Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2006, 13:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Need Puppy-Proof Lifeline Netting (Cheap)

I have a new puppy (5mths) that is starting to come on trips with us. She has overcome the fear of the cabin and would like to walk the boat. Rather than go through the trauma of POB (puppy over board) drills, I would like to put netting on the lifelines.

Ok, so I also am cheep, and cannot see spending 6.00 ft for lifelines. (60' starts to add up!)

I know I am not the first with this problem, so what have you come up with?

Thanks in advance!
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 17:59   #2

Boat: Tayana 48
I *believe* someone once wrote that netting can be had much cheaper, and in various colors, from sporting-goods outlets that (sell or manufacture, I forget) netting for soccer goals and similar uses.
I have not looked into this, though I'm now in a position where I need to. Please let us know what you end up doing.
HIH,
John
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28   #3

If you have some sort of fishermans wharf nearby you can probably get as much old fishing net as you can carry for free.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 09:15   #4

I found a place On Deck Sports, and they make custom netting. un beleiveable pricing. I am getting 42'X2' for $50, and that is only because i could not make the minimum order size!
Old 17-07-2006, 15:20   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Since netting DOES wear and takes UV damage...unless this is very good netting, would it cost you almost the same price to buy two, and meet that minimum?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 19:27   #6

Boat: Tayana 48
FWIW, I spoke to On Deck Sports today, and asked about UV protection. Though they do not say their netting is UV-proof, they DO apply a UV-resistant coating to the individual strands of nylon, before weaving them into the final product. According to them, most others apply a coating after the weave has been completed, which is a simpler, though less effective, way to get UV protection.
Anyway, they are sending me samples of the 4 different sizes of netting available, from which I'll make my choice and place an order. And the prices are GREAT...I will be getting 100' x 2.5', probably of their second-largest diameter weave, for $87.50...at West Marine, that would be over $400, and only stand 2' tall. Great tip, thanks for the lead.
John
Old 18-07-2006, 05:27   #7

I ended up going with 3X50 which was $52 and they have white as well as black netting. This way I can make a "sling" chair out of the extra. SWMBO gets Cudos for this one.

(She Who Must Be Obeyed) aka the wife
Old 18-07-2006, 13:20   #8
GreatKetch

Lifeline Netting

Try www.seamar.com

They had the best price I was able to find for netting to keep out Portugese Water Dog on deck and out of the water.
Old 04-09-2006, 21:36   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
How'd the netting work out

Hi Doghouse and Meridian:

Just wondering how the netting worked out for you guys. Took the kids and the dog out for a sail today and realized that I better make netting a higher priority. Second question is how do you attach the netting. I have a can opener tow rail so I was thinking of just using zip ties to attach top and bottom. But if you guys have better ideas I'll listen.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:56   #10

FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL, OUTSTANDING (did the shouting help?)

The netting is great looking, came with a polyprope rope all the way around it, and carabiners in each corner. I cut mine in half, then half again and attached the rope to the bottom, and zip tied to the safety line. Looks better than most i have seen. Magic slid off the coach roof and right into the netting, and it held.

Oh, by the way did I say I liked it?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59   #11

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
what did you guys use to connect the netting to the lines?
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:49   #12

plastic zip ties.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52   #13

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
lol yea i saw that after i read the post

i was looking at this place http://marisafe.com/store/viewItem.a...5&CID=35303000

33 feet x 2 feet 26.95 however the netting clips are $7.95 per 5 feet which adds up fast.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bruce, depending on the page you read, Marisafe is selling either fifty feet, fifteen meters, or five feet of clips for $10. All different descriptions for the same item, so you might want to check that with them.

Sailors don't need clips, they lash things down. You should have a couple of balls of lashing (cotton and nylon) onboard for small jobs like that, they're cheap enough. Tubular cotton lacing (like a 100-yard long white shoelace) is also great, a bit harder to find outside of some specialty suppliers though. It is still used for bundling wires in harnesses, etc. (Takes a knot well.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 17:47   #15

Boat: Sceptre 41
Doghouse:

Zip ties it shall be. Although I like your idea Hello Sailor about lashing it on I don't think that the cotton will hold up well in the sun and the poly line doesn't take a knot well.

Thanks

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote