Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 13:00   #1

Boat: CORESOUND 17
need lesson on bottom paint

I built a stitch aand glue 17 ft. sailboat I glasses the bottom and follower with a coat of all grip epoxy primmer.(454) I them sanded and faired the primmer. After that I used ppg amerlock450H aliphatic polyurethane ( 4 to 1 ). This paint was left over on power plant paint job I worked on the cost was free . so I could not complain. I never could figure out about bottom paint that goes away
The boat is a day sailer and in the water 4-5 days at a time most more one day
I am thinking of a project boat that needs bottom done I am back working on power plant paint job (same plant new contract) we have one to one high solid epoxy primer the same amerlock polyurethane and now from sherin williams macro poly 640 primer andacron ultra high preformance acrilic polyurethane (4 to 1 ) we are using this to paint lines (water,gas air and so forth)
Did i do wrong can I use polyurethane on the bottom onthis next boat i am planning on water blast with pressure washer sand and scrap till i get down to clase to the glass. If to close will go over with epoxy and sand smooth
Thanks
Mcdermitt
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 13:12   #2

Re: need lesson on bottom paint

No, no no...

The bottom paint is its own system. It will have a primer (epoxy based) that you put over your raw, epoxy bottom, then within a time window, put on the bottom paint itself.

You do not use any paint other than bottom paint below the waterline, unless the boat is kept on a trailer or in dry storage.

If it's in the water and you use any other paint on the bottom, it's pretty much going to peel off.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint