Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 15:51   #1

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
Need a Work Tent for Large Boat While She's in the Water

Am going to be doing some re-coring on my boat deck this winter apparently. I have a Buchan 37, and she's got a 9+ beam. Needs to be leakproof and ventilated and be able to stand up to weather in washington. Ohh yea and cheap-- which may obviate the second and third requirements listed. I tried searching for links-- so if this has been "covered" already please don't think I'm an idiot I just suck at foraging forums. Any manufacturers to suggest or DIY solutions
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:55   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Re: Need a work tent for tge boat while shes in the water

Cheapest way is make some bows out of laminated ply and cover with good tarp

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Cheapest way is make some bows out of laminated ply and cover with good tarp
... Or bows out of PVC conduit, or ABS plumbing pipe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 19:51   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've done many shrink wrap tents with PVC. Use zip ties covered with tape to prevent them sliding around to attach to your stanchions. Run lines fore and aft to stabilize the bows distance from each other and provide a ridge for the shrink wrap. Then either tent yourself using shrink wrap and a propane roofers torch with preservation seal for the tape, or pay someone like Macs to do it. Use nice vents and zipper doors, or build a quick frame door. Shrink wrap is the only way to avoid pissing your neighbors off with the loud flapping of a regular plastic tent. I've spent several winters at Shilshole under tent myself, thinking about doing it again this year myself...

http://www.mactops.com/shrinkwrap.htm
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 10:59   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Need a Work Tent for Large Boat While She's in the Water

I suggest you build a frame from PVC or 2x2s n such and then get over to Uline for the shrink wrap and do it yourself. You can rent a propane torch to do the heating but some of the people at our club do it themselves for great savings.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 11:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Manart-Hirsch
look at kover klamps on pg 33.
Work with low cost conduit.makes framing part of tent easy. Reusable
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 13:46   #7

So an update. We have the boat ready to be put up on the hard at the yard. I went around the yard an looked at people's tents, all that are still standing that is, most have been ripped to shreds due to the high wind there. I am a little confused about the use of zippers and how you attach Zippers to the tarping. I am planning to use heavy duty tarps with double seams and heavy grommet attachment points. Is there a specific way I need to attach zippers so they won't wear through the fabric?
Old 26-09-2011, 15:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Our boat is in Corpus Christi TX - allegedly the windiest coastal city in the country (we get 30-40 on clear days quite often). A 60'+ boat down the pier from us had a PVC pipe frame covered by shrink plastic for about a year. Zippered sections are available.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:32   #9

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Ive done the same thing many times with shrink wrap,tarps,etc. The best way is as minaret said, ive had the best luck with hose clamps to hold the pvc pipe to the stanchions, as long as you plan on having the work completed well before it warms up much in the spring use clear shrink wrap,you will be suprised at the solar gain when the sun is out but it can be unbearably hot in the spring, also i suggest building a solid back with a hinged wood door, its much easier coming and going while you are working, much better than the zipper doors. The key to having a tent that survives high winds is it must be tight and this is easier to achieve with shrink wrap, if you dont want to go the shrink wrap route, skip the cheapo tarps and go buy a roll of the clear reinforced plastic they use on construction sites, its very strong and easy to tie down, no gromets needed. I just grab a handfull,twist it up and tie around it then fold the tail over and tie again, it wont tear out like grommets on a tarp.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:38   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Best $20 I ever spent.

Stimson Marine - Bow-Roof Shed

Max width is 20' and any length you want. Mine is 20 x 32 and 16' 6" to the center beam. Cost <$2,000. So far it's survived a winter and some 70+ MPH winds.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 17:15   #11

Those bow roof sheds are nice, probably a bit overkill for a one winter project though but perfect for a multiyear build project, how does the blue cover work for you Rick?
Steve.
Old 27-09-2011, 12:45   #12

Looking at PVC piping at lowes, do you suggest 1", 3/4", or even smaller? Then the next question which is I would want to have the boat fully enclosed including the sides of the hull and bottom. this is because a lot of the work that needs to done, is fiberglassing, fairing, epoxy, paint and varnish. All of which seem to be temperature dependent so keeping old man winter/weather out is paramount. Also need to find out how you can keep the curing work I will be doing warm and toasty.
Old 27-09-2011, 14:01   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

If you want to tent the whole thing you need to build 1x frames and cover it with Max Katz reinforced plastic, making a shed essentially. The alternative is to build a PVC pipe tent on deck and a separate tent around the hull. This can be done for cheaper. Max Katz is the best local supplier for big plastic tarps that wont rip. Here's a quick hull tent that wont rip built with cheap Visqueen:

Max Katz Bag Company, Inc., Construction Products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0441.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	32148  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 14:09   #14

I think i have 3/4" hoops over my Lindenberg now(with reinforced plastic), i would go with as big as will bend in a nice arc without putting too much outward pressure on the stanchions, ie,my boat is 9.5ft beam, you may be able to use 1" on a 12ft wide boat for example, if your boat is gelcoated its fine to run the plastic down under but not if its painted as it can cause blisters in the paint. As i said solar gain with clear plastic is amazing on sunny days even when its sub zero here but you will need some form of safe heat, we use a 240 volt construction site heater which works great, ive used one of those large 22000btu kero heaters inside the boat to heat the deck from the underside, you can break up the recoring areas into sizes you can heat and set up smaller insulated tented areas over the repair to cure it.Always try to get an area ready and do the epoxy work when the temp is trending up rather than down, in other word get it ready and then warm the area in the morn,do your epoxy work,tent it and heat it so you can shut down the heat when you leave, you dont want a faulty heater to burn down the yard.
Steve.
Old 28-09-2011, 07:46   #15
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Those bow roof sheds are nice, probably a bit overkill for a one winter project though but perfect for a multiyear build project, how does the blue cover work for you Rick?
Hey Steve

It works pretty good. The shrink wrap should last 3 yrs but the tape they supply with it sucks. The UV disintegrates it within 10 months or so. Heat sealing the seams is the best. I'm patching it with Gorilla Tape.

I considered a lot of alternatives. PVC pipe won't stand up to the snow load here and by the time I added up all the pipe fittings I'd need to use galv fence railings it would have cost a fortune.

I'm hoping to sell mine when I'm done. A fella at our old boatyard sold his for $1K and the buyer came to take it down.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water