Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 18:58   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Charlie-
Remember, cotton and poly aren't the only cordage out there. You'll need black zip ties, the white ones don't have the same resistance to UV, which embrittles nylon. Zip ties notoriously.<G> Remember, unless your sails are glue laminated, they are stitched together, usually relying on that same unreliable dacron/cotton thread, unlike zip ties. And if a ziptie breaks and goes overboard...that's a $10,000 MARPOL violation.<VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 14:16   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks HS:

You seem to be on top of legal issues. It'd be a hard one to prove. Can you imagine doing a MOB for a small piece of zip tie? Anyway I'll look into other types of cordage with UV protection. I prefer knots anyway.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 14:28   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"legal issues."
Just the ones where someone can hurt me with a big stiff fine for something that's easy to avoid. Oh, and if you do a USCG Auxiciliary "courtesy inspection" on any boat over 26' OAL, they'll tell you you need the MARPOL placard onbaord anyway, fine for simply not having it. Kinda like running a stop sign while there's a squad car in plain sight...Easier to just not do it.<G>

I'm definitely losing my memory...for running lines that way, there's a pack knot? caravan knot? that's also good for quickly lashing down a sail in high winds. You take a ball of string (or a coil of line) and take it down, bring it around and under, keep taking it down and repeating...So you really only need the one knot at the end when you're done, and you've only lashed it all the ways in between.
I'll probably be up all night trying to remember the name of that now, someone PLEASE! post that sooner.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Make your own Lifeline “Netting”:
http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/net-1.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 23:03   #20

Performance over time

I am looking into netting due to a small dog. All this was posted in 2006 so I was curious if you were happy with the low cost alternative netting, how well it held up and how it appears now.

Was also curious about what was finally used to secure the netting, did Doghouse go with twine, wire, rope or zip ties, and is the fastening still holding?

Any other observations on this subject?
zcfd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 00:35   #21

I too would be interested in an update on the netting. And where is on deck sports located at?
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 01:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
I too would be interested in an update on the netting. And where is on deck sports located at?
On Deck supplies ball teams, I believe they used the custom size option. Online they are here: On Deck Sports - Buy Custom Netting for Batting Cages, Indoor Sports Facilities and more

Anyone out there but me and thee?
Old 29-01-2008, 01:19   #23

Thanks for responding so quickly. I found it right after I asked. Some of the other sites listed look just as good.

I can't help but wonder how the different netting is holding up after a few years.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 04:00   #24

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Thanks for all the info, my wiener dogs will be safe on deck with your help.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 05:04   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I can't help but wonder how the different netting is holding up after a few years.
The ultraviolet will take it's toll on all of it eventually. Something a bit oversized will give the most miles. Nylon looks the best but black polyethylene will last the longest.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 08:11   #26

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
FWIW - I bought lifeline netting from MariSafe ( MariSafe - Boating products and services designed to make you safe, smart and secure ). Price is reasonable but I have not installed it yet so I can not vouch for the quality or durability.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 08:17   #27

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
The zip ties worked ok for about 6 mths, then required replacement. I am not trying out some stainless steel zip ties to see how those will be. Cutting them required bringing along a file to take off the sharp edges. I only put 2 on so far to see if they are good stainless or not. They are non magnetic, but lets see how they hold up. As far as the netting goes, other than being a little dirty, there is no difference today than when we first put it on. When we wash the boat, it gets a good rinsing to get rid of the salt. I has held up well including when it acted as a sieve for the waves comming over the bow in a storm. The dog did not like that day out...
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 10:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse View Post
As far as the netting goes, other than being a little dirty, there is no difference today than when we first put it on. When we wash the boat, it gets a good rinsing to get rid of the salt. I has held up well including when it acted as a sieve for the waves comming over the bow in a storm. The dog did not like that day out...
Cute dog.

What color netting did you buy? Do you know if they have line of the same material available? I will probably lash the bottom to the toe rail.
Old 30-01-2008, 18:36   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41
I bought the black UV resistant netting from the sports company. I tied it on with UV resistant zip ties. It has held up really well for a year now. It doesn't look as good as the white stuff but it makes the wife feel better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 19:59   #30

Boat: Stevens 47
I got mine from here Netting by square foot, cut to order nets, any size sport netting, nylon nets, nylon pe nets
$0.39c a foot and UV resistant...sized and made to order too...what more could you want at that price...I found this reference on someone's sailblog somewhere and he swore by it.....