you tried to wet sand and buff? I would guide coat the whole topsides and then sand it out with 800 grit film discs on a DA. Then polish with 3M super duty. It'll probably come out looking brand new. Try to 800 wet sand a spot about 1'x1' by hand and then polish it with super duty for a test. Wet sand very thoroughly, the DA will do a much better job than your hand sanding. Sand till you get the original color back. Anyone can do this job without worrying about blowing through if you guide coat. A few hundred in materials and a weekends work will make it like new. If you really want it to look great because you're selling it paste wax it twice by hand afterward, no machine. It'll glow...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Need Some Guidance and Input: Repaint or Gelcoat ?

If you're happy with Awlgrip on your deck, you will be happy with it on your hull. If you want something easier to apply by brush, look at Interlux Perfection. It flows out a little better making it easier to brush or roll and tip. Awlcraft is not a LPU it is an acrylic and probably a little less scratch resistant than Awlgrip but still a very good paint. I second Minaret, try buffing it first.
Old 14-07-2011, 17:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I agree with not re-gelcoating.

Awlgrip has the nicest finish but comes out best when professionally sprayed. Repainting using the same colors makes sense if you like the original color and you have to keep in mind that the Awlgrip primer coat will not be the original color....unless your boat was gelcoated Pure White and there are a million shades of white. Scratches to Awlgrip can be taped off and brushed over. It's not all that noticeable if the paint goes on thin and you remove the tape while the paint is still tacky so the edges lay down.

I do brush-on Awlgrip repairs on my boat periodically and all it takes is some practice to get the hang of it and the right weather.

I think it is worth it to get the more durable paint that does not chalk in a few years.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 17:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

One more for Awlgrip if spraying, Perfection if rolling/tipping.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 17:50   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I agree with not re-gelcoating.

Awlgrip has the nicest finish but comes out best when professionally sprayed. Repainting using the same colors makes sense if you like the original color and you have to keep in mind that the Awlgrip primer coat will not be the original color....unless your boat was gelcoated Pure White and there are a million shades of white. Scratches to Awlgrip can be taped off and brushed over. It's not all that noticeable if the paint goes on thin and you remove the tape while the paint is still tacky so the edges lay down.

I do brush-on Awlgrip repairs on my boat periodically and all it takes is some practice to get the hang of it and the right weather.

I think it is worth it to get the more durable paint that does not chalk in a few years.
You can do perfect blends on Awlgrip with some practice. Prep with 1000 grit wet, finish with 2000, sand out to at least 400 on the repair/primer itself, and polish with perfect-it and a foam buffer. You generally only have one shot to blend on an area, if you have to try again you'll start to blow through because it's so thin. Be careful sanding radius'...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 08:50   #11

Thanks all.... I am already getting some quotes on the tip and roll awlgrip job... it's not quite as painful as I was expecting.... not cheap though.

In the end it is worth it for this particular sailboat, she's one of the finest 8.3's out there now..
Old 03-08-2011, 16:13   #12

Thanks for all the input....

Went with Awlgrip applied by Roll and Tip. First coat is on and it's looking good so far.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50   #13

Thanks for all the help... Here are some shots of the completed Roll and Tip.

Special thanks to Gregg Amaral for doing a top quality job at a very affordable rate!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowstbd.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	30387   Click image for larger version

Name:	bowport.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	30388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowtostern.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	30389   Click image for larger version

Name:	stdbaft.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	30390  

Old 11-08-2011, 08:41   #14

Wow, that looks sweeeeet!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, maintenance, paint, roll and tip, tip and roll